• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 878 Available - Anyone already using it?

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
The dimmer switch is a brilliant idea! I've just bought one for under a fiver http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=03BW0GCZHY5PDGT5TPKP

One of the glowing reviews was from someone who bought it to control a yoghurt makes :)

That was quick jace! Another person who used it for their yoghurt maker here:
http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/colitisforum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6123#p29227
I have had great success with a dimmer switch, I got it for about £7 from amazon. I also got a temperature probe and then experimented for 24 hours with water in the pot til I got the dimmer right. It was a faff initially but not I know the yoghurt is spot on, and I also test the temp every few weeks on a batch to make sure.

Has anyone tried this stuff yet? The suspense!

Alao, what is added to the probiotic for it to make gcmaf? Is raw gc protein in the starter? If so, then it would explain why the probiotic cant be used coninuously.

anniekim

Buying a dimmer switch and a yoghurt maker sounds the best option to me. If I do go ahead and buy the Maf 838, I think that is what i will go for. Thanks Garcia for the links. Good luck everybody. Jace, I'd love to hear how you are fare using the dimmer switch.

Garcia, do you mind me asking how you are managing with the Maf 314? I remember you saying elsewhere on PR that you really struggle with inflammation so I thought Gcmaf might be hard for you to tolerate. Have you just been taking really small amounts of the Maf 314 and do you think it is helping? Many thanks

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
If i do find the money to buy this i think i will put it in my airing cupboard. Surely it doesnt have to be EXACTLY 80 degrees?
Another thought is to use a heated propagator mat for gardeners

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Garcia thanks for the brilliant suggestions, and Jace for finding the bargain dimmer so quickly:)

Andrew

We are all talking about temperature control here and I'm starting to worry. What is in this starter, and what do we mix with it?? Is milk involved?? What are the risks of making ourselves sicker if the temperature gets too low and bad bacteria starts to grow in there. Is there a minimum temperature we should make sure we stay above?

maddietod

We are all talking about temperature control here and I'm starting to worry. What is in this starter, and what do we mix with it?? Is milk involved?? What are the risks of making ourselves sicker if the temperature gets too low and bad bacteria starts to grow in there. Is there a minimum temperature we should make sure we stay above?

Andrew, I think the issues are that if it gets too cool it doesn't propagate enough, and if it gets too hot it dies. I expect that it's finicky like yogurt - really liking a certain, steady temperature. I think a fluctuation of a very few degrees is fine, but I'd really try to keep it at the recommended temperature.

Andrew

FWIW, those of you with aquariums could use them without water. There are various terrarium heating devices for reptiles (lamps, heat radiators, pads).

Andrew

Andrew, I think the issues are that if it gets too cool it doesn't propagate enough, and if it gets too hot it dies.

I understand that part. I'm just giving a heads up about the other part

Milk is considered a potentially hazardous food and great care should be taken to avoid the danger zones. The temperatures between 40° and 140° is where bacteria like to grow and thrive.
The fact that you've heated the milk up and killed the bacteria that was in it and replaced it with a yogurt culture, you still need to follow the rules for hazardous foods.

Heat up and cool down as quickly as possible. That's why I use an ice bath to bring the temperature down as fast as possible. At 75° the milk gets innidiated with a bacteria that actually ferments it. The warmer holds it at a temperature of 113° where it thrives.
Just be aware of the rules and how you can control what's going on.
http://www.squidoo.com/homemade_yogurt

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Garcia, do you mind me asking how you are managing with the Maf 314? I remember you saying elsewhere on PR that you really struggle with inflammation so I thought Gcmaf might be hard for you to tolerate. Have you just been taking really small amounts of the Maf 314 and do you think it is helping? Many thanks

Hi anniekim, I've only taken MAF314 once (I took a whole pot). I think it is easier to tolerate than GcMAF because you are dosing every day, where as with GcMAF you are dosing once a week, so its much harder to make adjustments. I got some benefits from the MAF314, noticeably in my gut. I didn't notice any gut benefits from GcMAF in contrast. The other thing was I got exactly the same relaxation at night / sleep benefits with MAF314 as I did with GcMAF.

I got inflammation with MAF314. Not sure if I'd be able to tolerate it long term. But I would imagine it would be a lot easier to dose than GcMAF.

Seven7

Seven
I got inflammation with MAF314. Not sure if I'd be able to tolerate it long term. But I would imagine it would be a lot easier to dose than GcMAF.

What kind of inflammation, where?

