• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tooth ache started - a sign of my immune system changing??

sianrecovery

paracetamol is the one I understood to have a particularly unhelpful effect on glutathione, I dont remember the mechanism. But when you are in acute dental pain, none of that matters. The DF's will probably make you constipated if you take them for anytime, so take a spoonful of linseeds soaked for eight hours in a glass of water once a day to get the bowels back online. This I discovered when nursing my father who was on them and other opiates when he had lung cancer. Longer term dental pain I am also treating with End Pain Now by fatigued to fantasitc, some people recommned pyconogenol, thats spelt wrong, ME brain, and I'm starting curcumin. Amoxicillian may have a limited impact on anerobic pathogens, I have also had flagyl and the one that really kicked arse - clindamycin. They all disturb the gut flora, there is a price to pay! But when you are in that pain, I know you just need it to go away. I looked at the Munroe Hall clinic website -I wish to god I had seen it a year ago. But I'm glad you posted it, if I can afford it, I am going to check out the cavitation thing. Good luck with the pain. When its acute you can also try pressing on some of the accupuncture points - it does at least distract you - like squeezing the tops of your thumbs firmly or pressing into the fold of skin between the thumb and first fingers. There are a lot of good sites online with accupressure points on.

snowathlete

Yeah the munroe hall clinic does look good. Im talking with family about it, who are suggesting they help with the costs. Im very lucky to have a good supportive family.

I went to the dentist today, another emergency appointment because i was in so much pain. They prescribed me more antibiotics, more amoxicilin and methotrexate which is better against anaerobic bacteria.

I have my appointment tomorrow still, to either have it extracted or root canal done. Im going to call the dental association to ask if i can pay more to have a non amalgam filling. If i can then i will have root canal. Else i will have it extracted.

I will then have to have my other teeth sorted out after christmas, which will result in either another root canal or extraction on another tooth, and a handful of smaller fillings.

Still in alot of pain at the moment.

snowathlete

Finally out of pain.

I took loads of pain killers yesterday, dihydrocodeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen, but without any relief.

But i took the methotrexate and after two tablets the pain is gone. I mean 99% GONE. seems to have cleared up the infection, which is brilliant!

I think i am still having it out though...probably.

snowathlete

Just had it out. Painless extraction. He needed alot of force to get it out.

Starting to hurt a little, but waiting to take painkillers, so as not to disturb the blood clot that forms in the socket.

Dentist said a root canal would be better, but i didnt want to risk a further infection.

sianrecovery

I think you made a good decision, I am back on metronidazole, I have tried to save my teeth, but if I cant improve the immunity, it may be the toothless hag look for me.

snowathlete

I think you made a good decision, I am back on metronidazole, I have tried to save my teeth, but if I cant improve the immunity, it may be the toothless hag look for me.

Thanks, i appreciate the support. At the end of the day saving the tooth wasnt worth the risk, however small, that it makes my illness worse, or even helps keep it as it is.
Im only 30, so it feels a little odd to be losing a tooth at this age, but the way i look at it, if in a year im much improved, then i wont miss the tooth much.

Also, to my surprise, there is still hardly any pain. I would rate it 1 out of ten, as apposed to 9 out of ten when i had the tooth in my mouth!
Im going to bed now - without painkillers.

Finally out of pain.

I took loads of pain killers yesterday, dihydrocodeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen, but without any relief.

But i took the methotrexate and after two tablets the pain is gone. I mean 99% GONE. seems to have cleared up the infection, which is brilliant!

I think i am still having it out though...probably.
Hi snowathlete,
It's great to hear you are out of pain. I just
wanted to add some words of caution about methotrexate.
It is an immune suppresant and messes with a number of processes in the body, including folate usage and energy production. I guess it also shouldn't be taken with the painkillers.
Best regards,
mogy

snowathlete

Hi snowathlete,
It's great to hear you are out of pain. I just
wanted to add some words of caution about methotrexate.
It is an immune suppresant and messes with a number of processes in the body, including folate usage and energy production. I guess it also shouldn't be taken with the painkillers.
Best regards,
mogy

Thanks Moggy, but are metronidazole and methotrexate the same thing?

sianrecovery

Not by my understanding - metronidazole is an antibiotic, methotrexate is an quite heavy duty drug usually used for arthritis.

