• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is folic acid is like folate in terms of absorbtion and methylation effect?

richvank

Hi, rachel.

"I still haven't seen the attached video but I'd like to know if it's also possible to do both processes, methylation and heavy metals detox, at the same time?"

I think it's possible, but I would suggest trying the methylation treatment first. If it will work, it will help with the detox.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

I understood that the vegetable/magnesium stearate can reduce the absorption's quality of nutrition.

How can I do the methylation pathways panel?

Mimi

Hi Rich,

I got tired yesterday and have been tired ever since. Assuming this is the detox phase, how long does it last on average?

Mimi

richvank

Hi Rich,

I understood that the vegetable/magnesium stearate can reduce the absorption's quality of nutrition.

How can I do the methylation pathways panel?

Hi, Rachel.

This panel is available in the U.S. from the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute. Contact info is pasted below.
It is also available from the European Laboratory of Nutrients in Bunnik, Netherlands. They have a website:

http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/

If you order it from the Netherlands lab, you must specify both the methylation pathways panel and the glutathione panel, because they consider them to be separate, while the U.S. lab includes them in the meth. path. panel.

Best regards,

Rich

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 2300
South Amboy, NJ 08879
USA
Phone: (732) 721-1234
Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

richvank

Hi Rich,

I got tired yesterday and have been tired ever since. Assuming this is the detox phase, how long does it last on average?

Mimi

Hi, Mimi.

I wish I could give you better information, but the paper I cited before is all we have. People differ quite a lot in how they respond to this protocol. I think it just depends on what condition they are in, what they have been through in the past, their genetics, etc. If you go to the section of this detox and methylation forum that has my documents, you can find the one from July 2007 that discusses various people's responses. I'm not sure that an average has much meaning in this situation, because people vary so much.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm sure about my problems with the methylation cycle. I already done the organic acids test and I have problems with glutathione.
Do you have other suggestions for methylfolate without the vegetable/magnesium sterate add-in?

richvank

Hi, Rachel.

MethylMate B doesn't have magnesium stearate in it, but it does have some other things. I don't know if it's available where you live.

You may have to compromise and choose a supplement that has some other ingredients. Some of them are necessary as preservatives, and some help with absorption.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi, Rachel.

There are several brands of methylfolate that are fine. They include Metafolin, FolaPro, MethylMate B, and Quatrefolic.

Methylfolate is a form of folate. As far as supplements are concerned, there are three available folate supplements:
methylfolate. folinic acid, and folic acid. I don't recommend using folic acid, because some people cannot convert it to the active forms of folate very well. Also, it competes with the active forms for transport. And finally, it may have some negative effects, though there is not a scientific consensus on this.

As far as safety is concerned, I recommend that a person work with their physician while on a methylation-type protocol.
There are some possible adverse effects, especially in cases in which a person has certain comorbidities (other disorders in addition to ME/CFS). I prefer starting at low dosages and working up as tolerated. The protocol I have suggested is pasted below. Freddd's approach has been somewhat different, and you can consult his posts in the methylation section of these forums to see what he recommends, which has changed over time.

Restoring the methylation cycle restores the rest of the sulfur metabolism, also, and that improves the function of the detoxication system. If the body burdens of heavy metals are not too high, the methylation cycle can be restored, and that will help to detox the heavy metals. If the body burdens are too high, the heavy metals can block the enzymes in the methylation cycle and related pathways. In that case, chelation of the heavy metals must be done before the methylation cycle function can be restored.

The length of time required varies with the case, but it usually takes at least a few months to bring up the methylation cycle and glutathione.

If you would like to find out more details, you might consider watching the video or looking at the slides at this website:

http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/${weburl}

You can get the slides by clicking on the blue type below the video. The video and slides are in English.

Best regards,

Rich

I understand that you suggests the five supplements from the video to repair the methylation cycle. What about methylcobmalin B-12 and potassium?

"If the body burdens are too high, the heavy metals can block the enzymes in the methylation cycle and related pathways. In that case, chelation of the heavy metals must be done before the methylation cycle function can be restored"-

Did you see cases that just chelation of the heavy metals solve the illness situation or immediately after this stage those people continue to the next stages of the therapy? Do you know if problems with heavy metals chelation/other detox can derive from candida/fungus situation?

richvank

I understand that you suggests the five supplements from the video to repair the methylation cycle. What about methylcobmalin B-12 and potassium?

"If the body burdens are too high, the heavy metals can block the enzymes in the methylation cycle and related pathways. In that case, chelation of the heavy metals must be done before the methylation cycle function can be restored"-

Did you see cases that just chelation of the heavy metals solve the illness situation or immediately after this stage those people continue to the next stages of the therapy? Do you know if problems with heavy metals chelation/other detox can derive from candida/fungus situation?

Hi, rachel.

I recommend starting with hydroxocobalamin. If that doesn't help after a couple of months, then I suggest trying methylcobalamin instead. The reason is that hydroxocobalamin allows the cells to maintain control of the rate of the methylation cycle, and I think that's best. However, some people have such low levels of glutathione and/or SAMe that their cells cannot convert hydroxocobalamin to methylcobalamin, and they need to take methylcobalamin.

Extra potassium can be needed if the folates rise rapidly, allowing the cells to divide rapidly to produce new cells. I think this is more of an issue when high dosages of folates and methyl B12 are used, such as in Freddd's protocol, because the folates in the cells would likely rise faster in this case.

I think it is possible that chelation alone will allow some people to recover, but I don't have quantitative clinical data on this.

I think it is true that Candida can accumulate mercury, but I don't have the references on that at hand now. I did look into that some years ago.

Best regards,

Rich