• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High levels of isoprostanes causes low blood volume?

Emootje

I'm hypovolemic and I tested very high on the urine isoprostane test. According to Dr. Bell these isoprostanes are the best candidates to cause low blood volume in CFS.
Anyone an idea how to lower these isoprostanes?

(9 -18min)

emootje isoprostane.JPG

globalpilot

Am I reading this correctly - your isoprostanes are 10x higher than the upper limit ?
I have had mine measured 3x at laboratoire phillip in France. I have been able to cut the levels in half by doing:
1. Rich's protocal
2. liposomal glutathione
3. vitamin E - tocotrienols and mixed tocopherols

I'm still over the top of the range though so going to add ALA.
You may already know this but isoprostane is a measure of oxidative damage to cell membranes (the fats) so you need fat soluble antioxidants for this.

alex3619

Hi globalpilot, yes you need fat soluble antioxidants, but antioxidants work in networks. Fat soluble antioxidants pass the radical damage onto water soluble antixidants for elimination. These transfers go back and forth. So while fat soluble antioxidants are important, so are water soluble antioxidants. I think ALA is both fat and water soluble, so it has some possibly unique properties. Bye, Alex

globalpilot

Thanks Alex, I understand and good point. I've had the water soluble (glutathione, pycnogenol, C, acai) on board for a while but was missing the fat soluble.

Emootje

Great - thanks for the helpful information.
My test was done at Medivere and they indeed found isoprostane levels 10 times higher than the upper limit. I'm already on a broad spectrum anti-oxidant regime (sulforaphane, NAC, vitamin E complex, taurine, ascorbicacid, beta-carotene, ubiquinol) and I'm now going to add ALA, BHT and liposomal glutathione. The lab also recommended a diet low in arachidonic acid (vegan diet) so no more animal products for me...

xchocoholic

Thanks for posting this. Maybe this explains why my orthostatic hypotension went away one month
after I stopped eating so much meat and added more veggies. I was on the paleo diet and eating 1/4 lb
of meat per meal. In jan i switched to
the wahls diet.

I still have a bad case of pots tho. I get petite mals and sob if I'm up too long.

Hmm, I'm low on elastace and high on lcfas so my metametrix fat levels were off. I'm experimenting
with creon.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Ecklonia Cava extract is a very good, strong fat soluble antioxidant. It alsso crosses the BBB and it also has a long half-life.