• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The shot gun approach- mitochondrial/ methylation/ antoxidants

roxie60

Just an FYI, I was searching for d-ribose products and found the NOW D-ribose 4oz at very low price for anyone thinking about getting some. Disclaimer: I dont know the product personally (I'm trying to find a brand to start using) just noticed a low price. Seller had good reviews (if you can trust those). This is just an FYI not a reco. Under $7 and I think that is with shipping, one time offer. I tried putting order for two and price goes up to $11 something.

http://www.nuvalife.com/store/cartShow.aspx?backUrl=http://www.nuvalife.com/store/productView.aspx?ec=1&idProduct=16504&prodId=227&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cpc&b=NexTag_NVL_227_NexTag_NVL_16504_00_*GeoUSCA*

Seadragon

Justy,

What transdermal mineral spray are you using and where do you get it? I seem to not tolerate the high doses of minerals in capsules very well.

Sorry to hijack your thread heapsreal!

Esperanza x

aquariusgirl

Hi Sally,

i have taken these before probably not all at the same time, but i think im now in a different position for these supplements to help me more now after being on antivirals and lowering viral load etc. I think Rich has mention that his methylation protocol probably works better if it is used in combination of going after what infections are an issue. I think i previously didnt get alot out of my supps because i think these viruses were causing too many problems, im hoping its a different game now.
.........................................................................................................................................................................................
heaps: i think this is exactly right...that some of us.. maybe all.. need to knock down the viruses before we can make progress with methylation..

this is what I am trying now.

There's definately a timing issue with respect to treatment & we have to be careful of writing things off...I recall Dr Bradstreet having to walk back his public statements that HBOT wasn't helpful...

I guess he saw some study that evaluated HBOT on its own..and the results were less than impressive.. but eventually he came to appreciate that HBOT should be used as part of a range of treatments....

Got to keep an open mind on this journey ..

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
iherb has arrived, just taken the magnesium, folate, ribose and b12. Saving the NAD to take at a later date.
Lets see what happens.

cheers!!!

BEG

Goodluck, heapsreal. Acetl L-Carnitine has always given me a tremendous brain boost. It's better than an ADD drug. Try putting the di-ribose powder on your unsweetened breakfast cereal and fruit.

It will be interesting to follow your posts and I wish good luck.

Allyson

hi not sure if this is a new post or old but i use healthy origins d ribose powder form iherb and gfind it invaluable for stopping muscle aches
will stop her in case this is a thread from 1977 and await replies

Allyson

Just put my supp order in, doing my bit to make iherb wealthier, maybe me healthier :)
Ribose, NAD, magnesium glycinate/lysinate, folate metafolin, methyl b12 5000.

I will add the magnesium, folate and b12 straight away. later add the ribose and few days later try the nad with it.
Supps im already on - vit e/c, NAC, lipoic acid, acetyl l carnitine, q10, epo, dhea, melatonin.

I will give this a run for awhile, also keen to try undcrv advice of high dose EGCG(green tea extract). resverotrol also on my to try list sometime.

cheers!!!
yeah i take resveratrol heaps; not sure it does much good but i like it; i take a lliquid. magnesium i consider essential
d ribose stopped all my muscle aches in 2 days a fter years of constant aches

taniaaust1

iherb has arrived, just taken the magnesium, folate, ribose and b12. Lets see what happens.

cheers!!!

I hope you have better luck then I did with that combo together. I have MTHFR polymorphism but that combo still did nothing for me (thou B12 in injection form helps me).

best luck.
(I havent tried NAD)

jeffrez

Good list, heapsreal. I'll just make some more or less random comments based on skimming the thread (concentration is shot).

NOW d-ribose is pretty good. I've also tried Jarrow, and found no difference between them. Ribose gives me a definite, slight but noticeable, muscle boost for a few hours after taking it. It's kind of a strange supplement in that once it wears off, there is no noticeable improvement or worsening, it's just like you go right back to baseline, no harm no foul. Maybe there is some metabolic harm at a deeper level, not sure, but from taking it daily for a few months I noticed no adverse effects. One strange thing about it is that if I take a second dose later in the day, I invariable get a really bad, strange headache that night that lasts for hours. Don't know what that's about - I just stopped taking afternoon dose, problem solved, lol.

