• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of ME/CFS charities as potential Chase nominees?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Merry, thanks for starting this important thread. I haven't read through all the rules yet, but wanted to weigh in about Phoenix Rising. They haven't won anything yet but have supported all other candidates in past years. This will be the first time we can pay back Phoenix Rising for all the support, I would really like to see them win some money.

taniaaust1

Merry, thanks for starting this important thread. I haven't read through all the rules yet, but wanted to weigh in about Phoenix Rising. They haven't won anything yet but have supported all other candidates in past years. This will be the first time we can pay back Phoenix Rising for all the support, I would really like to see them win some money.

As much as I love PR and would love to see Cort win money for this site. I personally wouldnt like PRs chances this year with the vote changes etc.

There is also quite a few in the ME/CFS community on other sites who wouldnt support PR in the voting (and may go as far as try to presuade others not to vote for PR) and I personally think which ever orgs people are focusing on, will need all the votes possible if we have any chance of two or three of our orgs taking out the money. Last year it took many sites working together to get the ones who won to win... no one site alone will be able to do this.
(PR would have more chance if some of those other orgs, esp those who only just lost last year, werent in the running and hence may have more of a chance in a future year seeing those who win cant be in the comp again)..

I completely agree thou that international votes are extremely important thou (that is what got some of those orgs who win throu.. they were well known or internationally known.. Thou PR is internationally known to many, PR isnt something those in other places of the world would be able to get our local support orgs to put out anything asking members to vote for.

eg I I doubt very much that an org like the Sth Australia ME/CFS org would ask their members to vote for an online forum site such as PR .. but as far as a org who does research goes.. they may well put out something on their site about it and ask members to vote.. if asked. I think the international community can be used in this way, to really aid the votes to make sure a couple of our orgs can win, if the orgs are very carefully choosen to be ones which would be SUPPORTED ALSO BY INTERNATIONAL ME/CFS orgs. (there are several on that list which could be for various reasons due what they've done in ME/CFS history or due to being research orgs.. An international org could do a write up on them and how they changed history and then ask for votes etc

I dont really care which groups win as long as our groups are winning... I dont want to see a case where none of our groups get throu. That would be so horrible and a complete wasted opportunity due to poor organisation.

If we can get some of our orgs in each year.. I see that as a huge win for us. Each one which wins then comes off the list for this competition in future due to not being able to reenter..so those who miss out on being focused on there turn can come up i the future (including PR). (Do people really think there is enough people at this site who would vote and get PR throu just by this site alone? when even main American org know worldwide was lucky to win in the end and I think would of fallen out if that comp had gone another 24 hrs).

We know from the past that no group is safe in this competition even if it appears to be doing VERY WELL even at the last 24-36 hours of it. Hence I wouldnt trust to say to try to get a couple of our groups really up in front and then focus the voting on another group (I think one of ours was at about rank 24 to 36 last year at much of the comp but was wildly dropping at the last moment.. we were lucky all our orgs didnt end up falling out.. towards the end.. i was fearing for all our groups).

sorry if i seem to be knocking PR but logically I personally dont think that vote may work as I dont think enough people would vote there at this point of time with number of votes we will have and with the other ME/CFS orgs PR would be going against. (I myself wont vote for PR unless I saw other communities were also encouraging votes in that area ..wouldnt vote, only for the reason of my doubts that one site alone could get themselves enough votes to win this comp. I will save my votes like i did last time and vote on who has most chance of staying in the leadership board.. last minute votes were soo important last contest).

Merry

Hello, all.

I have just been at Chase Giving and could not find this site, Phoenix Rising, in the database. Next I searched for Rocky Mountain ME/CFS. I did find it and nominated it. I was asked for contact info: mailing address, telephone number, email address, and name of contact person. I knew none of this.

