• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic (Genova/Yasko) testing and 'Methylation Panel' from Vitamin Diagnostics worth it?

So as the subject suggests I was wondering whether or not the mentioned tests are worth it? Also a few general questions below....

I am currently taking 3,000mcg (with approx 3,000mg potassium) of methylfolate which I know is a high dose, actually 5,000mcg is the dose that causes healing which I cannot tolerate so 3,000mcg seems just right. I have not noticed any benefit from taking 400mcg or 800mcg methylfolate. I am concerned I may have a genetic mutation somewhere. I am currently trying to support BH4 production which I feel has been semi successful as my mood has lifted slightly after getting to the high doses of methylfolate. I am going to add in folinic acid to see if it helps with the BH4 and thus my mood. Is folinic acid necessary when already supplementing methylfolate? I know Fredd would say avoid it...!

There is a test I have read about from Vitamin Diagnostics called the 'Methylation Panel'. Does anyone have any experience with this? And was it worth it?

The genetic tests available to me are the two tests available from Genova Diagnostics NeuroGenomic™ Profile and DetoxiGenomic® Profile. I do not know if Yasko accepts test samples from the UK shipped to the USA.

I want to get to the bottom of my problems without ad hocking supplementation as I feel lost. I don't know whether genetics or the methylation panel is the answer. I am still chelating heavy metals so I know that to some degree the methylation cycle is going to be poisoned.

nanonug

There is a test I have read about from Vitamin Diagnostics called the 'Methylation Panel'. Does anyone have any experience with this? And was it worth it?

I have not done that particular test. However, in my opinion, that test will probably provide objective info about your methylation status and whether you need special methylation support.

The genetic tests available to me are the two tests available from Genova Diagnostics NeuroGenomic™ Profile and DetoxiGenomic® Profile. I do not know if Yasko accepts test samples from the UK shipped to the USA.

At this time, I personally find genetic tests to be the least useful. In the off chance that you might have a serious genetic screw up, I think testing by 23andme makes more sense, given that they test for almost 1 million polymorphisms.

I want to get to the bottom of my problems without ad hocking supplementation as I feel lost. I don't know whether genetics or the methylation panel is the answer. I am still chelating heavy metals so I know that to some degree the methylation cycle is going to be poisoned.

If you have gut issues, such as gastritis, diarrhea, constipation or abdominal pain/bloating, or even potentially related gut issues such as rosacea or restless leg syndrome, you may want to consider a comprehensive gut function test. I personally like the Metametrix GI Effects Complete Profile (it has distributor in the UK.)