• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beta Glucan as surrogate for GcMAF /macrophage activator?, any experiences, opinions?

xrunner

Not sure if can this be of any help but I was in a similar situation when I first started with abx.
It took me two years to get there (I hated abx) and after a week I started to feel really awful, like a full blown flu. At that point I thought I had made huge mistake and wanted to stop but continued only because my doc insisted.
Perhaps the only way one can be sure something is working is to see whether there's an improvement after discontinuing.
Personally, if something works (i.e. abx), I'd expect to see some improvements sooner rather than later.Certainly, I wouldn't push for two months or even one month unless I was sure. If something works, you can always go back to it.

Mij

Xrunner, I assume you were treating a known infection with the abxs. In this case it's not a shot in the dark and negative symptoms are expected. I was treated for h.pylori years ago and felt awful intially and expected to feel awful.

Treating with BG and TF is a shot in the dark for people with ME. We really don't know what is happening.

Adreno, I would discontinue if I were you. seriously.

Adster

I know I have yeast issues, so maybe that's why it's helping me. Sinus infections can be caused by this, apparently.

Sorry to hear that it made you worse Mij, that's really awful :(

xrunner

Xrunner, I assume you were treating a known infection with the abxs. In this case it's not a shot in the dark and negative symptoms are expected. I was treated for h.pylori years ago and felt awful intially and expected to feel awful.

Treating with BG and TF is a shot in the dark for people with ME. We really don't know what is happening.
Yes Mij, for infections. And yes BG are different. I was trying to make a more general point. After that experience, before I take any risk with anything (which we usually have to if we want to make some progress with this illness...) I personally test it for brief periods until I feel comfortable that it's worth it.
Mind you it's not that straightforward all the time. For e.g. I have tried Kmaf a couple of times. It makes feel not so good and I'm still unsure whether it actually works in a positive way. I'll probably have to try it again before making a decision.

Hip

I have a list of supplements that stimulate macrophages:

Beta glucans (stimulates macrophages).

Astragalus membranaceus (stimulates macrophage and monocyte proliferation).

Panax ginseng (revs up macrophages and natural killer cells).

Fucoidan from Ecklonia cava (enhances phagocytosis by macrophages).

Berberine (activates macrophages).

Olive leaf extract (oleuropein in olive leaf increases macrophage mediated responses).

Echinacea (increases the amount of macrophages).

Green tea (EGCG in green tea increases macrophage activation).

Tulsi tea / Ocimum sanctum (increases macrophage function).

Vitamin C (increases macrophage function).

Last edited:

shannah

I have a list of supplements that stimulate macrophages:

Beta glucans (stimulates macrophages).

stragalus membranaceus (stimulates macrophage and monocyte proliferation).

Panax ginseng (revs up macrophages and natural killer cells).

Fucoidan from Ecklonia cava (enhances phagocytosis by macrophages).

Berberine (activates macrophages).

Olive leaf extract (oleuropein in olive leaf increases macrophage mediated responses).

Echinacea (increases the amount of macrophages).

Green tea (EGCG in green tea increases macrophage activation).

Tulsi tea / Ocimum sanctum (increases macrophage function).

Vitamin C (increases macrophage function).

Great list Hip! I have made some advances with some of the things on your list.

Lactoferrin apparently activates macrophages as well. I did a search for it on the forum but nothing comes up. Yet there seems to have been alot of research on it over the years. I seem to benefitting from it now. Anybody tried it?

Some links
Neutrophil-macrophage cooperation in the host defence against mycobacterial infections
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2770507

Activation of macrophages by lactoferrin: secretion of TNF-alpha, IL-8 and NO
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9315285

chilove

I'm thinking that most of the negative responses people are having to beta glucan is die off toxicity from pathogens dying.