• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: contact your MP! Commons attempt to debate Atos & 1,100 ESA claimant deaths

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just seen this on the MEA site and I'll be writing to my LibDem MP, who I'm shocked to see hasn't signed up yet, to get him to join in:

A Labour MP has launched an attempt to get the House of Commons to debate the £100m-a-year contract awarded to Atos to carry out work capability assessments of people applying for Employment and Support Allowance – which he claims has led to the deaths of 1,100 claimants put in the category for compulsory work-related activity.
In an Early Day Motion tabled last Thursday, John McDonnell (Labour MP for Hayes and Harlington) also praised the British Medical Association whose Annual Representative Conference last week called for the work capability assessment to be scrapped immediately and to be replaced with a system that does not harm the most vulnerable people in society.
His motion also includes condemnation of the decision to allow Atos to sponsor the Paralympics which follow the London Olympic Games and, for good measure, Dow Chemical’s sponsorship of the Games themselves.
Dow took over the Union Carbide company whose plant at Bhopal, India, leaked methyl isocyanate gas in 1984 – leading to the deaths and injury of thousands of people in the vicinity. The event was one of the world’s worst industrial disasters.
On July 3, the Early Day Motion – EDM 295 – started to gather support from non-Coalition party MPs.
Here's the EDM on the Parliament website.
Here's how to find who your MP is and how to contact them.
This is well worth joining in. The EDM page linked above shows who has signed up and from which parties. So far, there are no Conservatives and only one LibDem. Let's not let our MPs get away with stonewalling this! Finally, we've got a high-profile chance of getting huge coverage of the issues around ESA.
Let's get stuck in! :)

Thanks. I will try this and spread the word.

I think I fluffed my yearly reassessment on Wednesday. Dazed from waiting nearly two hours, the nurse kept putting words in my mouth :thumbdown:

Esther12

I think I fluffed my yearly reassessment on Wednesday. Dazed from waiting nearly two hours, the nurse kept putting words in my mouth :thumbdown:

Best wishes for it. They can be pretty repulsive.