• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Metholfolate Help

Hi Guys

I started taking L-Methylfolate (Amipro - metafolin) a week ago, started taking half a tablet 400mcg and it seemed to be going okay I upped the dose to 800mcg 2 days ago. I got a bit of a sore throat / flu for a few days and my tounge is really sore - feel like you do after antibiotics where your tounge becomes really sensitive. Not sure if that is as a result of the throat lozenges or if its from the metafolin. I have not been taking any B12 yet as it is difficult to get the correct products in this country. I was hoping that the Metafolin will help with my depression and anxiety as i have read good results from people taking Deplin. Also feeling pretty week today - any advise would be appreciated. I haven't experienced any body pains with taking metafolin like i did recently when taking spiraling / chlorella which really made me feel sick. A little background - been sick for 18 years and most of my symptoms have been neurological affecting my concentration, sleep, memory, Post exercise fatigue, depression, anxiety etc.

Many Thanks

nanonug

I started taking L-Methylfolate [...]. I got a bit of a sore throat / flu for a few days

It's possible methylfolate is revving up your immune system but difficult to tell for sure. However, you should try to take a complete B complex. B vitamins all depend on each other for proper functioning.

I was hoping that the Metafolin will help with my depression and anxiety as i have read good results from people taking Deplin.

It might but remember that Deplin start at 7.5mg/day.

most of my symptoms have been neurological affecting my concentration, sleep, memory, Post exercise fatigue, depression, anxiety etc.

Do you have any digestive/gut issues?

No a bit of constipation but nothing serous. I did a google search for the causes of "strawberry tounge" and it came up with one of the possible causes being folate or B12 deficiency, it can't be a folate problem as i am taking 800mcg of L-Methylfolate, but maybe it is causing the B12 to get lower ? I don't know is that possible ?

place

Be Strong!
Honestly, I really don't know enough to deviate from the protocol. I know they all depend on each other. I can tell you the first day I took the mfolate and I got severe depression and sickness until I took the potassium. it was night and day in 15 minutes.

I have been slowly upping my does. For the past two days I have had way too much energy... like I was 10 again doing cartwheel in the back yard. However, I pressed my luck last night and had a drink.... this morning I was tired and could not concentrate... lesson learned. I'm finally getting back to at least normal this afternoon.

roxie60

Honestly, I really don't know enough to deviate from the protocol. I know they all depend on each other. I can tell you the first day I took the mfolate and I got severe depression and sickness until I took the potassium. it was night and day in 15 minutes.

I have been slowly upping my does. For the past two days I have had way too much energy... like I was 10 again doing cartwheel in the back yard. However, I pressed my luck last night and had a drink.... this morning I was tired and could not concentrate... lesson learned. I'm finally getting back to at least normal this afternoon.

energy just from taking potassium?? what kind of potassium?

Freddd

Hi Guys

I started taking L-Methylfolate (Amipro - metafolin) a week ago, started taking half a tablet 400mcg and it seemed to be going okay I upped the dose to 800mcg 2 days ago. I got a bit of a sore throat / flu for a few days and my tounge is really sore - feel like you do after antibiotics where your tounge becomes really sensitive. Not sure if that is as a result of the throat lozenges or if its from the metafolin. I have not been taking any B12 yet as it is difficult to get the correct products in this country. I was hoping that the Metafolin will help with my depression and anxiety as i have read good results from people taking Deplin. Also feeling pretty week today - any advise would be appreciated. I haven't experienced any body pains with taking metafolin like i did recently when taking spiraling / chlorella which really made me feel sick. A little background - been sick for 18 years and most of my symptoms have been neurological affecting my concentration, sleep, memory, Post exercise fatigue, depression, anxiety etc.

Many Thanks

Hi Kiteman,

Taking folate without methylb12 can be dangerous and cause b12 deficiency and nerve damage.This is the traditional warning not to take a lot of folate without b12. Not sure what else that b12 deficincies will be worsened by. It's mostly folate because the folate will start some reactions that requires the mb12 taking it away from the brqain if not enough available casuing Subacute Combined degeneration.

Hi Freddd

I didn't see your reply. I sent you a PM. Not sure i understand what you said that taking Metafolin + Methylb12 is dangerous and can cause B12 deficiencies - i thought they were supposed to be taken together ?

Freddd

Hi Freddd

I didn't see your reply. I sent you a PM. Not sure i understand what you said that taking Metafolin + Methylb12 is dangerous and can cause B12 deficiencies - i thought they were supposed to be taken together ?

Hi Kiteman,

TYPO

So it is now correct. Sorry about that.

Catseye

I know when I started taking folate for the first time, about 4 years ago, I felt really good from it. So I upped the dosage, too. And that was a mistake. I had to back down and it was several days before I felt better.

About the sore tongue, I never had that symptom until recently - with my first few DMPS IV sessions. Seems to be a mercury thing.

Freddd

I know when I started taking folate for the first time, about 4 years ago, I felt really good from it. So I upped the dosage, too. And that was a mistake. I had to back down and it was several days before I felt better.

About the sore tongue, I never had that symptom until recently - with my first few DMPS IV sessions. Seems to be a mercury thing.

Hi Catseye,

Please describe the sore tongue better. Was it "beef red" and burning sore, or sore along the sides with sores or what? Also what specifc kind of folate?. So forms of folate can actually cause folate deficiency in some people, paradoxical folate deficiency, and cause sore tongue etc.

Catseye

Hi Freddd,

the sore tongue was just overly sensitive, maybe slightly reddish, but it has since stopped happening. There were no real sores with it, the tongue just seemed to be more sensitive on the sides. I've been taking folate off and on for years and never had a sore tongue with it, I'm sure it's related to the DMPS IVs. I used Folapro, mostly, L 5 methyltetrahydrofolate.

Freddd

Hi Catseye,

For me at least the sensitive sides was an earlier state to being red and burned and painful and open sores. Then when it got better it backed off through the same stages as when it worsened. For about a year I could use it as an indicator, a clue, to which way things were going and make adhjustments. IOt is helpful to find something that is immediately sensitive to the changes affecting healing in the body. SO far I have always found something, the last group being the folate insufficiency symptoms. Then it finished healing as far as it could on the mb12 and I added the Metafolin and wham, went through the cycle again. It took me 4 years from the time I started metafolin until I finally had titrated to "enough" to get rid of all the symptoms. Folapro is a company name for the same Metafolin from Merck. This was such an amazing breakthrough for me when I was able to buy enough Metafolin. My docs were all afraid to prescribe it if I didn't fit the official criteria. Now they are all amazed.

My experience is that it is the Metafolin that controled my healing, being limited by the paradoxical folate deficiency. I kept thinking 2400mcg or some such "ought" to be plenty. It appears to be for those without paradoxical folate deficiency to overcome. Good luck at fining your clues and being able to follow up on them.