• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New protocol combines methylation, mito, glutathione support, etc.

alice

Think the best addition to the simplified protocol is going to be NT Factor. Have to repair the damage somehow, and that provides building blocks even if methylation's not turned on yet. Hope my theory is right, b/c I have some on the way. : P

jeffrez
Could you please share which NT Factor you ordered. Seems to be two main sources: NTFactor Energy by Researched Nutritionals - available to doctors only??

The other is Nutritional Therapeutics which has several kinds for whatever ails you with NT factor in it. This is available at several vitamin outlets. Thanks.

alice

jeffrez

jeffrez
Could you please share which NT Factor you ordered. Seems to be two main sources: NTFactor Energy by Researched Nutritionals - available to doctors only??

The other is Nutritional Therapeutics which has several kinds for whatever ails you with NT factor in it. This is available at several vitamin outlets. Thanks.

alice

Hi Alice, I'm using this NT Factor:

http://www.ntfactor.com/nt-factor-lipids/

Most of their other versions have MSM or some other ingredient that would make it intolerable, but this one appears to be only NT Factor, plus the small amount of additives. So far I'm tolerating it.

roxie60

This is what the BioPQQ ingreadient has listed on my B complex w/ PQQ bottle, still dont know what it is or is supose to do or support:

BioPQQ (TM) pyrroloquinoline quinone disodium salt 10mg

jeffrez

so if one is allergic/sensitive to soy we would need to find an alternative?

Possibly. It might depend on the individual. I'm soy sensitive, but I'm tolerating it so far.

I ordered just 2 bottles at first to test. That might be a way to find out if one tolerates it - or even order just one.

richvank

Hi, Roxie, jeffrez, alice et al.,

I asked Prof. Garth Nicolson whether the soy-based phospholipids in the NT Factor products will provoke an immune reaction in people who have a soy allergy. He assured me that they will not. He said that they are free of soy protein, and protein is what provokes the immune reaction. Prof. Nicolson is not part of the company that makes these products, though they have funded his research on them. I know him to be an honest and reliable guy.

I'm considering incorporating the bare-bones phospholipid product supplied by this company into the simplified protocol. It's a multiply nested phospholipid, sort of like a Russian doll structure, and it is thus able to deliver phospholipids all the way to the mitochondrial membranes in sort of a Trojan horse fashion, by sacrificing a lipid layer every time it passes though a membrane on the way there.

In ME/CFS, the mito membranes have taken a considerable beating because of the oxidative stress generated in the mitochondria in the absence of enough glutathione to control it. Dr. McLaren Howard has observed this damage by electron microscopy, and Prof. Nicolson has studied it by measuring the electrical potential of the mito membrane, using a fluorescence technique.

I might note that Prof. Nicolson was one of the originators of the fluid mosaic model of the cell membrane, which has become the prevailing model.

Best regards,

Rich

jeffrez

That's great to know, richvank!

NT Factor has been around for years, but it's always seemed to come in complex formulations that often contain at least an ingredient or two that prohibited me from taking it. I was really glad to come across this "clean" formulation that only has NT factor and no MSM, or carnitine, which I also can't take.

The clinical research seems to be there, so I hope it can provide some repair and relief. If so, it seems to make sense in the methylation protocol, or even without it, for that matter. Thx for the info.

alice

I asked Prof. Garth Nicolson whether the soy-based phospholipids in the NT Factor products will provoke an immune reaction in people who have a soy allergy. He assured me that they will not. He said that they are free of soy protein, and protein is what provokes the immune reaction. Prof. Nicolson is not part of the company that makes these products, though they have funded his research on them. I know him to be an honest and reliable guy.

Rich, jeffrez, roxie,

Researched Nutritionals has a similar product called "NT Factor Energy".

roxie, If you go here:

http://www.researchednutritionals.com/store/item.cfm?code=crn101

and scroll down a bit you'll find a link to videos of an interesting lecture that Prof. Nicolson gave regarding NT Factor.

