• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My methylation journal

I originally blogged in March at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/freddds-b-12-protocol.1104/

I am not confident in what I'm doing, but I am starting. Freddd has some new slow titration startup advice.

I took 1/2 Pure Encapsulations B Complex Plus. A 1/2 pill has 200 mcg Metafolin. 20 minutes later I had noticed very little effect. I took 1/4 Enzymatic Therapy mb12 under my tongue. After an hour, I was wanting to take more. I had different tingly feelings in different spots. I had some fuzzy feeling in my head, but I wondered if it was from having a poor first meal of the day. I started feeling better and better. I had a good large meal and was tired. I took a second 1/2 B Complex Plus 3 hours after the first. I waited a little and took a second 1/4 ET mb12.

I'm glad I had no bad symptoms so far. Tomorrow I could probably tolerate twice as much, spread out during the day.

I am worried that I'll have good benefit from addressing my B5, B6, and other B deficiencies, but that the benefits will stop. I am sure I have some B deficiencies.

I probably need to order the liquid acetyl l-carnitine. I probably need to add zinc, calcium, and vitamin E, but I want to research this. I think I read something negative about vitamin E supplementation. I think I am getting much less than the RDA for zinc. Money is tight.

My daily supplements before starting:
50-75 mg B2
99 mg potassium (I know this will need increasing)
150 mcg molybdenum
8000 IU D3
500 mg garlic
1/2 serving probiotic
1100 mg wild salmon oil
180-250 mg magnesium citrate (trying to at least double it)
2-3 grains Thyroid-s
380 mg feverfew
470-940 mg butcher's broom root
500-2000 mg ascorbic acid (trying to take 2000 mg)
10 mg zyrtec

Today I took whole B Complex Plus, and 1/2 ET mb12. Around 9 hours later I took a whole B Complex Plus and 1/2 dibencozide. I got the bottles mixed up and I meant to take 1/2 ET mb12. I have felt relatively normal. I would blame these supplements for being a little more anxious, wired, tense. It is very tolerable.

I am not sure of what I'm doing. A first goal to was to be at 800 mcg metafolin per day, which I believe I have reached by taking 2 of this brand B Complex Plus. If I had taken the right pill I would be at 1 mg ET mb12 in a day. I did not follow the Freddd's instructions ("under upper lip or tongue for at least 45-120 minutes for best effectiveness") properly, so that will be a goal for tomorrow. I will try upper lip. Under my tongue the 1/4 or 1/2 are dissolving in about 20 minutes.

I am increasing to 2000 mg asorbic acid, 2200 mg fish oil per day, at least 450 mg magnesium, and at least 400 mg potassium. I am working on buying Calcium, Zinc, and Vitamin E Gamma Complex. I am concerned that I would quickly run out of potassium, reading that some people need well over 2000 mg a day. I have 99 mg pills.

I am not getting nearly enough vit A. Freddd says get at least 10,000 IU. I am estimating my wild salmon oil pills have 240 IU each, so I will need some other way to reach the vit A amounts :(

I hope I can afford to get adb12 when I am ready.

My main sources of information:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nd-folate-protocol-with-micro-titration.17818
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/

I won't worry about additional vitamin A beyond 2-6 fish oil. I usually eat foods with vitamin A.

Freddd suggests the gluconate form of potassium.

Freddd advises avoiding vegetables with folic acid and folinic acid? I do not know if I could do this. Perhaps it is not needed.

I will try and read this thread and others.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b-12-the-hidden-story.142/

I don't like that the Vitamin E usually has soy.

place

Be Strong!
Hey SOC,
I did find an E without soy, for 10 bucks. But I'm at work, supposed to be doing work... I'm not sure of the brand.

Also,I have found that I need to take over 3000 a day of potassium. When ever I don't feel good or anything, Potassium somehow fixes it. you can buy potassium for 4.00 for 100 pills.

Please know I have read and reread 100x and still feel like I don't understand. Just keep at it.

I fell asleep after the first 1/4 ET mb12 today. The other doses are making me sleepy too. If I stay awake a few more hours, I will have taken the full dose of Jarrow mb12, ET mb12, and metafolin (in B Complex Plus). It would be hard for every day to be this way. I wonder if Tyrosine would make me alert and help to counteract this. I have wanted to try out Tyrosine.

I think I took 300 or 400 mg potassium today. I am going to take another 300 mg soon.

I keep getting the supplements mixed up. I do have the Source Naturals dibencozide (adb12).

I fell asleep yesterday after more mb12. It is terrible falling asleep when I don't intend, because the lights were on, I had restrictive clothing on, and I didn't set the temperature right. The drowsiness, presumably from the mb12 melatonin production, is getting to me. I am bad at tolerating my sleep being affected. I wonder if both mb12 could be put under my upper lip right before bedtime? I wouldn't be able to wake up in the middle of the night to take another dose.

