• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl-B12 Startup Effects

arx

Hi,

I would like to know what all startup effects have been experienced by people using methyl-b12 and how long do/did they last. If you could give some detail about your dosage also,it would be great.

Thanks.

place

Be Strong!
Hey Arx,
Well, I went through a period of flu stuff I think, but I am not sure if it was low potassium. it lasted 4-5 weeks. Kinda like my fibro symptoms but slightly more intense.

Anteah

Mb12 5000mcg x2 daily, methylfolate 800mcg x2 daily, adb12 3000mcg every 3 or so days. Nothing for 2 days but increased energy, then BAM sore throat, complete and total flu (fooled me i though i hcaught a virus), lasted for about week and a half, beginning of 3rd week and still trying to play w dosages, but started to even out and less sickish feeling just stronger clearer head, the good effects of methylation started to show up. But still have periodic nerve shooting pain through my arms, depression if take a bit too much mb or ad b 12, stuff like that. Im sure im still detoxing, just not as hard as i was when just starting. Oh yeah, dont know if i should mention, but strange (curry?) Smelling sweat. Really weird, but points to the fact that im detoxing, so im happy.

arx

Hey Arx,
Well, I went through a period of flu stuff I think, but I am not sure if it was low potassium. it lasted 4-5 weeks. Kinda like my fibro symptoms but slightly more intense.

Ok. Just wanted to get an idea for how long the symptoms worsen before getting better. Thanks.

Mb12 5000mcg x2 daily, methylfolate 800mcg x2 daily, adb12 3000mcg every 3 or so days. Nothing for 2 days but increased energy, then BAM sore throat, complete and total flu (fooled me i though i hcaught a virus), lasted for about week and a half, beginning of 3rd week and still trying to play w dosages, but started to even out and less sickish feeling just stronger clearer head, the good effects of methylation started to show up. But still have periodic nerve shooting pain through my arms, depression if take a bit too much mb or ad b 12, stuff like that. Im sure im still detoxing, just not as hard as i was when just starting. Oh yeah, dont know if i should mention, but strange (curry?) Smelling sweat. Really weird, but points to the fact that im detoxing, so im happy.

Yes,it does seem like detox. I get nerve twitching,pains,fatigue,headaches,flu-like symptoms,insomnia and other stuff that comes,stays and sometimes goes away.
I am going to disturb you with some questions:

1.For how long have you been on the protocol you've mentioned above?
2.What brands of mb12 and adb12 are you using?

Thanks!

Anteah

I have only just began about 3 weeks ago. Mb12 is Jarrow 5000mcg, Countrylife 3000mcg adb12, but I am planning to switch to Source Naturals as soon as I run out of Country Life ones since Country Life has folic acid in them.

arx

I have one more question:

Should one wait for the startup effects of mb12(insomnia,anxiety,wired feeling) to subside and then add adb12 to the protocol, or well, add it straight away?

How long do the above mentioned startup effects last anyway? If you've experienced something similar, do share!

Thanks!

L'engle

moogle
I take 45mg and have trouble sleeping. (that's right, 45mg). I decided to try taking it at night, counterinuitively. Taking it in the morning, I am still half awake through the day and then awake at night. I think the various effects it had take hours to fully kick in. So I figure taking it at night it could start working by morning, give energy in the day, and then wear off at night, allowing sleep. I'll let you know how it goes. Other than that I don't get much start up other than a twitching sensation which is not debilitating, and sometimes a mild headache.

arx

I take 45mg and have trouble sleeping. (that's right, 45mg). I decided to try taking it at night, counterinuitively. Taking it in the morning, I am still half awake through the day and then awake at night. I think the various effects it had take hours to fully kick in. So I figure taking it at night it could start working by morning, give energy in the day, and then wear off at night, allowing sleep. I'll let you know how it goes. Other than that I don't get much start up other than a twitching sensation which is not debilitating, and sometimes a mild headache.

