• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RIch--Grandma had alzheimers, dad died of rare brain disease-help

freshveggies

HI Rich, My dad's mom died of alzheimers in her 80's and my dad died of a rare neurological brain disease at 65. He was in such perfect condition otherwise. He acted and looked 10 years younger and was not on any drugs. They were both really smart and fast thinkers. I fall into this category too. I got mono at 23 and then just started detoriating since then with neurological problems. I have been diagnosed with virals, metals and methylation problems. I also have high nagalase and exitotoxcity of the brain. Besides working on methylation do you have any other treatment plans that you suggest. I just don't want to go down the same road they have. I have 3 kids to take care of.

Thank you,

richvank

Hi, fresh.

Sorry to hear about your dad's and grandmother's health histories. I think methylation treatment is a good place to start. If you can make progress with that, as measured by the methylation pathways panel from Health Diagnostics, good. If not, you may have to deal with the toxic metals first by chelating them, because they can block enzymes associated with the methylation cycle and glutathione. When you have gotten the methylation cycle and glutathione up, you may have to do GcMAF or MAF 314 or another variant, or you might have to do antivirals, or both. To head off the excitotoxicity, you may be able to build glutathione early by using acetyl glutathione. This works for some people, but not for everyone. I still have a lot to learn about combining treatments, but it does seem that more than one type of treatment will be needed to bring most people to full recovery. I think that the clinicians who talk about having to "peel the layers off the onion" probably have it right.

Best regards,

Rich

Freddd

HI Rich, My dad's mom died of alzheimers in her 80's and my dad died of a rare neurological brain disease at 65. He was in such perfect condition otherwise. He acted and looked 10 years younger and was not on any drugs. They were both really smart and fast thinkers. I fall into this category too. I got mono at 23 and then just started detoriating since then with neurological problems. I have been diagnosed with virals, metals and methylation problems. I also have high nagalase and exitotoxcity of the brain. Besides working on methylation do you have any other treatment plans that you suggest. I just don't want to go down the same road they have. I have 3 kids to take care of.

Thank you,

HI Freshveggies,

I tried to respond to your private message but there was no way to reply to it. So either send me a message that allows responses ot we will have to discuss things elsewhere.

freshveggies

Thank you for the reply. My doctor wants me to start on GcMAF now, but I am thinking I should wait a while. I am in the process of switching methylation protocols. I also do phosphatidylcholine pushes, but I am thinking I might something to go along with that to get the metals out. I was on DMSA a couple of years ago and it didn't work enough. I am currently on valterx.

I did Health Diagnostics test:
Gutathione oxidized .51 range .16-.50
Glutathione redued 3.3 range 3.8-5.5
s-adenosylmethionine 237 range 221-256
s-adensoylhomocysteiine 56.8 range 38-49
folic acid derviates
5-CH3-THF 15.0 range 8.4-72.6
10-Formyl-THF 4.3 range 1.5-8.2
5-Formyl-THF 4.90 range 1.2-11.70
THF 1.15 range 06-6.80
Folic Acid 18.5 range 8.9-24.6
Folic Acid (WB) 17-3 range 9.0-.35.5
Folic Aci active RBC 417 range 400-1500

So it looks like getting the methylation moving then metals. I have so much exocitotoxicty that I do not sleep. I tried meds, but really hate them and threw them away. Once I get my saliva test done, I am going to try the taurine, gaba and valerian. I am still not sure on progesterone as I was on it for years, then when I quit, my insomnia started. I am at an age that I have declining hormones, but don't yet understand how they fit into CFS.

Have you seen any research that high iron levels make it a more opportune place for viral infections? I don't give blood, but would like to consider getting rid of a pint once in a while.

Thank you,

richvank

Thank you for the reply. My doctor wants me to start on GcMAF now, but I am thinking I should wait a while. I am in the process of switching methylation protocols. I also do phosphatidylcholine pushes, but I am thinking I might something to go along with that to get the metals out. I was on DMSA a couple of years ago and it didn't work enough. I am currently on valterx.

I did Health Diagnostics test:
Gutathione oxidized .51 range .16-.50
Glutathione redued 3.3 range 3.8-5.5
s-adenosylmethionine 237 range 221-256
s-adensoylhomocysteiine 56.8 range 38-49
folic acid derviates
5-CH3-THF 15.0 range 8.4-72.6
10-Formyl-THF 4.3 range 1.5-8.2
5-Formyl-THF 4.90 range 1.2-11.70
THF 1.15 range 06-6.80
Folic Acid 18.5 range 8.9-24.6
Folic Acid (WB) 17-3 range 9.0-.35.5
Folic Aci active RBC 417 range 400-1500

So it looks like getting the methylation moving then metals. I have so much exocitotoxicty that I do not sleep. I tried meds, but really hate them and threw them away. Once I get my saliva test done, I am going to try the taurine, gaba and valerian. I am still not sure on progesterone as I was on it for years, then when I quit, my insomnia started. I am at an age that I have declining hormones, but don't yet understand how they fit into CFS.

Have you seen any research that high iron levels make it a more opportune place for viral infections? I don't give blood, but would like to consider getting rid of a pint once in a while.

Thank you,

Hi, fresh.

You do have a methylation partial block and glutathione depletion. Your folates actually look pretty good, much better than in most untreated PWMEs. Looks like the B12 side is the issue in your case. You may have to use methyl B12 if hydroxo doesn't bring up your methylation cycle, but I would suggest trying hydroxo first.

Sorry, I don't know about high iron and viral infections.

Best regards,

Rich