• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Women: change in your periods when starting MethylB12?

Calathea

I don't find pelvic ultrasounds to be all that bad, but then I've had enough gynae stuff done that I'm pretty much immune to it by now. Urodynamics or dentistry, on the other hand... *shudders* I would take several IUD insertions over having a single filling done, seriously.

Any idea why you were anovulatory for a year? See, this is why I like doing Fertility Awareness Method charting, it means you can find out quite a lot of that stuff yourself. I have a short luteal phase, which probably means that I'm oestrogen-dominant, but at least I do ovulate reliably.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Cor you're brave! I'd much rather go for a filling in every tooth!!!

I think the anovulation was simple malnutrition. My diarrhoea was so bad at that time, and I was terribly thin. I had a lot of bad nutritional deficiencies. So I think my body just decided I could not handle a pregnancy and it had better shut down for a while.
That's my own take on it though. The doctor couldn't suggest any specific reason---- typical!

Calathea

Really? Amenorrhoea (no periods) is very common at low body weight, I imagine that anovulation is too. Especially since irregular bleeding patterns commonly go with anovulation, so that sort of makes sense.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Yeah, I thought stopping periods altogether would have been more likely.
My body was using iron wrongly at that time, as I had extremely high serum iron and lowish stored iron. So it was like being iron deficient--- which for me usually leads to excessively heavy periods. Again, I'm just guessing.

TheMoonIsBlue

I know you are all waiting in eager anticipation to know every intimate detail about the strange occurances of my menstrual cycle. Bleeding and spotting seems to have stopped overnight.

I really think the Sun and Methylb12 must have like said revved up my adrenals/hormones. Who knows? I still would be interested to hear a physicians take on why LDN made my periods so long and heavy and once went on for 3 weeks....on tiny little sprinkles of it. Lingering mystery.

Athene, you blog title is too tempting, I must read it........

L'engle

moogle
I know you are all waiting in eager anticipation to know every intimate detail about the strange occurances of my menstrual cycle. Bleeding and spotting seems to have stopped overnight.

I really think the Sun and Methylb12 must have like said revved up my adrenals/hormones. Who knows? I still would be interested to hear a physicians take on why LDN made my periods so long and heavy and once went on for 3 weeks....on tiny little sprinkles of it. Lingering mystery.

In my experience tiny sprinkles of LDN can have dramatic effects for several days, even though I haven't had this particular issue.

Athene

ihateticks.me

I'm really glad to hear it seems to have resolved on its own, hope it stay that way.
And I hope you enjoy the blog!

Freddd

I would like to say that the b12s and cofactors can considerably cause changes in hormone levels. Low b12 and folate can cause hormones to drop and restoring them can increase hormones, sexual performance, fewer reproduction failures and so on. They also heal neuropathies in ALL the nervous sysrtems, sympathetic, parasympathetic, etc.and change the srtength of the neurological signals.

greenshots

Its possible methylation is triggering your thyroid actvity too. If you get too stimulated at all during the process, it just may be that. Come to think of it, low thyroid may due that as well. High usually causes lighter periods and some spotting and low thyroid can cause heavier periods and spotting. I had some random changes the first few months of treatment and then got into a pattern, until I started up on indole 3 recently. I figured mine were related to higher thyroid activity since I felt more wired and had some heart racing on occasion. Mine evened out after a few months so I guess you'll have to see how it goes.

Good luck!

angela

I just started treatment for my heterozygous MTHFR mutations A1298C and C677T about a month ago. What a time it's been :/ I'll get into that in another post lol. Wanted to share though that I was absolutely caught off guard by how much blood there was on my first period after a couple weeks of being treated! Odd thing is I had less pms-y symptoms in general (less depression/anxiety the week before and cramps), but oh did I bleed. It was so surprising. It's hard to say what caused the change, I'm taking a lot of different things right now!

Have any women had a change in their periods when starting Methylb12 and possibly ADb12?

Most notably, continuous light spotting between your cycle?

Cant be methylfolate, been on that for a long time.

Could be none of the above also and just coincidence!

Yes! I am spotting as well and I think it's too early in the cycle. I'm not sure becase I have an IUD and barely bleed normally. Still this looks different. On top of that I had nose bleeds and more bruising than normal. I don't like these signals to be honest but not sure what to make of it. Fred said that the nose bleeds were because of folate deficiency, but the bleedings started after I started metafolin.