By the way, I contacted the Munro Hall clinic yesterday, and got the price list - ouch. They are also keen on doing all the work they consider necessary, so its a big commitment. I spent alot of money last year getting all my old infected root filling redone, I dont know if I can stand or afford anymore.

glad your xmas is not going to be dominated by a bad tooth!

snowathlete

just a quick update.

Still no pain. No infection either. The gum seems to have healed up pretty well so far, and im at the point where i can eat on that side of the mouth without any worry now. I still have to be careful brushing near the wound, but its not too bad now.

Looks like this issue is solved now, so its just a case of what i do next. I will start a new post about what i do when i do, but its likley that i will see the munroe hall clinic, or another similar clinic if i can find one.

Thanks for everyones support!

snowathlete

so one of my teeth (other side of mouth) is starting to hurt bad this week.
Not critical yet, but im taking it as a warning shot across the bow.
I cant sit on the fence anymore, i have to decide, am i going to get my teeth sorted by a holistic dentist (amalgam replacements, a few new fillings, and some root canals) or a cavitation expert (further away, a cavitat scan, maybe cavitaton surgery, and the replacements and new fillings as per i woudl with option 1)

I have given myself the deadline of Monday morning to decide and book.
I just feel so very confused.

If cavitations arent a genuine problem then its a waste of money and a huge drain to get there have it done, get back.
If they are a genuine problem then it could make a huge difference to my health.
There is so much uncertainty that i just dont know how to balance the pros and cons and make a decision on this.

snowathlete

I think im almost decided that im going to go see my local dentist.
I just dont see enough people having cavitat scans and cavitation surgery to put the money and energy into it. Im probably going to go get some root canals done, some standard fillings, but not have them done with amalgam fillings. I dont know if the NHS dentist will do that (probably if i pay the extra i guess).
Im not going to get my existing few amalgams replaced either, at least not until i am better and have more cash. I think its a good idea not to have them, and i wont have more put in, but i have enough work needs doing as it is. They can wait. I have till Monday to change my mind, but feel im almost there really.

hixxy

I had some curious change lately that could indicate a change in immune system since I've been on b12/methylfolate.

It's been about 3 years since what was then life long hayfever just stopped. The full blown hayfever isn't back, but I get the sneezes again several times a day. Very strange!

hixxy

Only a bit over a month. I only do 1mg hydroxyb12 3 times a week IM. Tiny little bit of methylb12 orally and 200mcg of methylfolate twice a day. I found this protocol didn't do much (mad me feel far worse actually) until I swapped from oral mag, to transdermal mag. Clearl I don't absorb mag at all well via the gut.

Freddd

I think im almost decided that im going to go see my local dentist.
I just dont see enough people having cavitat scans and cavitation surgery to put the money and energy into it. Im probably going to go get some root canals done, some standard fillings, but not have them done with amalgam fillings. I dont know if the NHS dentist will do that (probably if i pay the extra i guess).
Im not going to get my existing few amalgams replaced either, at least not until i am better and have more cash. I think its a good idea not to have them, and i wont have more put in, but i have enough work needs doing as it is. They can wait. I have till Monday to change my mind, but feel im almost there really.

HI Snowathlete,

Elsewhere you said you were stalled and I couldn't find it again. So if you would like to get unstalled , let's talk.

Also, if you will be having Nitrous Oxide, you want to take a load before going in and have some to start with as soon as out of the chair. Nitrous destroys any unbound b12 in brain and body.

I came to the same conclusion. I get composite fillings now don't have anything done without casue. My amalgams are 30 years old. Maybe one day they will need replacement.