• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with methylation panel results?

roxie60

with the changes in values are you feling better, have your symps improved? if so which ones? thanks so much for sharing. we have some similar numbers. did you use Rich's protocol or Fredds?

Hi guys- an update! I just received results from my second methylation panel, and there has been quite a bit of improvement!

My first test was done on 2/16/12, but I only began the methylation protocol in late March. The second test was done on 5/30/12, so only two months into treatment.

Here are the results of my first test from 2/16:

Glutathione (oxidised): 0.54 (range 0.16-0.50)
Glutathione (reduced): 2.6 (range 3.8-5.5)

S-Adenosymethionine (RBC): 240 (range 221-256)
S-Adenosylhomocysteine (RBC) 53.8 (range 28.0-49.0)
5-CH3-THF: 15.3 (range 8.4-72.6)
10-Formyl-THF: 3.9 (range 1.5-8.2)
5-Formyl-THF: 4.70 (range 1.20-11.70)
THF: 0.40 (range 0.60-6.80)
Folic Acid: 14.8 (range 8.9-24.6)
Folinic Acid (WB): 12.7 (range 9.0-35.5)
Folic Acid (RBC): 382 (range 400-1500)

Adenosine: 24.8 (range 16.8-21.4)

And here are the results of the second test from 5/30:

Glutathione (oxidised): 0.50 (range 0.16-0.50)
Glutathione (reduced): 3.5 (range 3.8-5.5)

S-Adenosymethionine (RBC): 249 (range 221-256)
S-Adenosylhomocysteine (RBC) 50.5 (range 28.0-49.0)
5-CH3-THF: 19.2 (range 8.4-72.6)
10-Formyl-THF: 3.6 (range 1.5-8.2)
5-Formyl-THF: 3.90 (range 1.20-11.70)
THF: 0.59 (range 0.60-6.80)
Folic Acid: 18.2 (range 8.9-24.6)
Folinic Acid (WB): 16.8 (range 9.0-35.5)
Folic Acid (RBC): 409 (range 400-1500)

Adenosine: 21.9 (range 16.8-21.4)

Reduced glutathione is still low, but it rose from 2.6 to 3.5, oxidized glutathione has decreased into the normal range, SAH has decreased, THF has increased, RBC folic acid has increased into the normal range, and adenosine has decreased.

Just wanted to share what looks like good news. I guess I'll be continuing with the protocol, along with dealing with some nutrient deficiencies, gut issues and (possible) Lyme disease.

(For future reference,) my current meds and supplements are:

Doxycycline 200mg
Plaquenil 400mg
Florastor
Grapefruit Seed Extract 1500mg

Methylcobalamin injection 5mg every 3 days
B-complex injections once a week
Folinic acid 800mcg
L-methylfolate 400mcg
B-complex (has folic acid 400mcg (yeah yeah..))
Phosphatidylserine

Rhodiola rosea 300mg
Magnesium oil

Cheers!
Karina

richvank

Hi, Karina.

It's nice to see things moving in the right directions! Keep it up!:)

Best regards,

Rich

with the changes in values are you feling better, have your symps improved? if so which ones? thanks so much for sharing. we have some similar numbers. did you use Rich's protocol or Fredds?

hi roxie, true, we do have similar results (except for SAMe and 5-CH3-THF). that was your first test, right? were you on any methylation supplements already?

i've been on a slightly modified version of rich's protocol: methylb12 injections, folinic acid, l-methylfolate, b-complex, phosphatidylserine. for the first month i used liposomal glutathione but then stopped. i also haven't been taking the 'neurological health formula' or any other multivitamin or multimineral.

i can't say i'm really feeling better.
some symptoms seem to have improved, such as body aches, flu-like feelings, executive dysfunction/memory loss, problems concentrating.
some symptoms have either just appeared or have gotten worse, such as muscle shaking/trembling, reactive hypoglycemia, the 'wired but tired' state, and a weird feeling of fear/dread that appears out of nowhere.
and episodes of brain fog are happening just as before- they haven't decreased in intensity.

i've actually had some of the worst days/weeks of my life in the past month, when i developed encephalopathy (different from the usual brain fog). i just went for a brain SPECT scan. i really have no idea what causes the encephalopathy- lyme disease would explain it, but i'm not sure i have it :-/ could also be viral perhaps, or metabolic.

anyway, it's difficult to attribute these changes to the methylation protocol, because i'm also on antibiotics and plaquenil, and my symptoms could have changed on their own of course...

it would be a bit scary if my next methylation panel results are perfect and i still have all of my symptoms. but.. it can't hurt to improve methylation either way, i think. and at least i would know that there is something else responsible for the symptoms (e.g. intestinal issues, infections, heavy metals, hormones).

anyway, maybe i haven't improved at all, but somehow i'm still excited that the methylation results have.. ^^

sorry for the long response.

cheers,
karina

just another update- i received some new results.

nagalase: 2.20 (ref. 0.32-0.95)

brain SPECT scan: moderate decrease in cerebral cortical perfusion, in a heterogeneous pattern.
("these findings are nonspecific and may be seen with meningitis/encephalitis, lyme disease or connective tissue disorders such as lupus.")