Woah, 45 mg!
Why such a high dose?
I also get those twitching sensations and I take one dose in the morning and other in the afternoon. If I take it in the evening/night I won't be able to sleep at night.

L'engle

moogle
arx,

Following Freddd's protocol, a dose nearing 50mg approaches the effects of an injection. I find it doesn't help my brain fog at all unless I take such a high amount. The body effects come in at a much lower amount but I need both.

I took it again last night between 10pm to past midnight. Seemed to sleep well, but that only 2 days in a row so hard to get a sense if it's a pattern. . I hope you can find something that works!

arx

Yeah, it's really hard to find a rhythm during the protocol. I keep trying out things, something starts to work, then it changes again. That's how it is I guess and will be for a while.
Meanwhile, I experienced one more thing. I stopped the protocol for like 4 days because I had fever and was taking antibiotics. I thought I should give the protocol a rest, as it seems to be heavy on my system. So now when I started back again, ALL the startup effects started once more. Before this gap, I had been on the protocol for like 3 months. There were startup effects which occurred in the initial weeks and things had smoothed out over time. Some effects had gone, while some had reduced in intensity. But now after giving a gap of three days and starting over again, I feel like I'm back to square one! Getting hypersensitive to the protocol once again, as it happened in my very first days. Insomia and wired-ness is back. Damn.

place

Be Strong!
I find that when I take a day off, the next day the supplements work better. Maybe I think the wiredness is improvements? I hate to say this, but my goal is to have as much energy to get as much done in a day as humanly possible. I'm such a work-a-holic.

arx

I find that when I take a day off, the next day the supplements work better. Maybe I think the wiredness is improvements? I hate to say this, but my goal is to have as much energy to get as much done in a day as humanly possible. I'm such a work-a-holic.

I think the wiredness is a startup effect and also a symptom for me. I perceive wiredness as over-stimulation in my nerves and confusion in the head. I do understand what you're saying and I sometimes feel the same, nonetheless I do not feel at ease at all, which does not really make me productive. The way I feel "wired" can be best described as over-stimulated with some sensations in the nerves in my head(at times) and twitching at times. I still haven't started adb12, so I guess I'll feel the energy which you mention once I start that cycle along with l-carnitine. Till then I guess I have no choice but to be wired but tired. I want to supply enough mb12 and make myself a bit comfortable with the startup effects before starting adb12, which I know is gonna worsen the wiredness and insomnia.

I have felt improvements over time,though but for me it seems like a very very slow process.

I'm not sure if I have asked you before, but could you please mention what all supplements are you taking as of now, and for how long have you been taking them?

place

Be Strong!
Ok, my wired is like coffee, way too much coffee, kinda spastic =) I was a really hyper kid, maybe that's my "normal" (lord help us all if it is).
Rich did mention using l-cysine to calm ones self down. I did try it and I think it got me more balanced. For system wide energy, I use d- ribose. I was able keep up 75% of the day at an amusement park with my very energetic friends (annoyingly energetic). Moreover after a horrible nights sleep, I don't feel too bad. I can really tell a difference if I skip a few days. For muscle energy, it is l-carnitine.

I have attached a PDF with the meds and doses. I basically started them all around april/may of this year. I have hit a ton, really, a ton of hurdles that I am still figuring out. Memory is a big one and I think adding tyrosine has made a great difference. I find the amino's really work well for me but I rotate them so I don't grow a tolerance to them.

Attachments

• placeMedlist.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 35

arx

Thank you so much place. :)
It is always good to learn from what others are doing and how it is helping them. I also face many mental barriers and memory is one of the major ones.I will consider your suggestions. I read your pdf and saw that you supplement 1500 mg of potassium in a day. Is that much amount enough, or do you supplement the remaining with your diet?

Thanks a lot.​

place

Be Strong!
I do more throughout the day. Up to 3000-4000. Often I forget and then I get tired and forget that I need more potassium. Perhaps I should put reminders on my cell phone to prompt me. That excel sheet is for when I sort out my pills into pill boxes =( Sad... but I can't remember what goes where and when. Thank god for lists!