Personally haven't liked "Dr.'s Best" supps. Was taking a zinc carnosine (pepzin GI) from Jarrow that was great. When they discontinued it, Dr.'s is the only brand remaining, and I noticed it's definitely not as good as the Jarrow was. Might just be that one supplement and their others are fine, but that made me wary of DB's supps from then on. Would rather pay just a little more for Jarrow, Solgar, Now (if I have to), Country Life, etc. Not really impressed w/ Source Naturals for most things, either, YMMV!

The absolute best deal I've found on co q-10 (which can be really expensive) is the Jarrow 200mg. When I was taking 100mg, I just took half the capsule, was really cost effective compared to other brands, and good quality, too.

A supplement that I've really been impressed with is Eleuthero (Siberian ginseng). I buy the Now 250 capsules, take 2 or 3 a day til roughly half are gone, then take a week or so off, then finish the rest. *Definitely* notice when I go off it for that week, but supposedly it's recommended to take a break every 6-8 weeks, so I try to do that. If I could take withania or schisandra I definitely would add those. Think in the long run those kinds of adaptogens are going to provide more benefit for adrenal cases than something like acetyl-l-carnitine, which can give a good mito brain boost, but which I probably wouldn't take long term. Tends to leave me feeling burnt-out afterward, but again, everyone's different.

Would be careful with lipoic acid and NAC, if you have mercury issues at all they could be problematic taken indiscriminately. Have known of a couple people who got a great boost on ALA, then kept taking it at pretty good doses til it overloaded their detox pathways or something and backfired on them pretty bad. Those kinds of backfires can be nasty. Not saying it's a bad supp, just would say to use caution.

I've been taking 5mg of methyl b12 for almost a year now, along with B-right, but haven't noticed much difference one way or another. The folates seem to cause depression in me, don't know why or how to counteract, so I haven't been doing the methylfolate portion of the methylation protocol. But was expecting more from the mb12 and have been a little disappointed. Any more than the 5mg and I started getting heart palpitations at night, so I quickly cut that back to 5mg.

Again, just some random thoughts, hope they're useful. Tell us how it goes.

heapsreal

Good list, heapsreal. I'll just make some more or less random comments based on skimming the thread (concentration is shot).

NOW d-ribose is pretty good. I've also tried Jarrow, and found no difference between them. Ribose gives me a definite, slight but noticeable, muscle boost for a few hours after taking it. It's kind of a strange supplement in that once it wears off, there is no noticeable improvement or worsening, it's just like you go right back to baseline, no harm no foul. Maybe there is some metabolic harm at a deeper level, not sure, but from taking it daily for a few months I noticed no adverse effects. One strange thing about it is that if I take a second dose later in the day, I invariable get a really bad, strange headache that night that lasts for hours. Don't know what that's about - I just stopped taking afternoon dose, problem solved, lol.

Personally haven't liked "Dr.'s Best" supps. Was taking a zinc carnosine (pepzin GI) from Jarrow that was great. When they discontinued it, Dr.'s is the only brand remaining, and I noticed it's definitely not as good as the Jarrow was. Might just be that one supplement and their others are fine, but that made me wary of DB's supps from then on. Would rather pay just a little more for Jarrow, Solgar, Now (if I have to), Country Life, etc. Not really impressed w/ Source Naturals for most things, either, YMMV!

The absolute best deal I've found on co q-10 (which can be really expensive) is the Jarrow 200mg. When I was taking 100mg, I just took half the capsule, was really cost effective compared to other brands, and good quality, too.

A supplement that I've really been impressed with is Eleuthero (Siberian ginseng). I buy the Now 250 capsules, take 2 or 3 a day til roughly half are gone, then take a week or so off, then finish the rest. *Definitely* notice when I go off it for that week, but supposedly it's recommended to take a break every 6-8 weeks, so I try to do that. If I could take withania or schisandra I definitely would add those. Think in the long run those kinds of adaptogens are going to provide more benefit for adrenal cases than something like acetyl-l-carnitine, which can give a good mito brain boost, but which I probably wouldn't take long term. Tends to leave me feeling burnt-out afterward, but again, everyone's different.

Would be careful with lipoic acid and NAC, if you have mercury issues at all they could be problematic taken indiscriminately. Have known of a couple people who got a great boost on ALA, then kept taking it at pretty good doses til it overloaded their detox pathways or something and backfired on them pretty bad. Those kinds of backfires can be nasty. Not saying it's a bad supp, just would say to use caution.