I have taken Transfer Factor LymPlus from Researched Nutritionals for several years due to Lyme disease.

It looks like Researched Nutritionals sponsors Prof Nicolson, but that Nutritional Therapeutics Inc (NTI) actually holds the Registered Trade Mark for 'NT Factor'. Names are very similar!

alice

adreno

PR activist
I'm considering incorporating the bare-bones phospholipid product supplied by this company into the simplified protocol. It's a multiply nested phospholipid, sort of like a Russian doll structure, and it is thus able to deliver phospholipids all the way to the mitochondrial membranes in sort of a Trojan horse fashion, by sacrificing a lipid layer every time it passes though a membrane on the way there.
Hi Rich, what is the name of their bare-bones phospholipid product? I can't seem to find any on their website that isn't mixed with other stuff.

richvank

Hi Rich, what is the name of their bare-bones phospholipid product? I can't seem to find any on their website that isn't mixed with other stuff.

Hi, adreno.

It's called "Smart Youthful Energy." Sorry about the corny name, but I think it's good stuff.:)

Rich

Mog

I asked Prof. Garth Nicolson whether the soy-based phospholipids in the NT Factor products will provoke an immune reaction in people who have a soy allergy. He assured me that they will not. He said that they are free of soy protein, and protein is what provokes the immune reaction. Prof. Nicolson is not part of the company that makes these products, though they have funded his research on them. I know him to be an honest and reliable guy..

Does that mean it is also okay for those with hypo-thyroidism to take? I usually avoid anything with soy in it because of my under-active thyroid but was considering trying Transfer Factors

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Rich,

I lost the reference to why/where Vitamin D helps in the methyl cycle. Do you have a link to where that is decribed or can you recall where/why it helps in the cycle? Thanks.

Triff

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Its very odd how some seem to have tremendous success with these supplements and others have ziltch. I've been on most of these for years and seen absolutely no improvement.
And Hodgson seems to think low vit D is a key problem, but I for one have very high levels after supplementing for a while and am no better.

I suspect having success or not with these mito support supplements could distinguish two rather different subsets of ME.

Jenny
Jenny, what is your TSH? That protocol above relies on simply a multi for zinc and copper but the amounts of zinc and/or copper in them i not right for everyone, so that could be a huge difference. I have read that PEM i a known symptom of hypothyroid. Well the problem there is that doctors do not have the right reference range to diagnose hypothyroid. Many, many more cses out there exits (TSH >=2.0)

Jenny

Jenny, what is your TSH? That protocol above relies on simply a multi for zinc and copper but the amounts of zinc and/or copper in them i not right for everyone, so that could be a huge difference. I have read that PEM i a known symptom of hypothyroid. Well the problem there is that doctors do not have the right reference range to diagnose hypothyroid. Many, many more cses out there exits (TSH >=2.0)

Thanks for this observation triffid. I've been told that my TSH is normal. Haven't got the actual figures. I guess I ought to try to get them! (I don't have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid though.)

Shelly--

I bought a bottle of PPQ a few months ago, to add to my collection of never ending supplement bottles...;) but I have not even opened it yet, and have no idea what it will do to me if I take some. I think it was Mellster who told me about it, so you might ask him for more info.

It says: Mitochondrial Biogenesis Support on the bottle. The dose is 1 capsule once or twice daily, and under that it says KEEP OUT REACH OF CHILDREN followed by DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE.

That warning is what has prevented me from trying it. If 1 capsule 2X daily is a maximum dose, then it must be strong stuff! I want to know how others have fared taking it, before I experiment on myself yet again. Until then the safety seal remains on the bottle.

Hi Dreambirdie,

Don't you think that KEEP OUT REACH OF CHILDREN is quite a sensible statement for a bottle of supplements? In fact I think most supplements carry these statements, at least the ones in Europe.

My son goes wild every time he sees me taking supplements. He thinks they all taste great because his usually do.