• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

slowing down a hyper sex drive?

Gavman

I know for me, my balance seems to go out the window with adrenaline. Since dropping the effexor, i'm even more hyper-excitable. Has anyone found stuff to inhibit the libido in a healthy way? Or supplements that help block/break down adrenaline? I know that Serotonin being the anxiety/happy hormone, will help to balance this as i correct it more, as will dopamine.

Seven7

Seven
I thought I was the only one experiencing an exaggerated appetite:D What I have noticed is that is related to my fatigue, the more fatigue I have, the more drive increases. Is like an indirect signal that my brain needs something. Now that I am feeling better it has calmed down. All I have taken is Imunovir+ equilibrant not sure which helped. But I have noticed it others time w/o taking anything just when I feel better it goes away.

Note: One time I was using ginseng and I was dragging myself !!! That supplement I cannot take because it increases it so BAD. So you might want to see the side effects of your supplements.

peggy-sue

SSRI's should knock it right out of the window.

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, not a hormone, but increasing available serotonin will completely reorganise all the hormone systems.

That's why SSRIs cause loads of side-effects for the first month or so, until they "kick in".

If serotonin was the "happy chemical", SSRIs would fix depression immediately - not 5-6 weeks later.

I personally think SSRIs are better to avoid.

A possible natural solution is something called chasteberry from the chaste tree that has been known for centuries to help lower libido. I don't know much else about it, but there is plenty of info online.

Gavman

SSRIs create a block to stop the flow of serotonin, so it takes a while to build up a decent storage facility, peggy-sue.

Inester, pretty sure it is just the coming off the effexor. Maybe with the added b6 back in it might start going back to normal.

Good plan SoS, might look at that next. Theanine and taurine are the ones i should get tomorrow to hopefully help.

nanonug

my balance seems to go out the window with adrenaline

I don't think adrenaline is the problem, noradrenaline (aka norepinephrine) to serotonin ratio is. If the ratio is too high, you are going to start "climbing walls". My guess is that you need to increase serotonin levels.

peggy-sue

Quote:

"SSRIs create a block to stop the flow of serotonin, so it takes a while to build up a decent storage facility, peggy-sue."

Sorry, Gavman, that's wrong. SSRI stands for "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor".

When transmitter is released into the synapse (which it is, in the form of little packets of molecules, not one molecule at a time - it's not an accurately measured number of molecules released) other molecules are also released - to deal with the excess, mop it up and put it back - these molecules are the "reuptakers".

SSRIs inhibit these molecules from working, so the serotonin lasts for a longer time in the synapse.

Transmitters do not "flow".

But I would think an icepack... or thoughts of Anne Widdicombe sitting on the loo, would be far safer than resorting to SSRIs.

SSRIs are not at all well understood and they're chemical sledgehammers - with tons and tons of effects way above and beyond those required of them.

snowathlete

I've had this problem all my life from a young age. Nothing really works, but avoid triggers like going out on hot days to populated areas, tv, talking to good looking girls etc. not easy I know, but thinking about it makes it harder - literally!

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
I thought I was the only one experiencing an exaggerated appetite:D What I have noticed is that is related to my fatigue, the more fatigue I have, the more drive increases. Is like an indirect signal that my brain needs something. Now that I am feeling better it has calmed down. All I have taken is Imunovir+ equilibrant not sure which helped. But I have noticed it others time w/o taking anything just when I feel better it goes away.
Me too! Thought I was the only one who experienced this particular paradox!

taniaaust1

I dont have any ideas for you but would like to say if you find out you also have low testerone, whatever you do dont start taking testosterone supplementation when like that.

I did that and OMG.. my sexual frustration at not being able to get enough sex went right throu the roof.

Gavman

I'm not sure if its gonna be a short term as my body adjusts or a long-term problem. Icepacking it is cruel Heaps, gotta keep my giblets warm. :eek:)

Gavman

lol Justy, its not worth it. its over too quick to bother. I'll have to learn to communicate better to cover up my inadequacies. :eek:)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I'm not sure if its gonna be a short term as my body adjusts or a long-term problem. Icepacking it is cruel Heaps, gotta keep my giblets warm. :eek:)

maybe cruel to be kind, i was going after a laugh. If ice packs reduce your sex drive then i need a heat pack.
Interesting as i thought most had reduced sex drive.

cheers!!!