• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Norwegian ME/CFS studies: What is the cause of ME/CFS)?

Ember

April 30
Posted by memhj
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=/search?q=http://totoneimbehl.wordpress.com/&hl=en&prmd=imvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&twu=1&u=http://totoneimbehl.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/norsk-forskning-pa-mecfs-me-senteret-sin-studie-hva-er-arsaken-til-kronisk-utmattelsessyndrommyalgisk-encefalopati-mecfs/

An old-news doctoral project for Barbara Baumgarten?
Publication: The results are published in international medical journals.

Project Start / End: The project started on 1 March 2010 and will end December 29, 2034.

About the background and purpose of the research study says (2):
The cause of myalgic encephalopathy (ME) is unknown. ME is characterized by a disabling chronic fatigue and well-defined symptoms. Approx. 70% of cases triggered by an infection. There is no specific diagnostic tests and clinical diagnosis using defined diagnostic criteria and the exclusion of other disease that could explain the condition.

Immunological studies suggest immune activation, which can be fit with a chronic infection.

Objective: Examine the background of the ME. A thematic Biobank will be established properly, the inclusion period is from 2010 - 2034.

The project is part of the mission of ME / CFS Center.

Partners: Departments of Cellular & Molecular Medicine at St Georges University of London, Medical Genetics, Uppsala University, Karolinska Institute, and Microbiological dept Oslo University Hospital - Ullevaal.

About scientific and scientific justification for the choice of method is the following (2):
For scientific work with ME requires a definite diagnosis. We use established international criteria (Fukuda criteria (CDC1994) and Canada definition (2003 Carruthers et al). Diagnosis is by history, physical examination and sampling to rule out other diseases that could explain the symptoms. At a certain ME diagnosis to patients based on genuttryksmønsteret divided into seven different subtypes.

The evaluation and assessment of subtypes / subgroups:
Subtypes have distinct clinical symptoms and there among other things, link to the immunological and inflammatory diseases. For the evaluation of subgroups of ME, we have established collaboration with Professor Jonathan Kerr, S1. Georges University of London, United Kingdom.

ME debuts often after a severe, acute infection and you often see signs of immunological dysfunction. The part of the immune response needed for an effective defense against viruses is often down-regulated. We will examine the various viruses as possible causes of ME in some subgroups. The virus that is discussed often life-long chronic infection....
Aims:
1. We will deter mine the prevalence of XMRV in CFS Patients and matched controls. A Possible Relationship Between XMRV infection and the presence of Other viruses That are Often Associated with CFS (eg herpesviruses and enteroviruses) Will be looked into.

2. a) Determine the prevalence of CIHHV-6 in CFS Patients and matched controls. If CIHHV-6 is found We Will subtype virus as HHV-6A or HHV-6B. The presence of free HHV-6 virus Particles in plasma (viremia) Will Be Determined in CFS Patients and matched controls.

2. b) Verify That HHV-7 activation is higher in CFS Patients than in controls and That a simultaneous activation of HHV-7 and HHV-6 is found in CFS Patients only. Hope Fully ask the guest to show That in a subgroup of CFS Patients a simultaneous active infection with These viruses is a causal factor. Do CFS Patients garden an Increased shedding of HHV-7 in saliva?

3. We will deter mine the prevalence of chronic enterovirus infection in CFS Patients and a control group. If a reliable diagnosis of a chronic enterovirus infection can be Established in a subgroup of CFS Patients The Possibility of antiviral treatment Will Be Considered.

4. Immunological parameters Will Be evaluated in CFS Patients and healthy controls:
a Various mediators of cytotoxic cell function.
b cytokine analyzes
c. Gene expression markers for immunological dysfunction

Summary:
As we read in the project description to the ME center's study, this is regarded more as a collection of material for a biobank. The objective is described to find the virus that can be the cause of ME / CFS and to subgruppere patients who fall under a ME / CFS diagnosis.

They have plans to take 350 patients and controls annually in a time period from 2010 to 2034. It is not specified when an expected publication of any findings....

Sean

We use established international criteria (Fukuda criteria (CDC1994) and Canada definition (2003 Carruthers et al).
For the evaluation of subgroups of ME, we have established collaboration with Professor Jonathan Kerr, S1. Georges University of London, United Kingdom.
They have plans to take 350 patients and controls annually in a time period from 2010 to 2034.
All good. :)

taniaaust1

Sounds interesting. Must be quite a big study seeing they will be adding 350 extras to the study every year. umm project startted in 2010 ..so i guess there should be over 700 participants in this study by now???

One can only assume they will publish something when they find something interesting.

Can anyone tell us more on this study and if its still going on?

Ember

All good. :)
I liked this too:
Biobank Research

It sought the creation of specific research biobank with names MF / CFS - Thematic Biobank project. As mentioned above, the Committee perceives that the purpose of this biobank goes beyond the scope of this particular project.

The Committee therefore proposes that this research biobank is established as a general research biobank within the thematic area of ​​ME / CFS, and that it informed in line with what is stated above.

The responsible person for the biobank's biobank coordinator at Ullevål University Hospital. The research coordinator is Ullevål University Hospital.

Biobank plan1egges to last until 2034. After this, the material will be treated in accordance with the Health Research Act, § 30 Biological material will be carried out abroad. Participants are informed of this information sheet.