• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: ME/CFS Recovery/Recovering Stories Requested

Here's my info:

Type of onset
Bad bout of 'flu
Age at onset
Degree of debility at its worst (how sick were you?)
4.5 out of 5 at worst, with some periods of several years with few symptoms
Length of illness
30 years
Effective treatments
b12/folate one a day for many years, then discovered high dose methylcobalamin (started 2009, via Freddd on the WrongDiagnosis forum on B12) after a crisis in 2008, Nutri Thryoid/Adrenal (started 2010 after getting thyroid/adrenal tests and finding adrenal exhaustion and problem with T4/T3 conversion). Currently started on T3 after reading 'Recovering with T3' by Paul Robinson.
Degree of Recovery
Varies between 90% at best to around 50%. The digestive problems - incl IBS, acid reflux, constipation - are much improved but the tiredness and neurological probs (neuropathy, memory loss, brain fog) although improved are still very much around.
Comments/Advice for others
The worst thing after having the condition is to have medics and even family/friends not believe you - having support is a lifeline. The best support is people looking together for answers and ways to make some progress, as on this forum.

Very interesting, but no discussion whatsoever of how she became well. Not even a hint.
I contacted her - as I remember it was a long slog that was really aided by attacking her digestive problems...For a good number of people who have gotten well there isn't a single thing they can point to....they just slowly improve over time.....not that many - "X" turned my life around moments....

Here's my info:

Type of onset
Bad bout of 'flu
Age at onset
Degree of debility at its worst (how sick were you?)
4.5 out of 5 at worst, with some periods of several years with few symptoms
Length of illness
30 years
Effective treatments
b12/folate one a day for many years, then discovered high dose methylcobalamin (started 2009, via Freddd on the WrongDiagnosis forum on B12) after a crisis in 2008, Nutri Thryoid/Adrenal (started 2010 after getting thyroid/adrenal tests and finding adrenal exhaustion and problem with T4/T3 conversion). Currently started on T3 after reading 'Recovering with T3' by Paul Robinson.
Degree of Recovery
Varies between 90% at best to around 50%. The digestive problems - incl IBS, acid reflux, constipation - are much improved but the tiredness and neurological probs (neuropathy, memory loss, brain fog) although improved are still very much around.
Comments/Advice for others
The worst thing after having the condition is to have medics and even family/friends not believe you - having support is a lifeline. The best support is people looking together for answers and ways to make some progress, as on this forum.

Thanks Lilian - continued good luck on getting better :)