• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Air purifiers for removing VOC's - looking for suggestions

xrunner

Hi Sian,
I bought one once when I was battling with MCS. But it didn't work for me ( brand recommended by Dr Ziem) I just couldn't stand the new smell of the thing once unpacked and then its smell when working/heating up. If you can find one you can test before you buy that would tell you whether it works for you.
Smells are no longer a problem for me, nonetheless I'm currently using a special paint to absorb VOC's (only in the bedroom as it's quite expensive). It's called Ecos Atmosphere Purifying paint but I'm not sure whether it can actually help sensitive people. http://www.ecospaints.com/products.htm#purifying

jeffrez

Had the same experience as xrunner. The air "purifier" actually seemed to put more smells into the air than it took out!

A great natural air purifier for VOCs are plants. You can research which ones work best for which VOCs, formaldehyde, etc. but I think in general spider plants are said to be very good. I have a few of them and they seem to grow very well.

Aileen

I don't know if this product is available in the UK . I'm in Canada and it is a North American product but who knows. I have tried a bunch of different air purifiers as I have a terrible time with odours. My most recent purchase and the one that seems to be the best is the AllerAir. www.allerair.com

There are many different models. You would need to get one with a sealed motor. They are made of metal and there is no off-gassing from it. They are expensive. I have an AllerAir Air Medic Plus. They also have a special MCS unit available (same motor as the Air Medic Plus) depending on how sensitive you are. The units are HEPA filter/activated carbon type. You can get a kit with 6 different blends of carbon to test before you buy if you are really sensitive to make sure you don't get a carbon you are sensitive to. I have a unit with the "Exec" (standard) blend carbon and one with "VOC" blend and do fine with both. There is some smell from the carbon at first but no other odours and that goes away with time and of course if you have it at a lower speed, it doesn't smell as much. I have a very severe hypersensitivity to odours.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I don't know if this product is available in the UK . I'm in Canada and it is a North American product but who knows. I have tried a bunch of different air purifiers as I have a terrible time with odours. My most recent purchase and the one that seems to be the best is the AllerAir. www.allerair.com

There are many different models. You would need to get one with a sealed motor. They are made of metal and there is no off-gassing from it. They are expensive. I have an AllerAir Air Medic Plus. They also have a special MCS unit available (same motor as the Air Medic Plus) depending on how sensitive you are. The units are HEPA filter/activated carbon type. You can get a kit with 6 different blends of carbon to test before you buy if you are really sensitive to make sure you don't get a carbon you are sensitive to. I have a unit with the "Exec" (standard) blend carbon and one with "VOC" blend and do fine with both. There is some smell from the carbon at first but no other odours and that goes away with time and of course if you have it at a lower speed, it doesn't smell as much. I have a very severe hypersensitivity to odours.

I have an AllerAir too, but then I am not chemically sensitive so I can't judge the outgassing issue. I do like it though.

Sushi

sianrecovery

thanks guys - very helpful. Plants no help to me as I have problems with moulds and cant tolerate house plants. Had seen the VOC eating paint - maybe I'll give it a try. Just had an environmental study done on my flat which found to my surprise it was good on moulds, but toxic on VOCs, with higher concentrations than found in most industrial settings. I have no carpets, new furniture etc. I dont use smellies or toxic cleaning products. But I have since done a big plastic audit and filled a small storeroom with a variety of plastic boxes etc which I had used to move previously. Ironically, the guy also said my cupboard full of suplements in a plastic bottles probably wasnt helping.

froufox

Hi Sian, air purifiers containing carbon filters are supposed to be best for tackling VOCs. I don't have one myself so I can't recommend any particular one though. I just wondered are u in the UK, and if so, who did you environmental study? Cheers :)

caledonia

If you're still having problems after eliminating the plastic, there may be problems with flooring, paint, plywood, particle board, etc. You can either try sealing these things off with AMF products http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=1, or outgassing the apartment.

The outgassing procedure goes like this: close all the windows and turn on the heat as high as it will go. Leave it on all day. At night time, turn off the heat and open all the windows (you will probably want to send someone else in to do this, and/or wear a charcoal filter mask). This will let out all the VOCs that have outgassed during the day. Repeat until no more VOCs are coming out (might take a week or more).

Of course, you will want to be living somewhere else while doing this procedure.

Since you're in an apartment, is there shared air with other apartments, or any way VOCs could be coming from elsewhere in the building?

slayadragon

thanks guys - very helpful. Plants no help to me as I have problems with moulds and cant tolerate house plants. Had seen the VOC eating paint - maybe I'll give it a try. Just had an environmental study done on my flat which found to my surprise it was good on moulds, but toxic on VOCs, with higher concentrations than found in most industrial settings. I have no carpets, new furniture etc. I dont use smellies or toxic cleaning products. But I have since done a big plastic audit and filled a small storeroom with a variety of plastic boxes etc which I had used to move previously. Ironically, the guy also said my cupboard full of suplements in a plastic bottles probably wasnt helping.

That is interesting about your environmental study, Sian. What kind of techniques did they use?

Best, Lisa

sianrecovery

Hi Lisa
It was Jeff - air sampling for both, labs in the states, molds came back pretty good (not good enough for me obviously, am still plotting to get clear) VOCs came back in the unacceptable do something now range. I just want something temporary to reduce the load immediately.

sianrecovery

Hi Sian, air purifiers containing carbon filters are supposed to be best for tackling VOCs. I don't have one myself so I can't recommend any particular one though. I just wondered are u in the UK, and if so, who did you environmental study? Cheers :)

Hi froufrou
I am in Salford (not renown for its air quality). The guy that did the survey was Jeff Charlton, website is buildingforensics cant remember if it was .com or .co.uk - message me if you want more detail

sianrecovery

If you're still having problems after eliminating the plastic, there may be problems with flooring, paint, plywood, particle board, etc. You can either try sealing these things off with AMF products http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=1, or outgassing the apartment.

The outgassing procedure goes like this: close all the windows and turn on the heat as high as it will go. Leave it on all day. At night time, turn off the heat and open all the windows (you will probably want to send someone else in to do this, and/or wear a charcoal filter mask). This will let out all the VOCs that have outgassed during the day. Repeat until no more VOCs are coming out (might take a week or more).

Of course, you will want to be living somewhere else while doing this procedure.

Since you're in an apartment, is there shared air with other apartments, or any way VOCs could be coming from elsewhere in the building?

Thats an interesting procedure Caledonian, I'll give that a go. I was also thinking about slapping on a coat of the VOC absorbing paint xrunner mentioned - the two things might go hand in hand. Definitely a task to delegate. Yes, I also will be getting VOC contamination from the landings of this block, which are not ventilated.

froufox

Thanks Sian, I actually spoke to Jeff the other week and did not realise the cost of the testing....I cant afford it at the moment, but hopefully will be able to at a later date. Hope you get rid of the VOCs.

slayadragon

Hi Lisa
It was Jeff - air sampling for both, labs in the states, molds came back pretty good (not good enough for me obviously, am still plotting to get clear) VOCs came back in the unacceptable do something now range. I just want something temporary to reduce the load immediately.

I had air sampling in my house and the tests came out as being only slightly problematic. The problem is that Stachy makes a heavy, sticky spore that drops to the ground and disintegrates into poison dust, and thus does not show up on air samples. I reacted really strongly to all my possessions and to the house, and when the remediation was done, a great deal of Stachy was found.

So I'm not a big fan of air tests!

Best, Lisa