• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of Yasko/nutrigenomics practitioners?

caledonia

greenshots

How about we keep "greenshots" doc to ourselves and not share her name with the outside world? Not trying to be selfish since anyone already here obviously knows but we don't have to share her with the world so she ends up like every other doc in this field and is battered and overrun with a 3 year waiting list. From adding it up between what she's said to me and my neighbor, she went into this field because there really wasn't anyone other than a handful out there and two of them are out of the country. There's a Japanese doctor and one from Mexico. No one could understand this medicne and as I understand it, she learned about Yasko from meeting Dr. Vank at a methylation conference. She saw how complicated it all was and decided to translate it into simpler terms for everyday people to use for free on her website. I guess she met alotta resistence doing that so went off on her own. My neighbor is a physician whose wife and son are her patients and this is how I was referred to her.

Dr. Mullan MD from S. Cal, but I've heard & seen some less then positive things about her, even though she's the main Yasko doctor. But she is nice and answered some of my questions, a few of them incorrectly, at my first Yasko conference almost 7 years ago. Most others who say they do seem to dabble and haven't been very impressive. I went to most of the conferences when my kids were so sick and everytime I talked to the practitioners, I would wonder over how little they knew of this science? Anyway, Dr. Mullan is a shrink and is focused on autism and womens issues but really knows Yasko's stuff.
Dr. West DO from LA area but I've heard and seen REALLY less then positive things about her so many times, its a long, long list.
Dr. Usman from East coast who is a fantastic person and wonderful doc but only treats kids.
Dr. Nathan, here in Cali and uses Dr. Vank's protocol. We have two families in my biomed gp who saw him and liked him alott, said he seemed to really care, and he didn't overcharge at $500 hour. But it was obvious to us it was sorta a predone kinda thing since they had two very different kids, a teenage girl with CFS and a little boy with severe autism but both got the same single sheet of paper with Dr. Vank's protocol for their treatment and nothing else. The little boy had all 3 MTHFRs, the ACAT, SHMT, and CBS so it seemed worrisome.

Dr. Bhatra (SP?) out here as well who does lyme's, CFS, and autism and uses a bunch of different methods and who like Nathan, seems to really care and also doesn't overcharge.

My doc is teaching some workshops with naturpaths and some regular docs in N. Cali so there will eventually be more thank God for this!!! I'll think some more and add any I can think of so we can spread the wealth a little :)

caledonia

I've been looking over at the Yasko forum and they are suggesting to get testing done with Dr. Amy and get her interpretations, then consult with Dr. Nancy Mullan to help implement them. Dr. Mullan will do phone consultations. Then work with your local doc too.

greenshots

Yeh, everybody knows she's Yasko's token MD. She writes the articles with her too and basically does whatever Yasko tells her to do. See my above post. She sends out all kinds of specials for mother's day, Xmas, etc., so maybe you can get a 4th of july special for 100 minutes of her time for $399. She doesn't even have any office help anymore, had to let them go so I'm guessing the specials weren't helping. My BF still gets all of her emails so its always a hoot to see whats next. As a shrink, she admitted she never practiced medicine until DAN! And Yasko a few years back so went straight from some kind of psychotherapy to Yasko medicine. She will have you go through a Body Ecology diet counselor and stuff like that. She's listed on my doc's site as someone she consults with but last time I asked my doc if she consulted with her yet, she just said "no, not yet" but she's been in her own practice 3 years. That spoke volumes.

greenshots

yeh, he's a DAN! Doc and treats mostly kids with autism and had a falling out with the Yasko camp, too. He makes you subscribe to his website and you can't get any information otherwise. I know a billion parents who got sucked down that black hole and their kids are still messed up. He's all about the money.

caledonia

Greenshots when I said wiki, I meant on here, not wikipedia. There are all kinds of wikis, it's just a general term for an encyclopedia type of web page that anybody can contribute to. If we put the information on a wiki, it will be better than trying to sort through myriads of posts.

