• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CoQ10 relieves symptoms of Gulf War Illness

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Nothing particuarly new here as a concept but this was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel design study (with cross-over) and

Roughly one in four of the 697,000 veterans of the war has Gulf War illness, according to the federal Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses. Symptoms include memory and concentration problems, chronic headaches, widespread pain, gastrointestinal problems and chronic fatigue.

"It is the first medication study to show a significant improvement of a major symptom of Gulf War illness in the history of Gulf War illness research," said Binns, the committee chairman. Although it's not a cure, Binns said, and requires further research, "it is extremely encouraging."

Golomb said the treatments helped veterans with headaches, inability to focus and fatigue after exertion. There were also unexpected benefits, she said, such as fewer symptoms for participants suffering from chronic diarrhea and improved blood pressure levels. She worked with 46 veterans.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2011-06-26-antioxidants-Gulf-War-Syndrome_n.htm

More study details here :

http://cdmrp.army.mil/gwirp/highlights.shtml#1_12

I'm sure the paper is now (over)due publication. In the meantime Dr Golomb is recruiting patients for a further study of oxidative stress as a biomarker for GWS.

Seven7

Seven
I love my CoQ10, I do better on it than the active forms (ubiquinone I think is called). Brand is also important, I tried a few, settled w Nature's Bounty.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I love my CoQ10, I do better on it than the active forms (ubiquinone I think is called). Brand is also important, I tried a few, settled w Nature's Bounty.

Interesting you say that as CoQ10 is something many people here have tried including myself and haven't noticed much in the way of benefits but I also suspect many (myself included again) haven't stuck to a particularly structured regime.

Dosage and bioavailability may be a major issue?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Mitocvhondrial profile testing showed a severe deficiency in COQ10 in me. No noticeable difference after a period of supplementing, but i know it can take some time for levels to come up when any deficiency is noted. I keep on taking it because i hope it may help to keep me ticking over.

Not surprised to see yet more similarities between M.E and GWI. It would be interesting to run the Acumen labs mito test on them and see what there results are in comparison to typical PWME.

All the best, Justy.