• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article About CFS and Genetics

Enid

Interesting - thanks drex - my brother (Doc in the US) went down with ME symptoms not long after me. I'm sure there must be a genetic susceptabilty involved too.

Ai-Yai

Mad Genius
Interesting - thanks drex - my brother (Doc in the US) went down with ME symptoms not long after me. I'm sure there must be a genetic susceptabilty involved too.

Or all is much more simple - i.e. the disease is contagious. And there are a lot of real statistically observed facts which support the last.

Enid

Yes I agree Ai-Yai - still speculation until all the science is in.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Interesting article- however please take with caution because James Jones of CDC fame was one of the authors!!!
It explains why they focused only on discussing the Neuroendocrine related genes. (they also ruled out all sex-linked genes, potentially ruling out a large subset)

65% sensitivity, 84% specificity is extremely poor. This means that if we were to test 100,000 people, you would have 16,000 false negatives, but only 325 true positives (assuming a prevalence of 0.5%) - eg if you tested positive, you would be 98% sure it was a false positive.

Ai-Yai

Mad Genius
Yes I agree Ai-Yai - still speculation until all the science is in.

Well, bc of this point i usually call people who visit various CFS\ME conferences and\or community\group meetings extreem ones. :D

Unfortunately nowadays a lot of speculation and facts manipulation are present inside science itself.

Enid

Unfortunately always has been with a number of well- known hoaxes over all the years.

Hi everyone,

I'm the one who originally posted this on 23andMe. I've been living with CFS for almost 24 years now. I recently had my DNA analyzed on 23andMe specifically because I was hoping that some day soon they would find some SNPs that were associated with CFS that may help them find both a cause and a cure. I had done a search for CFS SNPs and found this article. It wasn't until after I posted it that I realized that it was an older article.

I also came across this one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21059181 that says that their was a higher frequency of the AA genotype on the rs4680 SNP and at least one C on the rs1042714 SNP for people with CFS. I checked mine and I'm AA on rs4680 and CG on rs1042714.

I don't know what causes CFS but I do believe there is a genetic component. I think there is something in our genes that makes us susceptible and something in the environment pulls the trigger on that susceptibility.

Is anybody keeping a list of the different SNPs that have been associated with CFS so far?

Kathy

Enid

I don't necessarily think it's built in - but more in the likeness of a weakness when the immune system is simply overwhelmed by pathogens. So what tipped my balance at 62 years of age - previously reasonably healthy. Possible susceptabily yes I agree - but the "infections" to my mind need and have all the research going on now ...taint like your ordinary cold as I recall with full blown myalgic encephalomyelitis.

Ai-Yai

Mad Genius
In general i agree with Enid. From genetic poin of view only predisposition might exist and that is far away not a core quesrtion today.

CFS\ME is clearly infection and clearly contagious. I for example try to avoid now CFS\ME people and try to have in general very high hygiene standarts. (I'm even not eating at fast-foods or restaurants where other people are eating the same time. I'd rather buy food and eat it at home, in a car or outside. :ninja: )

But in fact so-called "host-fators" of predisposition for sure include not only genetic component.