• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The stress of decision making with CFS

Misfit Toy

Keep in mind that despite everything I said, homeownership is just not the right thing for some people.....they are just better off having a landlord handle things like leaky pipes, etc. Just think about if you are willing to handle things like that, or hire someone to handle it. I dunno how that works in condos, but I think pipes you gotta fix yourself? Toilets, etc.

I have decided that hubby and I will definitely buy at some point, because I think over the longterm it's the best $$ decision, because my hubby can fix stuff and make those decisions. Having CFS makes it harder, and not having a partner who is handy. However, if you are realistic about that stuff, I would say don't be too fearful.....do it when you are sure you can handle it, both emotionally and financially. But overall, don't fear it.....and don't get into something where the final costs (after adding in all the condo fees and insurance and property taxes and maintence) are more than what you pay now for rent only! Because that is what you know you can handle. And if you can't afford anything that adds up to your monthly rent after you add in everything, you'll just have to wait and save more I guess! :( That is our situation.
I could definitely afford what I am paying now, but mortgage is one thing and then there are all of the other things you mentioned. I would never ever live on the first floor. I can't stand noise above me. I have to have quiet. One of the things I am not loving about condos is it really is just an apartment. It looks like an apartment, etc. I am scared right now and need to wait. I am actually going to look at an apt. on Sunday and it's a first floor apartment. Again, don't think I can do that. If someone makes a noise over top of me while they get out of their bed...I will be up for the rest of the night.
That's another thing about moving. Because I am so sensitive to carpets, paint, sound...what a nightmare. Plus, I want a little community area...meaning it to be near a town . I looked at condos the other day that are in this town that I want to live in, but they are so far from the town and they are right next to one of the highest crime areas in my state. So, it jumps from this truly wealthy area, to turning the corner and being very near the ghetto. It's not really in the town it boasts that it is, it just has that as an address.

Ocean

I think if it were me, I'd look for a rental that's suitable, if you really want to move right now, and then once you're someplace you're comfortable in, I'd look at my own pace at places to buy. If you find the right thing to buy, great, and if not, at least you'd be in a rental that you're comfortable in for as long as you want to stay there. You could look for places to buy without feeling any time pressure since you'd be someplace you're happy in and not feeling rushed to move out.

I'm the same way as you about noise and wanting to be on the top floor. If you know you're sensitive to that, I wouldn't compromise on it. It's made a big difference for me living somewhere where there's no one above me and we've made that a priority on our searches in our past couple moves.

Misfit Toy

I think if it were me, I'd look for a rental that's suitable, if you really want to move right now, and then once you're someplace you're comfortable in, I'd look at my own pace at places to buy. If you find the right thing to buy, great, and if not, at least you'd be in a rental that you're comfortable in for as long as you want to stay there. You could look for places to buy without feeling any time pressure since you'd be someplace you're happy in and not feeling rushed to move out.

I'm the same way as you about noise and wanting to be on the top floor. If you know you're sensitive to that, I wouldn't compromise on it. It's made a big difference for me living somewhere where there's no one above me and we've made that a priority on our searches in our past couple moves.
Agreed. 100%. I don't want to make a mistake. I just got back from the shore for a night and I slept down there like no other. I was with people who are nice and loving and then I came home and the anxiety went crazy, plus it's raining and hot. My pain is high from the humidity and rain and heat. So, now I feel awful. But, I became obsessive online trying to find something.

I need to chill out, get to a therapist, stop feeling like I have a tiger at my throat...it's nuts and awful. And yes, I can't live on the first floor. It is what it is. I know myself. I can barely sleep as is. That will make it worse.