• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vit. K2 causing stomach ache, any ideas how to fix?

Ocean

Has anyone else had stomach troubles from taking vit. k2 and did you find a way to relieve it? I'm taking this because I'm trying to take vit. D but so far even the tiniest dose after a split open a capsule and take a few pieces of powder still hurts my stomach. Thanks.

nanonug

Has anyone else had stomach troubles from taking vit. k2 and did you find a way to relieve it? I'm taking this because I'm trying to take vit. D but so far even the tiniest dose after a split open a capsule and take a few pieces of powder still hurts my stomach. Thanks.

Do you have a link to the actual product you are taking?

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Are you taking MK4 or MK7? Also like nanonug would like to know which exact product before I could hazard a guess as to whats going on.

Ocean

I'm currently taking carlson vit k2, mk4. I ruled out mk7 due to issues with soy. It's been said there isn't actually soy in it but I read of others who have soy issues having trouble with it, and I don't consume soy so decided to stick with mk4.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
but so far even the tiniest dose after a split open a capsule and take a few pieces of powder still hurts my stomach. Thanks.

How about encapsulating it? I.e. taking an empty cap and put the amount you need to take in there first?

Asklipia

Ocean, I have taken a lot of MK4 in the last three years and am completely baffled by this.

First, MK4 is very difficult to assimilate. Nothing happens if you do not take it with a lot of fat, I mean at least a soup spoonful of butter. This is not because it hurts your stomach, it is because without fat nothing happens.
Anyway, this should be taken with fat food, fat because you need fat with it, but not too much fibre if you can avoid it because it could well soak it up and stop the assimilation. Fried eggs is ideal for that purpose.

Second, opening a capsule is fine but MK4 is fast destroyed by light so you should be careful where you do this and how you store the rest of the capsule.

Since you are not taking the capsule, we can rule out the capsule itself.
The capsule is supposed to contain 5 mg of menatetrenone. That is not much, so I suppose that if you manage to divide it, it must be enclosed in some filler powder. That may be the problem. Suppliers know that MK4 only works with fats, so they try to provide a fat with it. Unfortunately it does not say on the label what is in these capsules, apart from menatetrenone. I am always weary of companies who don't disclose the composition of the fillers. All this "no this, no that" does not inspire my trust. What is in there??? I have tried to look at the Carlson labs site bit it seems to be down at the moment.
Have you been taking Carlson supplements before? Did you find them OK?

I very much doubt that the problem is the menatetrenone. As I said elsewhere MK4 supplements are very unequal. I cannot recommend brands I did not try. Obviously after your experience I think I can put the Carslon Labs one in the "Don't try it" batch!
Best
Asklipia

Ocean

Thanks everyone for the ideas of taking it with the capsule and with fat and food and keeping it away from light. I'm going to try all of those.

Asklipia is there a brand you recommend? I really only found a couple brands selling this and the other was really expensive.

Asklipia

Menatetrenone IS expensive.
I only tried two brands : Relentless Improvement (OK if you don't take the capsule, because the capsule is NOT OK) and the "Glakay" speciality of Eisai Japan.
'Glakay" was working a bit better, maybe because the formulation allows for better absorption, or because their menatetrenone is just better, they are the ones who invented an ecological way to produce it. But if you want to take tiny doses, it is not possible to share the contents. The capsule is tiny and contains oil. 15 mg per capsule.
The Relentless Improvement I tried about two years ago, so I don't know if they are still OK, if the capsule has changed etc. I am sticking with the "Glakay" as I got fantastic results. Menatetrenone may be expensive, but I got better fast and stopped taking lots of other supplements.
I did not try other brands after that because I figured I prefer to take my menatetrenone from the people who formulated it first. Also I am not in the US and must get everything by mail. Might as well have the real stuff. It ends up costing more if you have to throw away something that makes you sick or does not work properly.
I gave more details in that thread : http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...mk7)-helped-you/page2&highlight=menatetrenone
Except that at the beginning I said I have tried Vitamin Research, which I had not. What I had tried was Relentless Improvement as I just told you. Unfortunately I could not edit my posts.
Good luck!

Ocean

Thanks Asklipia. Today I took a tiny tiny amount in a capsule with salmon and no stomach problems! Great news. I will gradually try to increase the dose and hope that was all the fix I needed to tolerate it. Thanks everyone.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Ocean, I have taken a lot of MK4 in the last three years and am completely baffled by this.

First, MK4 is very difficult to assimilate. Nothing happens if you do not take it with a lot of fat, I mean at least a soup spoonful of butter. This is not because it hurts your stomach, it is because without fat nothing happens.
Anyway, this should be taken with fat food, fat because you need fat with it, but not too much fibre if you can avoid it because it could well soak it up and stop the assimilation. Fried eggs is ideal for that purpose.

Second, opening a capsule is fine but MK4 is fast destroyed by light so you should be careful where you do this and how you store the rest of the capsule.

Since you are not taking the capsule, we can rule out the capsule itself.
The capsule is supposed to contain 5 mg of menatetrenone. That is not much, so I suppose that if you manage to divide it, it must be enclosed in some filler powder. That may be the problem. Suppliers know that MK4 only works with fats, so they try to provide a fat with it. Unfortunately it does not say on the label what is in these capsules, apart from menatetrenone. I am always weary of companies who don't disclose the composition of the fillers. All this "no this, no that" does not inspire my trust. What is in there??? I have tried to look at the Carlson labs site bit it seems to be down at the moment.
Have you been taking Carlson supplements before? Did you find them OK?

I very much doubt that the problem is the menatetrenone. As I said elsewhere MK4 supplements are very unequal. I cannot recommend brands I did not try. Obviously after your experience I think I can put the Carslon Labs one in the "Don't try it" batch!
Best
Asklipia

I would think you would have to have plenty of the "fat" metabolizing enzymes as well for it to be processed.