• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where in Ont do they test for Leaky Gut?

Aileen

I'm going to see my doc in a few days and wanted to have the lactulose/mannitol test also known as a PolyethelyneGlycol (PEG) test. I can't seem to find a lab that does this test though. Gamma/Dynacare, CML, the local hospitals ... none of them do it. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone in Ontario had this test?

Aileen

Thanks Nanonug. Has anyone had testing done through Genova (formerly called Great Smokies Diagnostics)?

Aileen

I couldn't find anyone in ontario so had to send the sample to the US ... doctors data I think.

Did you have any problem shipping it? What about getting the doctor to deal with an American lab. Both that were suggested don't give prices or other info to the patients. They make the doctor open an account which she would be doing for one person. Not sure she'd want to go to all that bother. Can't say that I blame her.

globalpilot

I have shipped probably 20 tests to the US over the years and never had a problem. You do have to complete a "commercial invoice". Fedex knows all the requirements. The lab also gives instructions within their test kit.
If your doctor doesn't want to open an account, directlabs.com most likely carries the test. You don't need a script from a doctor to order through them - they are essentially acting as the doctor but simply send the results to you when they get them.

Aileen

If your doctor doesn't want to open an account, directlabs.com most likely carries the test. You don't need a script from a doctor to order through them - they are essentially acting as the doctor but simply send the results to you when they get them.

I've never heard of a lab that doesn't require a referral before. Thank you! I went to their site and they have both the Doctor's Data and Genova test. Any opinions on which one is better or is there a difference? Has anyone ever used directlabs.com?

globalpilot

Well, yes, I have. I am from Canada and have used it a few times a year since around 2005. Do you have a particular concern ? Customs , legality etc ?

Aileen

Well, I have ordered the Genova Intestinal Permeability test from YourWayToWellness.com since it was cheaper there. I would have preferred the Doctor's Data test because I like their report better but their kit does not include the liquid you have to drink and I'm sure I won't be able to get any around here. The Genova kit does include the drink. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Thanks to everyone for all the information and advice.

Aileen

My kit arrived yesterday. Will have to wait a few days before taking the test as I pushed myself too hard yesterday. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a nasty headache after drinking the sugar solution. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Did you get tested? How did it work out? I'm doing the test today thru a Naturopath in Toronto, lab in NC. Was your result definitive, or not? I'm gathering info to validate this diagnosis one way or the other. Leaky Gut sounds interesting and it fits at many levels, but so did the last half dozen theories, which turned out to be wasted months, years, and money. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion of leaky gut and the various testing. Thanks.