• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 878 Available - Anyone already using it?

maddietod

I just went on eBay to see how this would work, and there is no shipping discount for multiple orders in the US. It costs $12 for shipping for each $125 order.

shannah

Inester, I've been emailing Dr Enlander's office and they said you can use shop bought kefir and you can refridgerate it after leaving it out for five days at approx 80 degrees. Being quite cold here in the UK, i am trying to work out a way of keeping it at 80F for those first five days.

This 80 degrees has me stumped as well. Room temperature is too cool yet any of the yogurt makers are too hot to be used as a warming tray!

I just tried turning on the oven light with the oven off, and leaving it sit for a while. It registered at about 97 degrees. This is with an appliance bulb which I think is around 15 or 20 watts. So this idea won't pan out!

This 80 degrees has me stumped as well. Room temperature is too cool

Anyone who has an extra bathroom, room, or large closet can put a heater set on 80 degrees. I would be careful about putting a heater in a small closet, too near anything flammable or without enough ventilation.

jace

Off the fence
Not many of us have an airing cupboard these days, where the hot water tank might be kept, but somewhere like that, near a hot water tank, might work. Alternatively, a yoghurt maker with a platform inserted to raise the pots above the heating element is another way to go. For either, you need an accurate room thermometer or digital probe thermometer to adjust the position to optimise to 80F / 26.5C

shannah

By leaving the oven light on, leaving the door ajar probably 25%, adjusting the height of the racks to the lowest level and bringing the thermometer to the front of the oven, I've managed to get it to register at 80 degrees. So it looks like it can be done. A jar filled with the probiotics with a thermometer taped to it would probably just require a little play to get it into a controlled location.

anniekim

By leaving the oven light on, leaving the door ajar probably 25%, adjusting the height of the racks to the lowest level and bringing the thermometer to the front of the oven, I've managed to get it to register at 80 degrees. So it looks like it can be done. A jar filled with the probiotics with a thermometer taped to it would probably just require a little play to get it into a controlled location.

Thanks Shannah for sharing this. Unfortunately I don't have an airing cupboard, like at my mum's, otherwise this is what i would use, so I think I will experiment with the oven light and make sure i don't prepare any meals that require the oven for those five days! I don't plan to order the Maf 838 for another couple of months, but it's good to prepare...

shannah

Can't we set a yogurt maker to 80 degrees?

Any of the ones I've seen Jen have been preset, usually around the 110 degree mark plus or minus 5 degrees or so. I haven't found one with a variable temperature control - don't think they make one.

Forebearance

Froufox said "Thanks Forebearance, I didnt know that you could rub GcMAF into the skin, how does that compare with injections? Glad it helped anyway. Sorry about the the flare up of the infection, these critters are hard to deal with!"

I am assuming that it would be a lot weaker to rub GcMAF into skin than take it as injections. That is why I did it.
I hope your tick-borne infection gets better soon!

Thanks for the info, Garcia!

ukxmrv

I used a rice cooker and a thermometer (2 in fact to double check) to make my first batch of yoghurt and I checked the temperature at night and my husband did the morning shift.

There are yoghurt makers that can set the temp but can be hard to find.

maddietod

Does anybody have a crock pot they could test? We can make smaller batches, so I'm wondering if a quart container on a dishtowel in a crock pot on low might work.

shannah

People apparently make yogurt with a crockpot all the time BUT the temperature is very hard to control as they heat up much higher than the needed 110 degrees. So you're constantly turning the machine on for a few minutes then off while watching a thermometer.

MAF 878 requires 80 degrees - barely more than room temperature - so VERY low.

There is such a thing as a 'temperature controller' that can be hooked up to appliances such as crock pots or rice cookers to regulate the temperature. I'm just researching them now. Many are extremely pricey and you can actually make your own - if you are electronically inclined.

jenbooks

Darn. I got this yogurt maker with some gift cards online. I guess I can use it to make yogurt. I was hoping it would make the MAF. I don['t know how to get 80 degrees.

I have a friend who makes her own yogurt using just a foam type ice chest that they have placed a light bulb into. I keep wondering if this could be done using just a night light bulb of say, 4 watts. May be worth a try.

maddietod

The cheapest idea might be the heater in a tiny space. Very small heaters with simple thermostats cost about $20. I've got one I use during the winter to keep a small space warm for my outdoor cat. I'm not sure how reliable the thermostat is.

Forebearance

I used to know someone who made yogurt by leaving it out on the kitchen counter overnight.
I wonder if it would be good enough to just turn off the AC and let the summer air in. It would be around 80 inside, where I am, these days.

hixxy

Has anyone actually ordered the MAF 878 and got whatever instructions come with it? I'm interested in reading exactly what making this up entails before committing to it. Can someone perhaps scan whatever documentation comes with it and post it somewhere?

This achieving 80 degrees sounds like a pain in the butt.