I've been taking 5mg of methyl b12 for almost a year now, along with B-right, but haven't noticed much difference one way or another. The folates seem to cause depression in me, don't know why or how to counteract, so I haven't been doing the methylfolate portion of the methylation protocol. But was expecting more from the mb12 and have been a little disappointed. Any more than the 5mg and I started getting heart palpitations at night, so I quickly cut that back to 5mg.

Again, just some random thoughts, hope they're useful. Tell us how it goes.

Thanks for the tips.
I have been using nac and lipoic acid for more then 10 yrs now, i suppose if it was going to be a problem then it should have been by now?? I use these mainly to help protect my liver from medications like antivirals etc.

I have some siberian ginseng but the last time i used it, it over stimulated me, the times before that it wasnt a problem. The time it made me worse my dhea and cortisol was very low, i have now improved this with dhea supps, so in the future i will try siberian ginseng again and see how i react. I have read that with severe adrenal fatigue that ginseng can cause over stimulation, hopefully now that my dhea is in a better range the ginseng will be ok.

I have tried all the supps above with small effect, but i was in a different level of function and didnt try them all together. Now i have good dhea levels and viral load down, im am noticing an effect with these supps. Im also starting to exercise lightly so hoping these supps help improve my recovery and help me avoid PEM.

So my plan is to do this for a few months and see how i go and maybe drop some supps if i dont think they are working etc and see how things pan out, so sifting through the mud to find what works. I think my main improvement of late has been from the addition of valcyte which i have been on for the last 7 weeks.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

I hope you have better luck then I did with that combo together. I have MTHFR polymorphism but that combo still did nothing for me (thou B12 in injection form helps me).

best luck.
(I havent tried NAD)
hi Tania, my previous attempts at methy b12 and folate didnt do much for me either and like you the b12 injections helped some. I dont know if i have MTHFR. Like i have already mentioned, i think im in a different place with my cfs so i will give the b12/folate another run and see what happens.
I have used NAD before and it did give me a little boost, next week i will add it and see what happens.

cheers!!!

jeffrez

Thanks for the tips.
I have been using nac and lipoic acid for more then 10 yrs now, i suppose if it was going to be a problem then it should have been by now?? I use these mainly to help protect my liver from medications like antivirals etc.

I have some siberian ginseng but the last time i used it, it over stimulated me, the times before that it wasnt a problem. The time it made me worse my dhea and cortisol was very low, i have now improved this with dhea supps, so in the future i will try siberian ginseng again and see how i react. I have read that with severe adrenal fatigue that ginseng can cause over stimulation, hopefully now that my dhea is in a better range the ginseng will be ok.

I have tried all the supps above with small effect, but i was in a different level of function and didnt try them all together. Now i have good dhea levels and viral load down, im am noticing an effect with these supps. Im also starting to exercise lightly so hoping these supps help improve my recovery and help me avoid PEM.

So my plan is to do this for a few months and see how i go and maybe drop some supps if i dont think they are working etc and see how things pan out, so sifting through the mud to find what works. I think my main improvement of late has been from the addition of valcyte which i have been on for the last 7 weeks.

cheers!!!

Yes, I suppose ten years is a good trial! Lol

I OD'd on NAC once - it backfired on me, and my lungs felt like they were full of needles for 3 months. Not very pleasant! But by now it seems you've figured out what works for you.

Sounds like you have a good game plan. I've heard as a general rule of thumb give something 3 months to see an effect. If you don't notice anything positive, move on. Hope you continue making progress with the valcyte.

Oh yeah - I've gotten results with NADH, too. It's a good supplement. I get side effects from it now, but it's definitely one of the ones that seems to "do something."

Btw, have you tried the licorice extract? I think Nutricology makes a good one, avail at iherb. Not only does it help with adrenals, but is said to be anti-viral, too.

GL!!

jeffrez

That must have been a lot of NAC! I take it every day. Dose and brands are key.

It was - like 2,000-3,000 mg. per day. Some doc had reported good benefits from that amount so I tried it. Thankfully there was no long-term harm from it. I don't remember the brand it was so long ago. What brand and dose do you take?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
t was - like 2,000-3,000 mg. per day. Some doc had reported good benefits from that amount so I tried it. Thankfully there was no long-term harm from it. I don't remember the brand it was so long ago. What brand and dose do you take?

I take 1/2 of a 900mg NAC daily. My doctor like Designs for Health brand on that and most of my supplements