• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Test For Gut Problems

paul80

My health is at a all time low and i am convinced my gut is the main problem. Problem is i know nothing about this and lack the energy to learn. Can anyone please help me out with this?

Is this test i found good enough?
http://www.gdx.net/product/10123

roxie60

Sorry to hear your struggling with your health. It has been recommended to use the Metametrix GI Effects test. I have taken the test but can't comment on it yet, still waiting for results. I did have a metabolic test that indicated disbyosis so we are expecting the GI test to give us more specific info. Nanonug knows quite abot about the gut issues and tests as well as others so hopefully they will be able to give you some suggestions. My Metametrix GI Effects test required Dr approval just so you are aware. I thought I saw someone post a place where you can get the test and their lab Dr gives the approval, something like that in case you do not have a Dr that will approve the test (I had to go to another person to get the this test).

Hopefully you will get answers and then a plan to gain your health back!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Paul - i am also suffering a lot with gut problems at the moment (and going on and on) I am about to order the metametrix complete profile, but am concerned about how i will interpret the results. I see they give a smaple report and guide for recomendations on their site - but its till too technical for me. I'm hoping that if i post my results on here someone will help?

All the best, Justy.x

paul80

Thanks for the info.

The test i posted is £100 cheaper than the metametrix one so i'm wondering why it's worth that extra amount.

maddietod

I know this isn't what you asked, but maybe this information will help you compare the tests. This is where I bought my metametrix test, and it costs $359.00.

http://www.yourwaytowellness.com/health-products/item/?pid=617

Direct Labs sells both of these tests, and on these pages there's are links to see a sample report of each one. Maybe that would help you compare the tests?

https://www.directlabs.com/OrderTests/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx
https://www.directlabs.com/OrderTests/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Madie

adreno

PR activist
Thanks for the info.

The test i posted is £100 cheaper than the metametrix one so i'm wondering why it's worth that extra amount.
The Metametrix test uses DNA analysis, which is way more precise than old school culturing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks for the info.

And, the Metamatrix is an anaerobic test (will test for anaerobic as well as aerobic bacteria). The Genova is not anaerobic. This is important.

Another similar test that uses DNA is: http://www.redlabs.be/red-labs/our-tests/intestinal-dysfunction-assays.php . It is called the metagenomics stool test and costs 287 euros. Both these tests will require a very knowledgeable person to interpret them and treat from the results. I have my results from the RedLabs test, indeed they are abnormal, but I would have no idea what to do about it myself.

Best,
Sushi

nanonug

Metametrix uses PCR amplification with DNA probing to detect dozens of nasties. Genova still uses culture-based methods. The former is way more precise. When I had to choose, just a few months ago, Metametrix was the clear choice for me.

xks201

Once you have tested your heart out - drop gluten and add sublingual vitamins. Then add hormones as needed. See how you feel without gluten.

paul80

For the metametrix test, does it matter where you order it from? In terms of transport time or anything else.

paul80

So the redlabs one is about £70 cheaper than the metametrix test. Is there any reason to go for the metametrix test over redlabs?

clive powney

As with the new thread on mitocondrial function test from Dr Myhill - how many here have had this test done, found abnormalities , had them treated , have had significant med/long term benefits from said treatments and been retested to show the improvements are related to normaliseation of test results?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
As with the new thread on mitocondrial function test from Dr Myhill - how many here have had this test done, found abnormalities , had them treated , have had significant med/long term benefits from said treatments and been retested to show the improvements are related to normaliseation of test results?

I have been tested by Redlabs, treated, retested a year later and there were many improvements. But the first test was done before they developed the test using DNA and was not as comprehensive, so while the 2nd test (using DNA) showed that the major infection shown in the first test was gone, it also showed other problems that the first test had not revealed. I am treating those issues now.

And yes, I have had "feel better" results that correlated to the improvment in test results.

Sushi