I am going to try 2000-3000 mg potassium a day, and I just took around 110 mg N-Acetyl Tyrosine.

I fell asleep again when I didn't want to. Trying to fight it led to uncomfortable sleep again. Richvank said some patients take methylation supplements at bedtime. I might have to. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-revised-as-of-today.9447/page-24#post-174138

The Tyrosine felt good, with little or no side effects, so I took a second dose, but I didn't feel like trying more than 220 mg. I don't think the Tyrosine could be enough to counter the mb12 melatonin effects.

The methylation supplements seem to have increased my skin sensitivity, which was already high. It might not be from the methylation. It could be other exposures I have had recently. I started a thread on this.

maddietod

I can't really see the timing of when you added individual supplements, and when you got sleepy. But it looks like you added a lot of mb12 pretty fast (Jarrow + ET). Maybe a simple test would be to not take the Jarrow one day, and see what happens.

freshveggies

When I first stated doing the methylation, it made me extra sleepy. I could barely make it to 8;30. Now it doesn't do that. Seems to have wore off. I would love for it to keep making me sleepy. So what is the key?

When I first stated doing the methylation, it made me extra sleepy. I could barely make it to 8;30. Now it doesn't do that. Seems to have wore off. I would love for it to keep making me sleepy. So what is the key?

I don't know if you can get that effect back. Freddd said after some time, his sleeping during the day moved to the night, so he had a great normal schedule. I think it was just a couple weeks or so for him. Today I am going to try the metafolin (b complex) 30 minutes before I want to sleep, and mb12 about 10 minutes before I get in bed, and see I can reset my bedtime over the next 4 nights.

The plan did not work. I had only been awake for a half day, and I wanted to get sleepy to reset my bedtime. I put both mb12 under my lip. I had taken the B Complex with metafolin shortly before, and if I took this at a different time of day, maybe it would work. I could not fall asleep. My melatonin or cortisol makes me want to sleep at the wrong times, going to sleep when most people are waking up. I need to reset my bedtime soon because of an appointment, and I am scared I won't be able to make the appointment.

freshveggies

sorry it didn't work. what if you take most of them in the morning and then take a mb12 later in the afternoon. Can you have some green tea in the am to help you stay awake?

When I wanted the mb12 pills to make me sleepy, they didn't. I usually take them before bed. I think it is less effective to take them both at once, so I will try and space them out.

I am starting adb12. Freddd says work from a crumb up to 1/4 of a pill. The pill is not as easy to split. I hope I have no sensitivity reactions so I can quickly reach 1/4 a day. Then I will add l-carnitine fumarate (LCF).

I am worried about potassium. Someone pointed out there is a risk in taking more than 1 pill at a time. I figured I probably get 800-1400 mg a day from my diet, and that I can't afford to get more from my diet, unless it's the only way.

I worry that the mb12 pills are affecting my teeth.

I did not realize the methylfolate can get expensive if I need higher doses: "The final need for methylfolate appears to range from 800mcg to 16000mcg or more". I think that would be $3 a day to take 16000mcg.

I'm getting ready to order the LCF. I still need vitamin E gamma complex, zinc, and calcium.

I think I'm getting very low iron in the last 2 months, so I ordered iron pills.

I found 16000 mcg metafolin would cost only $1.50 a day or less.

I have a symptom which I think is from mb12 and adb12. I never noticed it before starting mb12. It is a sudden tingling that is a little painful, and it's mostly in my jaw area. It varies in strength and it comes and goes. It seems to happen about 3 times after I put the pill under my lip or tongue. It is also in my right lower arm, wrist, hand today. I wonder if it's a good sign of healing. Or a bad sign? Or coincidental and not from these pills. There is also some joint aching that may be from physical activity I did, or may be partly from adb12/mb12.

I want to add LCF now. I am nervous. The capsule has 500 mg and Freddd seems to suggest sensitive people start with 100 mcg! If I take 1% of the pill, that's 5000 mcg. I guessed at an amount that I hope is less than 1%. It's unlikely I will have problems.

What am I supposed to work up to? I think I keep adding LCF until I get the "neurological brightening", but keep the mb12s, adb12, and metafolin the same.

I'm even more lost after that. All I know is I am supposed to increase metafolin and potassium until there is a good balance, which could be up to 20 times my current dose of metafolin. There are symptoms if more potassium is needed. How do you determine if you need more metafolin?

That zapping pain was in my right jaw joint area, and was present many times yesterday and the previous day. It was stronger than before.