• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone notice getting relief by going in the water?

It has finally dawned on me that I get a lot of relief going in the pool - or the ocean. Is that an orthostatic thing? I can be dying, feel faint, and as soon as I go in, I feel much better. Maybe it's just relief from the heat? But I think I feel better being in deep water even if I'm not overheated. Not that I can live in the pool. ;) Just wondering.
Also, my POTS is worse this summer if anyone knows about compression stockings that are not so hot.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
It has finally dawned on me that I get a lot of relief going in the pool - or the ocean. Is that an orthostatic thing? I can be dying, feel faint, and as soon as I go in, I feel much better. Maybe it's just relief from the heat? But I think I feel better being in deep water even if I'm not overheated. Not that I can live in the pool. ;) Just wondering.
Also, my POTS is worse this summer if anyone knows about compression stockings that are not so hot.

Yes, I feel that too--particularly the ocean with the salt water. If you wear a heart rate monitor in the pool you will see the difference. Being supported and compressed by water pressure makes a difference.

I also use cotton compression knee socks even in the summer. They are much cooler than the longer ones and help a lot.

http://www.brightlifedirect.com/STY...-Sock-20-25mmHg---Item#-113/product_info.html

Sushi

Yes, I feel that too--particularly the ocean with the salt water. If you wear a heart rate monitor in the pool you will see the difference. Being supported and compressed by water pressure makes a difference.

I also use cotton compression knee socks even in the summer. They are much cooler than the longer ones and help a lot.

http://www.brightlifedirect.com/STYLE-OR-LENGTH-Knee-Highs-(Socks)-Allegro/c356_144_389/p303/Allegro-Samba-Cotton-Sock-20-25mmHg---Item#-113/product_info.html

Sushi

Really?? I thought that might be what's going on (compression/water pressure).

Thanks for sock site... really helpful!

Steph

Nielk

I have started aqua therapy about six weeks ago and I'm amazed at my progress.
Just like you, I especially feel great when I'm in a salt water pool. It is such a relief of my overall pain.

LaurelW

It helps me to take a couple of baths a day. I always thought it was the water pressure helping with the OI.

ukxmrv

I'm better in water but it needs to be cold and deep. Can't tolerate most indoor pools due to the chemicals but outdoor ones can be OK. Ocean the best. Only problem is not too move around too much or the PEM strikes.

I am better in the water as well, especially the ocean without all its chemicals. Even the brainfog clears...I wish I had the ocean nearby. But like ukxmrv says can't move around too much or the PEM strikes..

Nielk

I have been doing ai chi in a heated pool and find it very beneficial. It calms me down and helps me with my pain.
Ai chi is tai chi in the water.

taniaaust1

the POTS is an issue for me even when Im in a pool which is only just heated. So in my case it seems to be all due to water temp. rather then the water pressure. Even if one wasnt warm, the cold sea would cause the blood to maybe be getting to vital organs more. (being uncomfortable cool, helps my POTS even more).

L'engle

moogle
I feel better from a bath or from going in water, but in different ways. I like a really hot bath with epsom salts to help with muscles, especially in winter. I also think it helps my immune system. In summer I like to immerse in cold water outdoors, even though I can't swim and wouldn't be well enough to anyway. I imagine people are a little puzzled by the fact that I talk about going in the water as though I were champion swimmer, and then when I get to the lake/river/ocean I just stand in the water up to my shoulders. haha.

Dufresne

almost there...
Dr. Cheney talked a little about hydrotherapy some time ago. I think he attributed the benefit to a cooling of cytokines. I too feel better in the water, it clears some of my brain fog.