• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAD -- surprising

SOC

Never in all my years have I found a medicine or supplement whose effect I can see within a day.... until now.

I decided to give NAD a trial after reading this thread. http://phoenixrising.me/forums/inde...fs-nadph-measurement-at-riordan-clinic.15641/

I had tried NADH in the past with no discernible effect, so I didn't have any serious expectations for NAD, but thought I'd give it a shot since it isn't very expensive.

The very first day I felt more energetic, which was surprising, but what surprised me even more what how much it affected my HR. From the first day, my first morning HR is lower. Even better, my "active" HR is significantly lower -- by 10-15 bpm. I can also do more without going over my AT. Previously I could go over my AT climbing a flight of stairs or walking 50 ft. A couple of days ago, just for an experiment, I ran up a flight of stairs and didn't go over my AT! I'm not making a practice of that, of course.:p

After watching this effect for a week and increasing my activity a teeny-tiny amount, I noticed that the effect tended to wear off as I did more and as the day went on. This would make sense of my body used up the amount of NAD I took in the morning, I suppose

So... for the past couple of days I've been trying a new experiment. I know that my HR sitting in a recliner was consistently in the 90's. During the first 4-6 hours after taking NAD it is consistently in the 80's -- about 10 bpm lower. I decided to try taking more NAD when my sitting HR started to climb into the 90's. So far, within an hour of taking the NAD my HR will drop back about 10 bpm.

I have no idea if any of this makes any sense biochemically, or even if the effect really is the NAD. This is hardly a good scientific study. :D

Has anyone else had a clear effect from NAD?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Yes, i have used now brand NAD 25mg sublingual, gives a little noticeable boost. I have read it works in a similar mechanism to Q10, maybe try both?? I have some NAD which i will try soon, maybe tomorrow so i can tell u how it go's.

cheers!!!

adreno

PR activist
I get a similar reaction to NAD. Noticeably lower heart rate, and energy boost. I almost feel too wired up on it, so I'm giving it a break, lol. Q10 has the opposite effect on me - my tachycardia gets out of control.

SOC

I've taking CoQ-10 for years. Never thought about it increasing my HR. :eek:

adreno -- How much NAD do you take? I'm not wired, but maybe it's because I'm not taking a lot.

heapsreal -- If you try it, keep us posted on how it goes.

SOC

Just one 25mg tab is enough to produce this effect for me. Maybe it'll pass if I continue, don't know.
Thanks, adreno. I don't have that effect with 25mg, or even with another 25mg later in the day. I suppose it's just the usual differences in patients. :)

jeffrez

This sounds promising. I get small but noticeable boosts from 10mg NADH, so maybe this would work even better.

heapsreal

Added NAD to my supps this morning, i woke abit sluggish, i think it helped give me a boost.
I use NAD sublingual, can NADH come sublingual? and does anyone know if there is a big difference between NAD and NADH?

cheer!!!

SOC

My interest of this topic began in this thread:
http://phoenixrising.me/forums/inde...fs-nadph-measurement-at-riordan-clinic.15641/)
The details are there, including a couple of links to interesting papers. The upshot, for my purposes, is that NADPH may be depleted in ME/CFS and because it has some important functions for us, it might be worth increasing. I don't think we know if it's easier to convert NAD or NADH to NADPH, but since I've already tried NADH without major affect, it seemed worthwhile to try NAD.

Rand56

I have read where NADH can stimulate the production of DA and NE but does anyone know if NAD can do the same? I've tried NADH before but not much of a noticeable effect plus it is expensive.

Rand56

Added NAD to my supps this morning, i woke abit sluggish, i think it helped give me a boost.
I use NAD sublingual, can NADH come sublingual? and does anyone know if there is a big difference between NAD and NADH?

cheer!!!

hi Heaps

You can get NADH as a sublingual. Iherb seems to be out of stock on it right now but you can get it from Vitacost. I've had very good service from Vitacost before although I'm just not favorable about Source Natural supps....

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=32&y=7&ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=NADH sublingual

SOC

I have read where NADH can stimulate the production of DA and NE but does anyone know if NAD can do the same? I've tried NADH before but not much of a noticeable effect plus it is expensive.

er..... DA and NE? o_O What exactly are they when they're at home?

SOC

Hi SOC

They are not at home in my brain often enough LOL. Dopamine and Norepinephrine :)

Ah, okay. I could probably use more DA and NE, but I haven't noticed an effect from either NAD or NADH. It might require more sophisticated testing than, "Uh, I don't feel any different." :D

Rand56

hi SOC

I know it's been a week since you posted about your positive effect from NAD. Still maintaining the positive effects? Any crashes and/or loss of effectiveness? I have some NOW NAD on order to try for myself.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
I have tried to figure out why I respond negatively to some antioxidants (and also substances which supposedly stimulate glutathione activity), and why I'm sensitive to methylfolate. I became interested in NAD after reading about its role in the pentose phosphate pathway. Are any people here who reported benefits from NAD on a methylation protocol? If so, did you notice increased tolerance?

I will find out soon enough anyway. A few weeks ago I ordered several supplements to pad an order that was otherwise just going to be NAD. However when these arrived last week it became apparent that I somehow forgot to add the NAD to the cart despite looking at it during the ordering! I will have to order it again.

heapsreal

I have tried to figure out why I respond negatively to some antioxidants (and also substances which supposedly stimulate glutathione activity), and why I'm sensitive to methylfolate. I became interested in NAD after reading about its role in the pentose phosphate pathway. Are any people here who reported benefits from NAD on a methylation protocol? If so, did you notice increased tolerance?

I will find out soon enough anyway. A few weeks ago I ordered several supplements to pad an order that was otherwise just going to be NAD. However when these arrived last week it became apparent that I somehow forgot to add the NAD to the cart despite looking at it during the ordering! I will have to order it again.

I have tried NAD with and without being on methyl b12 and folate and found no difference in the effects of NAD which is a mild pick me up/cognitive energy. SInce adding the methylb12/folate i cant say that this has helped me which has been my experience in the past as well. Creatine seems to help me recover from exercise/activity.

cheers!!!