• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Mineral Testing

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Nationwide fortification of enriched uncooked cereal grains with folic acid began in the United States and Canada in 1996 and 1997, respectively, and became mandatory in 1998.

I did not realize this change took place in 1997-8. Weren't we buying 'enriched' flour long before that?

brenda

LBS hereis a post from rich

Hi, Adster.

In the U.S. since 1996, flour has been fortified with folic acid at a level of 1.2 milligrams (1200 micrograms) of folic acid per kilogram of flour. How much folic acid a person gets will of course depend on how much grain the person eats. A study by the CDC showed that this fortification led to an average increase of 190 micrograms of folic acid per day, so it is a significant amount on the average. Generally speaking, people with ME/CFS are not able to use carbs as fuel very well because of a partial block of aconitase in the Krebs cycle, so minimizing the intake of bread is probably a good idea for most PWMEs/PWCs, and that will keep the folic acid intake down.

Best regards,

Rich

brenda

Barb C

I don't know why hair mineral testing is used when there are more reliable tests? I think that is the issue and that issue is an important consideration.

Hair is more stable than other tissues which change constantly.

Brenda

dmholmes

"Folate intake from foods has always been around 300 mcg per day, and jumped sharply when folic acid intake became mandatory in 1998. The USDA estimates that intake of folate, including folic acid, jumped from 372 mcg per person per day in 1997 to 678 mcg in 1998, and has remained above 665 mcg ever since."

Food Fortification: A Risky Experiment?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
LBS hereis a post from rich

I wasn't doubting it. I was just wondering if that was when enrichment started or if they added extra folate at that time. I was also wondering if I just hadn't noticed or if they did it on the QT.

hixxy

Is Christine even continuing to have contact with anyone here? I completely mised the hair mineral test bandwagon before she was banned. Curious about some previous HMT I had done. Might even get a new one done if I can get a decent analysis.

Also requested to join the FB group, waiting on a response.

brenda

from Christine

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-1987-0354.ch014

Manganese Usage in Humans as Affected by Use of Calcium Supplements

Susan D. McDermott and , Constance Kies

Department of Human Nutrition and Food Service Management, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583

Nutritional Bioavailability of Manganese

Chapter 14, pp 146151

Chapter DOI: 10.1021/bk-1987-0354.ch014

ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 354

ISBN13: 9780841214330eISBN: 9780841211995

Publication Date (Print): October 05, 1987

Copyright 1987 American Chemical Society

Abstract

Calcium has long been implicated as a dietary factor which inhibits the absorption of manganese. Since manganese is better absorbed in the oxidized (+2) than in the reduced state (+3 or +4), any factor which increases gastrointestinal tract pH (increases alkalinity) would be expected to inhibit manganese utilization. Calcium carbonate, a commonly used antacid by humans as well as a calcium nutrienhttp://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-1987-0354.ch014

Lynn_M

It is my belief that when reference is made to "Christine's company", that it is not referring to Christine's company called "Hairs to Health", which is her solo practice, wherein she advises individual clients. Rather, I think the reference is to Analytical Research Labs, Inc. in Phoenix, AZ, www.arltma.com. This is the facility that Christine's clients send their hair samples to. ARL does the hair testing and provides automated interpretations and supplement advice, but they do far more than that. ARL was founded in 1974 by Dr. Paul Eck, who researched and pioneered many aspects of hair analysis. The company continues researching, as evidenced by the information on their website. So I think ARL is the one developing the theories.

dmholmes

I'm not sure which reference that refers to, but to me Christine's company referes to Hairs to Health. She does use ARL of course for hair testing. I didn't receive any "automated interpretations and supplement advice" from ARL, but detailed information from Christine. Yes ARL was founded by Dr. Eck, a little background here.

dmholmes

Here's a more detailed response from Christine:

"Christine's company" only refers to Hairs to Health, Inc., not Analytical Research Labs, Inc. She only uses ARL's laboratory testing services for testing of her clients hair samples. (Similarly, doctors use various testing labs however, are not working for or obtaining advice from those laboratories.)

Christine would like others to understand all her current theories and protocols have been developed based on what she has observed with Hairs to Health, Inc. clients; human and canine. Also on the nutrition classes she observed from Professor Daniel Gallaher, University of MN, (though she holds no degrees in nutrition).

She refers to her company; Hairs to Health, Inc. because it is the entity that offers the interpretations and suggestions. This is how corporations are operated. Hairs to Health, Inc. does not use Analytical Research Lab, Inc. supplements/products. Supplement suggestions are made for her clients, however, the clients choose what type and where to purchase those supplement suggestions.

barbc56

Has anyone paid her the $200 dollars she charges for a hair analysis? Did she ever reveal that she does charge for this service? I can see a senario where lots of people might have questions and in the long run end up getting her test.