Sorry that is what is holding me up from trying yogurt, the inflammation bit scares me, so would like specifics.

anniekim

Thanks Garcia for your detailed reply. Like Inester7, i too would be interested how your inflammation manifests, what are the symptoms etc? Thanks for your help. I hope you can tolerate the Maf 314 or 878 long term...

camas

Received my MAF 878 starter this afternoon. It came in a flip-top pint canning jar that had leaked some, but they had it in a ziploc bag so there was no real mess. It's yellow and smells quite yeasty. The instructions call for letting it sit at room temperature for 5 days. So apparently yogurt makers and other contraptions will not be necessary. What you will need is a new wooden spoon. Here are the full instructions they give:

MAF Production

The starter contains probiotic bacteria and colostrum, which when added to kefir and yoghurt will produce MAF.

Get a gallon glass jar, wide mouth jar is preferable, so that stirring is made easier. Wash the jar thoroughly rinsing away soap residue.

add container of starter to glass jar
add one quart kefir to glass jar (goat kefir if lactose intolerant)
add one pint yoghurt to glass jar (goat yoghurt if lactose intolerant)
add one pint full cream milk to glass jar (goat milk if lactose intolerant)
The goat substitution may or may not satisfy the lactose intolerance it varies patient to patient.

The final mixture is approx. 66 ounces (approx 2 liters) sufficient for one month.

Stir thoroughly with new wooden spoon to mix starter throughout mixture. Keep this spoon solely for the MAF.

Allow glass jar mixture to mature at room temperature for 5 days, stirring each day.

After five days the mixture should be ready for administration and may be kept in a refrigerator.

Take 2.5 oz (approx. 75 ml) with food each morning. Some patients add one teaspoon of olive oil or flax see oil to reduce the gastric enzymes digesting the MAF 878.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Received my MAF 878 starter this afternoon. It came in a flip-top pint canning jar that had leaked some, but they had it in a ziploc bag so there was no real mess. It's yellow and smells quite yeasty. The instructions call for letting it sit at room temperature for 5 days. So apparently yogurt makers and other contraptions will not be necessary. What you will need is a new wooden spoon. Here are the full instructions they give:
Take 2.5 oz (approx. 75 ml) with food each morning. Some patients add one teaspoon of olive oil or flax see oil to reduce the gastric enzymes digesting the MAF 878.

Thanks so much for posting this! Are there any instructions about how to keep the starter if you only want to make half the amount or split it with someone else? Did they send it at room temperature? If so, it might be that it will remain "fresh" at room temperature?

Also, anyone have an idea where to get such a large wide-mouth glass jar? And, for those in the US, anyone know where you could get the goat milk, kefir, yogurt and full cream milk--Whole Foods?

Andrew, I think full cream milk is simply NOT reduced fat milk. It would probably say full cream milk on the container.

Sushi

camas

Are there any instructions about how to keep the starter if you only want to make half the amount or split it with someone else? Did they send it at room temperature? If so, it might be that it will remain "fresh" at room temperature?

Also, anyone have an idea where to get such a large wide-mouth glass jar? And, for those in the US, anyone know where you could get the goat milk, kefir, yogurt and full cream milk--Whole Foods?

Sushi

Those were the complete instructions. He may have meant whole milk with cream? But I just used a pint of whipping cream. Since there's quite a bit of liquid in the starter, it would be easy to split with someone who lives near you if you wanted to make half a batch. I don't know if it can be kept in the refrigerator before mixing. It came priority mail without ice, so arrived warm and I mixed it right up. I'm just using a large clear glass cookie jar that has a lid. My boyfriend's sure I'm going to poison myself, but I've already decided I'll start with tiny doses just to be on the safe side.

ukxmrv

It's unfortunately in Dr Enlander financial interest not to mention if we can have endless supply from one starter kit. See what I mean? I hope it's not that... I hate docs making business over sick and poor patients like Cheney...

I tried to culture the MAF314 but it lost potency over time and became all gluggy, lumpy and smelled awful. It did freeze well though and I was able to go back to an earlier batch and start again. However over time it just seemed to get weaker and weaker. Really happy that I did have the limited sucess I had though. It may be that if I added Kefir it would have worked better - I just don't know. There does appear to be problems here above the normal culturing of yoghurt and being able to keep it going over time.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks Camas for your detailed account.

I thought originally that it would arrive as a powdered starter and so would be able to keep some and not culture all at once. I think an earlier post said that Dr Enlander had said that half batch could be made up - and someone else mentioned freezing. I wonder if this means we could freeze half the starter and make a smaller batch (to start with lower dose and make it last longer) Anyone?

I dont have nayone to share it with locally so i need to be able to do this. I wonder how long the mixture will last in the fridge - even yoghurt etc will go off eventually if you are only on a low dose, rather than the full amount. I cant afford to be throwing it away! I know you can freeze keffir grains/starter if you go on holiday for a few weeks...

Justyx