• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Azt?

Navid

Hi:

Can anyone explain why AZT may be helpful against XMRV. Also what the major negative side effects of this drug are.

Thanks, Lisa

cfsme23

My sources tell me that there is a trial underway testing the efficacy of AZT in CFS patients, so watch this space...

Kati

Patient in training
Apparently the HIV virus replicates quickly. The ant-retrovirals act on breaking that replication.

XMRV replicates slowly. According to Dr Cofin it means that antiretrovirals used in HIV may not be effective or as effective, but worth to try. A vaccine is more hopeful for XMRV than HIV.

scavo86-

"My sources tell me that there is a trial underway testing the efficacy of AZT in CFS patients, so watch this space... "

What does this mean? Where is this trial? Who is sponsoring it? Thanks.

cfsme23

A leading virologist at a uni in the states told me, I am not aware of any further details, it was just a throwaway line in an email he sent to me when we were discussing the XMRV and his reaction to it. On rereading my post I know it made me sound smug, I didn't mean it to come across that way, sorry - I just wanted to let you guys know the news without exposing the professor who I don't think would appreciate being on the record. Peace out.

Scav-no smugness taken!

I just hear so many conflicting stories about AZT that i't's difficult to kknow what to beleive. Thanks for clarifyiing. Hopefully we'll have some concrete info soon!

Best wishes!

kurt

I hope not

My sources tell me that there is a trial underway testing the efficacy of AZT in CFS patients, so watch this space...

I saw that on ProHealth. I think they are nuts. Nobody should be testing such a dangerous drug with CFS patients, and certainly not based on just one single study.

Here are some official side-effects: http://www.treathiv.com/safety/retrovir.html

Not something I would want to try out just to see if it helped. Many safer options, including natural (see the natural treatments thread).

B

bluebell

Failed HIV drugs

In the event that XMRV is "it" there are also the many drugs that were tested on HIV but didn't work to consider. Some may work on XMRV. All of this will get straightened out relatively quickly if someone is able to replicate the XMRV study. Not quickly enough for any of us, but quickly in science time.

talkingfox

I'm with Kurt on this one, especially after having been around people who were actually taking the stuff.
Consider that the choices in early AIDS treatment was AZT or death and a generally a fairly rapid death.

I would have to be right on the edge of actual death before I'd even think about taking AZT

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
Death has a way of catching up with us all.

I've been ill with ME for around 27 years and my quality of life is very low.

Rapid death versus slow drawn out death.

The slow drawn out death only has some value in the equation if something works in the end and there is something worthwhile in it for the patient.

We will all vary on this as different people will have different thoughts on the quality of their existing lives.

Not all of us think of our current lives as long drawn out deaths due to the different levels of functioning/ family support / money / lifestyle etc