In my opinion, this says volumes.

Barb C.:>)

I'm not sure which reference that refers to, but to me Christine's company referes to Hairs to Health. She does use ARL of course for hair testing. I didn't receive any "automated interpretations and supplement advice" from ARL, but detailed information from Christine. Yes ARL was founded by Dr. Eck, a little background here.

Generally, when a person orders an Hair Analysis from ARL, they receive a print out with detailed information regarding their test and a list of suggested supplements (from their company). I believe when you use Christines company, the results are sent directly to her, rather than to the customer. So are Christine's customers are paying for an analysis they are not getting from the company which is actually included in the price of the Hair Analysis?

Kina.

dannybex

Generally, when a person orders an Hair Analysis from ARL, they receive a print out with detailed information regarding their test and a list of suggested supplements (from their company). I believe when you use Christines company, the results are sent directly to her, rather than to the customer. So are Christine's customers are paying for an analysis they are not getting from the company which is actually included in the price of the Hair Analysis?

Kina.

I had a hair mineral analysis done by a different practitioner several months back. She also used ARL, and ordered the test for me. So it came back to her and she made her recommendations and sent them to me.

Her fee was $195, slightly less than Christine's, but she also added an additional $290 for about 8 supplements that she insisted I needed, for a total of $475. I ended up not being able to tolerate 6 of them, and each time I spoke w/her, she had a different explanation, and suggested different dietary recommendations.

Christine was kind enough to take a look at that test -- for free -- and give her recommendations, based on her own hypothesis and research. I've cut my supplements down from more than 15-20 a day (plus was taking a lot of betaine HCL with each meal) to needing a TOTAL of four capsules, in divided doses, that last all day long. Probably will cost me $10 a month. Her interpretation makes a lot more sense to me, and while I can't speak for others, no one held a gun to my head to choose this path, nor has anyone coerced me into buying any additional products.

hixxy

I had a hair mineral analysis done by a different practitioner several months back. She also used ARL, and ordered the test for me. So it came back to her and she made her recommendations and sent them to me.

Her fee was $195, slightly less than Christine's, but she also added an additional $290 for about 8 supplements that she insisted I needed, for a total of $475. I ended up not being able to tolerate 6 of them, and each time I spoke w/her, she had a different explanation, and suggested different dietary recommendations.

Christine was kind enough to take a look at that test -- for free -- and give her recommendations, based on her own hypothesis and research. I've cut my supplements down from more than 15-20 a day (plus was taking a lot of betaine HCL with each meal) to needing a TOTAL of four capsules, in divided doses, that last all day long. Probably will cost me $10 a month. Her interpretation makes a lot more sense to me, and while I can't speak for others, no one held a gun to my head to choose this path, nor has anyone coerced me into buying any additional products.

How do you compare how you feel between taking the 15-20 supplements to what you are currently on?

I have a hypochlorhydria (possibly achlorhydria), has your newer supplement regime restored your stomach acid production or are you just doing without?

dmholmes

Has anyone paid her the $200 dollars she charges for a hair analysis? Did she ever reveal that she does charge for this service? I can see a senario where lots of people might have questions and in the long run end up getting her test.

I contacted Christine through her website and requested a hair analysis in March. I've since gotten the results back along with her analysis. I've been following her supplement schedule for about 2 weeks now with nice improvement in overall energy. We'll see how it holds up.

David

dannybex

Has anyone paid her the $200 dollars she charges for a hair analysis? Did she ever reveal that she does charge for this service?

Barb, if you personally have no interest or faith in hair analysis, why do you insist on spending so much of your energy in this neighborhood? I don't get it.

I can see a senario where lots of people might have questions and in the long run end up getting her test.

And your point is?

About you, or Christine?

With all due respect, we're not idiots, we can make choices for ourselves.

dannybex

How do you compare how you feel between taking the 15-20 supplements to what you are currently on?

I have a hypochlorhydria (possibly achlorhydria), has your newer supplement regime restored your stomach acid production or are you just doing without?

It's too soon to tell, but I don't feel in any way worse, and I'm quite surprised that my digestion is doing okay without the betaine HCL(and I was taking 7 capsules with each meal). She pointed out that the betaine in the HCL is a methyl donor, which may deplete b2 and manganese, so I should avoid that while I'm trying to increase my levels of the two nutrients.

dmholmes

Kina.

I'm not sure about the last part, but I suppose so. I'm not personally interested in the ARL results.

I think my comments have been misinterpreted. I didn't say anything about coercion. I was just commenting that ARL sends people quite a comprehensive interpretation as they do for all people in this line of work. People don't see the analyses from ARL if they don't order it directly. I really don't know if the hair analysis interpreters are using the interpretations provided by ARL -- that's all. Doesn't really matter in the long run though, if something works, it works and that's the most important thing of all.