• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sauna therapy info. needed

Ocean

Is this sauna therapy something one can go to outside the home or something you have to build/put in your home? I don't know anything about it at all but it sounds interesting.

Do steam rooms do anything for CFS? Do regular saunas? Are any of them bad for POTS? What's the difference between Far infrared and near infrared saunas? Thank you!

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Ocean, one of my doctors has really been pushing me to get an infrared sauna. He says it seems to help a lot of his patients. He also says they make wearable saunas. It's basically like wearing a space suit. When you're done with it, it folds up and you can store it under the bed or in other small spaces. He said they're about $400, if I recall correctly.

I'm going to start researching these more soon, so I'll let you know if I find any more information.

Ema

Is this sauna therapy something one can go to outside the home or something you have to build/put in your home? I don't know anything about it at all but it sounds interesting.

Do steam rooms do anything for CFS? Do regular saunas? Are any of them bad for POTS? What's the difference between Far infrared and near infrared saunas? Thank you!
I did a series of about 25 of these when I first got sick. I love saunas. I did feel temporarily better but they didn't do anything for me long term unfortunately.

There was one in my doctor's office but I used the one at a gym that was closer to my house. They let me buy a package deal at a vastly reduced rate. I just googled my city and infrared sauna and found a few places nearby to call.

I would be careful though if you have POTS. Sweating like that can certainly derange your electrolytes and losing a bunch of sodium could certainly make POTS worse. Make sure to sip on an electrolyte drink if possible while in the sauna and after coming out.

My doctor also said it was important to shower immediately to avoid having the toxins just be reabsorbed but who knows if that is true or not...

Ocean

Thanks Ema I do have POTS so it may not be ideal for me.
PWCalvin, I'd love to hear more if you end up trying it. That suit sounds interesting.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks Ema I do have POTS so it may not be ideal for me.
PWCalvin, I'd love to hear more if you end up trying it. That suit sounds interesting.

I use an infrared sauna about every other day. I have one at home. It helps me a lot with symptoms and detox. I do sip an electrolyte drink. I have OI but not POTS, and don't use a high heat. Far Infrared seems to still work even if you don't sweat a lot.

Sushi

alex3619

Saunas are not just about detoxing. They put a jolt into the autonomic nervous system and force it to rebalance. I too have felt good from (wet) saunas. You do need to load up on fluid before and after though ... and never ever jump into a pool after a sauna. Healthy people can do this but if you have OI you could pass out and drown. Bye, Alex

Ocean

Saunas are not just about detoxing. They put a jolt into the autonomic nervous system and force it to rebalance. I too have felt good from (wet) saunas. You do need to load up on fluid before and after though ... and never ever jump into a pool after a sauna. Healthy people can do this but if you have OI you could pass out and drown. Bye, Alex

What is a wet sauna? Is it like a steam room? I've only been in dry saunas before.

Ocean

I use an infrared sauna about every other day. I have one at home. It helps me a lot with symptoms and detox. I do sip an electrolyte drink. I have OI but not POTS, and don't use a high heat. Far Infrared seems to still work even if you don't sweat a lot.

Sushi
What does it look like? Is it a room like a traditional sauna?

alex3619

What is a wet sauna? Is it like a steam room? I've only been in dry saunas before.

Hi Ocean, yes, a steam sauna. You can actually make one at home by making a natural fibre and material teepee and using two medical steam machines like they use for asthma or other breathing disorders. Traditionally saunas were always wet, the dry saunas are modern enhancements. Steam saunas also have the advantage of being able to kill pathogens in the upper respiratory tract - many pathogens such as the flu are heat sensitive. Bye, Alex

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What does it look like? Is it a room like a traditional sauna?

I don't have room for a wood sauna which takes a lot of space and I am not keen on the fold-up type as they are usually plastic. So I got a BioMat which can be folded up. It has 8 temperture settings, and you get the sauna effect by covering yourself with something like a natural fiber down duvet. It works for me but would not be everyone's choice. It is all natural fibers, and is important in my treatment arsenal.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Ocean

Intesting Sushi and Alex. I'm going to have to look up a photo so I can picture this in my mind, hard to imagine still.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
I'm back to update my experiences with a FIR sauna. I bought one a month ago and have been having good results so far. Although, I might have to agree with Ema that while they make you feel better temporarily, I'm not sure yet if there are long term benefits. Proponents of FIR saunas certainly claim they do. I wrote a blog post summarizing my experiences and a little of my research into FIR saunas, here. Bottom line, I think it is worth the price just for the temporary relief, even if I don't see long term benefits. (Although, when you think about it, how can there NOT be long term benefits of detoxifying?)

IreneF

I know I would not do well in a sauna. I haven't been able to tolerate showers for a few years, and I usually do sponge baths and wash my hair by leaning over the tub. I have OI and probably POTS (I have the symptoms but haven't had a tilt table test).

So I would recommend that you be extremely careful and pay attention to how you feel in the sauna, after the sauna, later in the day, and the next day. Plus drink lots of water, or maybe an electrolyte drink.

As far as detoxifying--I've never been able to find out what toxins are emitted in your sweat that aren't removed by your kidneys and go out in your urine. Sweaty clothes may be stained and smelly, but I've never heard that they need special treatment because they are toxin-soaked. Can anyone provide specifics?