This morning I had to take my computer to the repair shop. I am writing this at the library. I will know in 2 to 3 days if parts will have to be ordered or the computer sent away. The delay may be another 5 to 21 days. I will come to the library when I can, but not every day certainly. I don't have the energy to search the database any more today.

Help with contact info for ME/CFS organizations listed above woud be much appreciated.

frenchtulip

Thanks, Merry. Sorry about your computer! I will pass along on Facebook the contact info you need to have available when you nominate. I will try to find contact info for some of the org's. Hope you feel better soon.

Merry

Thanks, Merry. Sorry about your computer! I will pass along on Facebook the contact info you need to have available when you nominate. I will try to find contact info for some of the org's. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, frenchtulip. Also I recall that Chase asked for website address for nominees. I doubt that they need all this info absolutely, but they want to be able to contact nominees at the end of nomination.

My computer, I've been told, should be ready early next week, say Tuesday. Plenty of time to nominate. At that point 22 days left? Something like that.

I'm ok, just don't have much stamina, and I don't last long sitting up to use the computer at the library. Thanks for your sympathy.

frenchtulip

Okay, thanks. Will add website address as info needed.

I'm glad about your computer. It is much easier to use your own.

I do have a question. Is there a way to tell at the Chase nominating site whether an organization has already been nominated?

I do hope you can rest and feel a littler stronger. Thanks for all you are doing!

Merry

Okay, thanks. Will add website address as info needed.

I'm glad about your computer. It is much easier to use your own.

I do have a question. Is there a way to tell at the Chase nominating site whether an organization has already been nominated?

I do hope you can rest and feel a littler stronger. Thanks for all you are doing!

Hi, frenchtulip. I did not see at the Chase Giving site any information about whether an organization has been nominated or not. The only one I nominated was Rocky Mountain. The second time I went to the site, I spent more time looking for Phoenix Rising and did find it, under a different (longer) name than I was expecting. I asked Cort for the contact info that Chase would like to have, and he's responded. I told him I would nominate next week when I have my computer back. Thanks so much for help and interest. Take care.

frenchtulip

Thanks, Merry! Glad to know you found PR! I will be working on a list of our org's with their contact info this weekend. I'll try to get it to you. Since we can't tell which org's have already been nominated, should we nominate the full list to be sure they get nominated? Do you think we should divide the list, or would you want to do the whole list? I know of a J P Morgan (Chase) employee who is willing to nominate as many org's as we want. Maybe she could re-nominate RMCFA to be sure Chase has their contact info.

By the way, can we still do private messages here? Some of the contact info that I have for our org's may include private emails. Perhaps I shouldn't put that in a public post. Thanks.

Aileen

By the way, can we still do private messages here? Some of the contact info that I have for our org's may include private emails. Perhaps I shouldn't put that in a public post. Thanks.
Yes we can. They are called "Conversations". After you log in, look at the top right corner (Name, Inbox, Alerts, Logout). Put your cursor over Inbox. That will bring up the choice to "start a new conversation" (send a PM) or Show all... to see what is currently in your inbox.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
We should also include Pacific Fatigue Labs. I can contact them and ask for appropriate info.

frenchtulip

Yes we can. They are called "Conversations". After you log in, look at the top right corner (Name, Inbox, Alerts, Logout). Put your cursor over Inbox. That will bring up the choice to "start a new conversation" (send a PM) or Show all... to see what is currently in your inbox.
Thanks so much, Aileen!

Merry

Thanks, Merry! Glad to know you found PR! I will be working on a list of our org's with their contact info this weekend. I'll try to get it to you. Since we can't tell which org's have already been nominated, should we nominate the full list to be sure they get nominated? Do you think we should divide the list, or would you want to do the whole list? I know of a J P Morgan (Chase) employee who is willing to nominate as many org's as we want. Maybe she could re-nominate RMCFA to be sure Chase has their contact info.

Hi, frenchtulip.

Just picked up my computer. Back in business!

I'm relieved that you know someone who can renominate RMCFA and provide the contact info that Chase requested. I've been worrying about this.

