• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Th17 Cytokines and the Gut Mucosal Barrier

SOC

Nice find, nanonug! That might explain a lot for some (or all) ME patients.

I still can't figure out how I've managed to avoid the gut problems common in ME, especially given my very low IL-23 and low IL-17.

nanonug

I still can't figure out how I've managed to avoid the gut problems common in ME, especially given my very low IL-23 and low IL-17.

Indeed! Maybe you just happened to have the right kind of microbiota protecting you...

By the way, in case you didn't this question in the other thread, would you mind sharing the name of the test you did to find out about the Th17 stuff? Is that something you can order on the Internet? Thanks!

SOC

Indeed! Maybe you just happened to have the right kind of microbiota protecting you...

If so, I'm probably killing them off with long-term clarithromycin. :rolleyes:

By the way, in case you didn't this question in the other thread, would you mind sharing the name of the test you did to find out about the Th17 stuff? Is that something you can order on the Internet? Thanks!

My immune testing was done at the University of Miami through Dr Rey. The page says "Cytokine Multiplex-18 Report" at the top. It could be specific to that lab. You might be able to find an immune test that includes IL-17 and IL-23 and maybe some other cytokines related to Th17. I think low cytotoxic T-cells may be related, too.

nanonug

If so, I'm probably killing them off with long-term clarithromycin.

Either that or just selecting the strains resistant to clarithromycin...

My immune testing was done at the University of Miami through Dr Rey. The page says "Cytokine Multiplex-18 Report" at the top. It could be specific to that lab. You might be able to find an immune test that includes IL-17 and IL-23 and maybe some other cytokines related to Th17. I think low cytotoxic T-cells may be related, too.

Thanks! Will try to find that particular test or something similar...

Waverunner

I don't think it's that easy. I never had yeast or pathogenic gut bacteria, I took tons of good probiotics, I have very high numbers of most good bacteria and still have these gut issues.

nanonug

I don't think it's that easy. I never had yeast or pathogenic gut bacteria, I took tons of good probiotics, I have very high numbers of most good bacteria and still have these gut issues.

SIBO?

By the way, microbiota is composed of hundreds, maybe thousands of species acquired shortly after birth that in many cases assemble themselves in biofilms. These entities are then able to bidirectionally communicate with the host's immune system, sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worse. That's why I suggested that maybe SOC was just lucky with his microbiota. No amount of supplementation, is ever going to dramatically change this.

Waverunner

SIBO?

By the way, microbiota is composed of hundreds, maybe thousands of species acquired shortly after birth that in many cases assemble themselves in biofilms. These entities are then able to bidirectionally communicate with the host's immune system, sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worse. That's why I suggested that maybe SOC was just lucky with his microbiota. No amount of supplementation, is ever going to dramatically change this.

I agree that microbiota play an important role for gut issues. On the other side there are hundreds of other possible causes for gut issues, especially when you have viral infections or genetic defects. Look at people with HIV, they didn't have gut issues before their illness but when they don't receive treatment most of them have. What roles play goblet cells and what role play dendritic cells etc..

Enid

Perhaps at least we know the gut mucosal barrier/integrity has broken down so all GI research/understanding has to be a good thing for us. (possibly a role or more in many other diseases). Roll on this medical Cinderella - understanding the Gut and it's complex role as probably the most essential part of the immune system. Personally no doubts where ME all began whatever triggers.

Waverunner

Perhaps at least we know the gut mucosal barrier/integrity has broken down so all GI research/understanding has to be a good thing for us. (possibly a role or more in many other diseases). Roll on this medical Cinderella - understanding the Gut and it's complex role as probably the most essential part of the immune system. Personally no doubts where ME all began whatever triggers.

I fully agree.