To answer my own question, I found instructions for making a wiki page on PR: http://www.phoenixrising.me/forums/index.php?wiki/how-to-use-the-wiki/

You can check out what's in the wiki, by clicking the wiki button in the menu at the top of this page.

greenshots

Caledonia,

I'm not sure what your referring to, I never said anything about wiki anything.
My last post was about what Gestalt said, not wiki? Anyhow, I've been in this medicine for my kids or myself the past 8 years and there just isn't going to be a nice list of docs all over the country to choose from. Its a nice thought but just not realistic. Docs have to do med school plus 3-4 years of residency in their specialty. No average doc is going to quit that to take up a brand new field that they've gotta learn for 2-3 years without any pay coming in. Even the ones with sick kids say the same thing, its great and they want to learn enough to treat their kid but they just don't have the time or money to try to re learn a whole nother field of medicine. Theyre just like us with bills and loans to pay and families to come home to at the end of their work day. Alotta the docs who went into autism have sick kids and they were so overrun that most go off the deep end and quit their practices. Just like the doc who practiced with Dr. Stephanie Cave. Its rare to find someone like Dr. Vank who dedicates themselves to something like this. I guarantee you that my doc would have never done this if her own family hadn't gotten one of the "mystery" disorders.

Then the only ones who do take it up seem to dabble or theyve been doing other alternative stuff like Dr. nathan and thru fate or an act of God they come across someone to show them this stuff while they carry on their practice. Its murder out there for docs too. Then there's the ones that see the dollar signs in a niche field and weve all seen who they are! If I'm wrong and someone has a real list of methylation experts, I'd be ecstatic. But most seem to just be interested in it and have very little actual experience but call themselves experts. Here's hoping for more though because people could go see them and leave my doc for those of us who were lucky enough to find her early on. I am all about sharing the wealth!

caledonia

Greenshots, I was referring to your post about keeping your doc to ourselves and not sharing her with the outside world. Actually I was confused by this statement and probably assumed something you weren't really saying. Anyway, my bad, sorry for any confusion.

In general, this thread reinforces my belief that I need to figure this out on my own as far as possible. Then if I get stuck maybe try a consult with someone. The field is still too new, but it's not like we can wait 15 years until the world catches up.

People, keep the links and ideas coming though, I will check them all out. I'm working on some Youtube videos that will hopefully explain things in clear understandable manner. This will help others, but will also help me to get it clear in my own mind first, so I can present the information.

aquariusgirl

quite a few people consulted with dr mullan years ago... I was one of them.. I only did 1 consultation. I was NOT impressed. Marcia on CFSFMexperimental consulted her for quite a while before she quit.

She said Mullan tried to discourage her from quitting yasko "you're just about to turn the corner.." Marcia is consulting Klimas last I heard.

uni

aquarius,

do you know how other people are doing with the Yasko approach to treating CFS? do you think its a good approach?

greenshots

Gestalt, dr. Stewart is a good guy and really seems to care about the kids alott but he dosn't do yasko or jill james based stuff.

Caledonia, I was hoping to keep my doc's name outta general circulation. When I first came on I had turned my corner and was onto recovery so felt like I wanted to share her with everyone. but now, I realize hardly anyone does this, let alone for what she does it for and I need her for me and my family. My whole biomed grp is terrified she'll be hit hard like all the others so were keeping things quieter these days. Everyone else gets so overrun and then quits that were afraid she'll be next. It might be selfish but I found her just in time and if someone else had the chance and didn't go that route, I have no guilt at all. But I also don't want a ton of people coming to her and having to wait 6 months to get a follow up either.

As for seeing methylation work? I know you didn't ask me but I've seen it work in so many people I can't count anymore. Yasko may have made it way too complicated but she was on the right path. I don't think Dr. Vank woulda said it didn't help anyone, that seems outta character for him to make a blanket statement like that. As far as I know, he didn't do a study comparing fully treated Yasko patients and the streamlined people so probably wouldn't have made a comment about it. But he did say that in his group their SAH & SAM levels eventually came up, even if they had a CBS defect and weren't treated (aka weren't on the RNA). It just took longer.