We can divide the list with the Chase employee -- or I'll try to do the whole list. It's the list above in this thread? Plus some other organizations that people have mentioned in this thread. I'll have to re-read this thread and the other thread with the contest rulles.

Yes, please PM me with contact info. I can understand that the organization contact people wouldn't want their private emails (and telephone numbers) posted here.

I'll check in here at PR later in the day after I've recuperated.

Thanks.

Merry

When I nominated Phoenix Rising just now, I saw that at the contact info is labelled "optional." But certainly if Chase has this information, an organization is more likely to receive notification quickly. Also, I was wrong about Chase asking for a mailing address. This was not the case. After the name of each charity in Chase's database, a mailing address is listed.

frenchtulip

Goodness! I should have worked on the list over the weekend and had it ready for you. I was thinking your computer would be ready Tuesday. But glad you have it back. Yes, most of the org's are listed above. Some of the smaller ones we did not hear back from last fall, so I don't know whether we should nominate them. But it might not hurt. Could be some money for them if they accept nomination early. Perhaps we should just start with the bigger or better known org's that participated last fall. HHV-6 and RESCIND are not on the above list, I think. Tom H. didn't feel up to doing the paperwork if RESCIND won last fall, but he might be okay with being nominated and getting some early nomination acceptance money. Pacific Fatigue Lab--As I recall, there was a question as to whether they would qualify since they are part of a university. If you find them listed, that would be terrific! Okay, am getting busy on list.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
PFL said they thought they should qualify (was my understanding of what they said). But I didn't realize that we had a pre-selected list again (I'd heard about nominations and thought we were nominating from scratch). That's slightly annoying. I'll look for them. And I'll be in touch.

Merry

PFL said they thought they should qualify (was my understanding of what they said). But I didn't realize that we had a pre-selected list again (I'd heard about nominations and thought we were nominating from scratch). That's slightly annoying. I'll look for them. And I'll be in touch.

Hi, WillowJ.

I don't know in what way Chase's list is pre-selected. I mean it is, but I just don't know if their list matches guidestar (is this what I mean? -- whatever the database for US charities is called). The problem I've run into nominating is that the names organizations have on their websites sometimes don't match the name they used when registering as a charity.

If you can provide more information about Pacific Fatigue Lab (alternate name?) I'd be glad to look again at Chase. Thanks.

Edit: WillowJ, I looked at the Pacific Fatigue Lab website, found their address (Stockton, CA), and then searched at Chase Giving for charities in Stockton, California. No charities came up for that location. I then searched for Workwell Foundation, Pacific Fatigue Lab's partner. Once again nothing.

Merry

From Chase Giving FAQs:

How is my charity's eligibility affected by the recent IRS ruling (IR-2010-59) regarding tax-exempt status?
In order to be eligible for Chase Community Giving, charities must have valid 501(c)(3) public charity tax-exempt status throughout the duration of the program and have been listed in the GuideStar database as of December 31, 2011. On May 7, 2010, the IRS announced that a charity that has not filed its Form 990 for three consecutive years will lose its tax-exempt status as of the due date of their annual filing. If your charity is at risk, we encourage you to take the appropriate actions to preserve your tax-exempt status. For more information on the IRS mandate, please visit the IRS website [.]

frenchtulip

Merry,
Thanks for emailing VT and CFS Solutions. I have a Temporary Error 15 in my Yahoo account and can't do anything. Hopefully, the error will get fixed soon.

Merry

Merry,
Thanks for emailing VT and CFS Solutions. I have a Temporary Error 15 in my Yahoo account and can't do anything. Hopefully, the error will get fixed soon.

Noted, frenchtulip. I don't think I've emailed you anything else since the messages about VT and CFS Solutions.

I'll wait until I know the problem at Yahoo is fixed before I email you about the small organizations list. Most of what I found at Chase matched your list.