• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AHCC promotes Th 17 and 1 cell responses via inducing IL-1β production from monocytes...

nanonug

Following two recent threads on Th17, I thought it would be interesting to share a recent paper on how to modulate Th17 response with a natural product, Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC):

Active Hexose Correlated Compound promotes T helper (Th) 17 and 1 cell responses via inducing IL-1β production from monocytes in humans

(I have ordered and expect to be taking AHCC in the next few days)

The two previous threads are:

nanonug

Did you start the beta glucan, nanonug? You will combine the two?

Yes, I have started the beta glucan and I will combine the two.

My hope is to trick my body into believing I am under attack by a massive yeast infection followed by a massive defense stimulated by AHCC! :)

Let's see what happens!

adreno

PR activist
All right. Take a look at the following, though. Something to worry about?

J Exp Med. 2010 Jun 7;207(6):1135-43. Epub 2010 May 10.

Complement drives Th17 cell differentiation and triggers autoimmune arthritis.

Hashimoto M, Hirota K, Yoshitomi H, Maeda S, Teradaira S, Akizuki S, Prieto-Martin P, Nomura T, Sakaguchi N, Köhl J, Heyman B, Takahashi M, Fujita T, Mimori T, Sakaguchi S.
Source

Department of Experimental Pathology, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan.
Abstract

Activation of serum complement triggers Th17 cell-dependent spontaneous autoimmune disease in an animal model. In genetically autoimmune-prone SKG mice, administration of mannan or beta-glucan, both of which activate serum complement, evoked Th17 cell-mediated chronic autoimmune arthritis. C5a, a chief component of complement activation produced via all three complement pathways (i.e., lectin, classical, and alternative), stimulated tissue-resident macrophages, but not dendritic cells, to produce inflammatory cytokines including IL-6, in synergy with Toll-like receptor signaling or, notably, granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF). GM-CSF secreted by activated T cells indeed enhanced in vitro IL-6 production by C5a-stimulated macrophages. In vivo, C5a receptor (C5aR) deficiency in SKG mice inhibited the differentiation/expansion of Th17 cells after mannan or beta-glucan treatment, and consequently suppressed the development of arthritis. Transfer of SKG T cells induced Th17 cell differentiation/expansion and produced arthritis in C5aR-sufficient recombination activating gene (RAG)-/- mice but not in C5aR-deficient RAG-/- recipients. In vivo macrophage depletion also inhibited disease development in SKG mice. Collectively, the data suggest that complement activation by exogenous or endogenous stimulation can initiate Th17 cell differentiation and expansion in certain autoimmune diseases and presumably in microbial infections. Blockade of C5aR may thus be beneficial for controlling Th17-mediated inflammation and autoimmune disease.

PMID:20457757

nanonug

All right. Take a look at the following, though. Something to worry about?
Complement drives Th17 cell differentiation and triggers autoimmune arthritis.

Indeed, something to worry about. I guess there is no free lunch. Right now, given my situation, I am willing to take certain risks. The situation is one bacterial overgrowth in the gut and one possible viral infection. As I am not yet sure about the viral infection, I won't disclose it (antibodies above cut-off but not high enough to rule out false-positive.)

adreno

PR activist
Indeed, something to worry about. I guess there is no free lunch. Right now, given my situation, I am willing to take certain risks. The situation is one bacterial overgrowth in the gut and one possible viral infection. As I am not yet sure about the viral infection, I won't disclose it (antibodies above cut-off but not high enough to rule out false-positive.)
Right, I agree. I do take comfort in the fact that the study was done on autoimmune prone mice, and that there, to my knowledge, has been no recorded cases of humans developing autoimmune disorders from these supplements.

Seven7

Seven
Ok bear w me here.
Is having high IL-1B a good thing or bad.
I have it high!!! I was about to try AHCC to increase NK but if I already have 1L-1B i guess not such a good thing?!!?

SOC

High titters for HHV6, Parvo and coasakie.
I'm in a similar boat, although I fairly recently fought HHV-6 into submission. I have Parvo B19, Coxsackie, C. pneumonaie, and EBV is reactivated again. :rolleyes:

I have high IL-1B, and low IL-17 (which implies low Th-17, I believe). So do I want to increase IL-1B, which is already high, in order to increase the Th-17? I hope they get this illness figured out sometime soon.:ill:

Seven7

Seven
I'm in a similar boat, although I fairly recently fought HHV-6 into submission. I have Parvo B19, Coxsackie, C. pneumonaie, and EBV is reactivated again. :rolleyes:

I have high IL-1B, and low IL-17 (which implies low Th-17, I believe). So do I want to increase IL-1B, which is already high, in order to increase the Th-17? I hope they get this illness figured out sometime soon.:ill:

SOC: So Do you use AHCC?? or would you? I can ask Dr R next time I see her.

SOC

SOC: So Do you use AHCC?? or would you? I can ask Dr R next time I see her.

I would if Dr R thought it a good idea for someone with high IL-1B (and everything else we have :rolleyes:)

Do you have low NK cell function, low CD4, low cytotoxic T-cells (CD8), or some combination of the above? I'm wondering how similar our immune profiles are. My NK cell numbers and function are normal, CD-4+ cells are normal, but CD-5+ and CD-8+ are low. Ratio of CD-4+ : CD8+ is 11:2 (5.5:1).

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I use it when I have a cold...like right now. I use Maitake D Fraction Mushroom drops twice a day but I use the AHCC when I am ill. I also use other good thing for my immune system like Proboost Thymic A powder. That is once a day, unless I am sick with a cold. Right now I use it three times a day. they all help me get better fast. I love Oreganocillin too, to lower the viral load with a cold. So many great things to help.:thumbsup: