• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tilt table test

Ivana

Hello all,

Got another question for anyone who may be able to help..

My neurologist (who doesn't beleive in M.E) has decided to send me on a Tilt Table Test to test for dysautonomia (I have all the symptoms) to see what's "really" going on in my head. I told him it's a waste of time but he says the test may provide some more insight into my symptoms... My involuntary symptoms, which the ANS regulates, are running wild. Just wondering whether this test is necessary and if it's as scary as it looks in the diagram I received. Does anyone know if there are any good meds which help if dysautonomia is present?

Best wishes,
Ivana

taniaaust1

Im curious in the why you think this test is going to be a waste of time for you? Most with ME probably have some autonomic malfunctions going on which could be shown up by tilt table testing. That test should be made a standard test for anyone who has OI.

If you do have dysautonomnia.. yes there is certainly drugs what could help depending on what factors are involved in the persons dysautonomia eg if its low blood volume POTS... florinef is used. Treating say if its POTS found on the tilt table test.. may also help other things the issue is causing eg my insomnina got a lot better and that could of been due to the POTS being treated as POTS can cause insomina.

Ivana

oh i told him its a waste of time because he thinks it will help him find the real issue as m.e doesnt exist.. I alrady know what the real issue is. I do want to have it done tho as i have pots and OI. Im already on florinef and inderal but no help.. Hopefully theyll find smeting more helpful

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Ivana,

There are other drugs -- though they don't really get to causes, they can help symptoms. I was given some that virtually took away the OI.

A tilt table test is only as good as the doctor who designs it and interprets it. It can be done in a variety of ways and should be read and designed by someone with a lot of experience in the autonomic nervous system.

If done well, it can reveal autonomic problems but whether these are causative or secondary, is up for debate. The test is hard on the patient (especially if they want to keep you up until you faint!--they don't need to, just until your monitoring shows abnormalities) and usually takes a recovery period--the lenght depending on how they did the test and the individual patient.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
When my POTS began I could not possibly go through that test, very ill, could not walk. Docs did other tests. I forget what all they were. You can look into the right supplements and diet that heals the nerves. I have no trouble with CFS now and my POTS is doing better every every day.

taniaaust1

Ivana.. have you seen that big list of treatments for dysautonomnia.. it tells what treatments can be used on what sorts and also has the basic cons of each treatment? (I forgot what medical site its at but have posted the link at these forums several times before) .

If you havent seen it.. maybe I can find it again for you. There is a lot of different things which can be tried.

Ivana

hi tania, nope i haven't seen it.. If u have the energy, please find the list for me.. I really appreciate it! Im desperately hoping something will help!!