• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Take the "Twenty Years Ago Today" survey

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Check out our "20 Years Ago Today" survey celebrating the 20th Anniversary of International Awareness day. A wide-ranging (would you take Rituximab if you could get it for free?), sometimes quirky, (what was the most you ever spent on ME/CFS?), sometimes wishful (if you had $100 million dollars to spend on ME/CFS how would you do it?) look at ME/CFS, among other things, we ask where you were 20 years ago, where you are today and where you think you'll be in the future.

Check out the "20 Years Ago Today Survey Here"....

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Interesting Cort! Can your answers be seen by others--in other words is their a visible link between you and your answers?

Sushi

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That was fun and interesting to do - thanks, Cort!

When/how can we see the results?

Esther12

For quite a few of the questions I wanted an 'I've got no idea' option.

For 'most negative event', I'd have put the poor Wessely/Chalder study that showed no association between viral infection and chronic fatigue, or the promotion of the notion that CFS was a result of unacknowledged depression (Wessely/Chlader again).

I'd have thought that for a lot of those questions 200 patients would give 200 different answers.

taniaaust1

Interesting little survey

I like the multiple choice part in which asks what doctor you'd see if you had all that money. (one can only wish but its a very nice thought).

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Some interesting questions.

The survey missed De Meirleir's classic book 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Biological Approach' though.

That was a big one for me to finally accept my CFS diagnosis and to see what scientists were doing.

Kati

Patient in training
Dear Cort, your survey missed an answer- I forgot which question it was but I am already on RItuximab ;-)

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
There were a few questions that I wished had an "other" options, that did not.
I am thinking in particular of the books --- Greg Charles Fisher's "Waiting to LIve", *possibly* the first book published by a patient back in the 80s.

ukxmrv

For books it was the " milehigh staircase " in the early 80's. We need a 30 year survey for that though.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Some interesting questions.

The survey missed De Meirleir's classic book 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Biological Approach' though.

That was a big one for me to finally accept my CFS diagnosis and to see what scientists were doing.
Yes, A very important book for me....it helped prompt me to start the website...I wondered how many people read it given how technical it is...

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
There were a few questions that I wished had an "other" options, that did not.
I am thinking in particular of the books --- Greg Charles Fisher's "Waiting to LIve", *possibly* the first book published by a patient back in the 80s.
I'll put an other option in there now...thanks - another book I hadn't heard of....When we tabulate the results I'll mention this book and the milehigh one as well.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Great survey Cort, and even fun to take. Really good questions - especially liked "knowing what you know now, what would you do or not do". Looking forward to reading everyone's answers :)