• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

best absorbed magnesium

Lala

Orotic acid also causes liver cancer, at least in rats.

Well, mankind products never contain so absurdly high doses like those used in rats study. Moreover orotic acid is produced by own intestinal flora. Do you have any other source that shows OA is toxic?

adreno

PR activist
Well, mankind products never contain so absurdly high doses like those used in rats study. Moreover orotic acid is produced by own intestinal flora. Do you have any other source that shows OA is toxic?

You are very welcome to use it. I don't see the advantage of this form over others.

"The Panel concludes that in the light of the tumour-promoting effect of orotic acid in animal experimentation, the small margin of safety to this effect from foreseeable exposure, and the absence of any relevant studies on genotoxicity and of any developmental studies, the use of orotate as a source of the eight other minerals and choline at the proposed levels of use is of safety concern."

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/ans_ej1187_Orotates_op_en.pdf

Lala

You are very welcome to use it. I don't see the advantage of this form over others.

"The Panel concludes that in the light of the tumour-promoting effect of orotic acid in animal experimentation, the small margin of safety to this effect from foreseeable exposure, and the absence of any relevant studies on genotoxicity and of any developmental studies, the use of orotate as a source of the eight other minerals and choline at the proposed levels of use is of safety concern."

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/ans_ej1187_Orotates_op_en.pdf

According to this paper no adverse effects were found up to 50mg/kg daily which is far above any supplemental ranges. OA is found in common vegetables, fruits and milk.

Minerals and vitamins in orotate form act as superior transporters throughout the body. When a mineral is in an orotate form, it can pass through cell membranes easily without breaking apart so it can get to where its needed most - joints, tissues, cartilage, brain. Magnesium orotate is muc more easily absorbed than any other form.

adreno

PR activist
According to this paper no adverse effects were found up to 50mg/kg daily which is far above any supplemental ranges. OA is found in common vegetables, fruits and milk.

Minerals and vitamins in orotate form act as superior transporters throughout the body. When a mineral is in an orotate form, it can pass through cell membranes easily without breaking apart so it can get to where its needed most - joints, tissues, cartilage, brain. Magnesium orotate is muc more easily absorbed than any other form.

I didn't expect an expert panel opinion to change your beliefs. I'm posting this information for others to get the facts.

When converting the dose from rat to human equivalent, 50mg/kg equates to approximately 500mg for a 60kg human. I wouldn't call this "far above any supplemental ranges."

Regarding absorption, do you have any evidence that the orotate form is superior?

Lala

I didn't expect an expert panel opinion to change your beliefs. I'm posting this information for others to get the facts.

When converting the dose from rat to human equivalent, 50mg/kg equates to approximately 500mg for a 60kg human. I wouldn't call this "far above any supplemental ranges."

Regarding absorption, do you have any evidence that the orotate form is superior?

50mg/kg equates 3 000mg for 60kg human, not 500mg.

Lala

No, it isn't. Here's a paper for you, that describes how to convert doses:

http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/3/659.full.pdf

But even if it was 3000mg, it still wouldn't be "far above any supplemental ranges", since 1500mg of magnesium orotate contains only about 100mg elemental magnesium.

Yes, I overlooked they mentioned doses for rats, not humans, sorry.

Here is good article about orotates and Dr. Nieper.
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/calcium-orotate/orotates-mineral-transporters

Btw: Is EFSA the same authority due to which we are now forbidden to buy high dose vitamin C? (We can not buy more than 1000mg in one tablet)

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I've been hearing a bit about Magnesium Threonate lately:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012...um-Compound-Reverses-Neurodegeneration_01.htm
...It's not inexpensive, but apparently very well absorbed. The article is worth a read.

BTW I use mg malate, chloride oil and mg glycinate daily.

Threonate is the new one on the block and yes it is expensive because it has a patent on it. However, it is the only on the will cross the BBB and interacts with NMDA somehow

lizw118

I like magnesium glycinate. It's the only one that doesn't make me feel all icky and groggy the next day. I am not sure if that means it is better absorbed though

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
The Neuromag made me a bit too alert at night. It sure works!!!

I like good old Mag. Citrate powder. 400mg in water twice a day.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
At one time it was magnesium chloride, but that was before magenesium glycinate was introduced however I don't know if that changes anything. Magnesium threonate from what I have read has only one thing going for it and that is crossing the blood brain barrier fairly easily and pretty thouroghly, plus has a strong effect on NMDA. It is also somewhat more expensive since it has a patent on it

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Which are broken down into free form amino acids, before entering the bloodstream.

True, but there is a big difference between eating meat which is full of all the amino acids in balance/combination and is digested pretty slowly, and taking a highly purified amino acid which can be absorbed pretty much instantly. Taking individual amino acids is very different from eating a general food protein source such as meat as shown by all the medical / therapeutic uses that amino acids are put too (e.g. see "The healing nutrients within" by Braverman et al.).

adreno

PR activist
True, but there is a big difference between eating meat which is full of all the amino acids in balance/combination and is digested pretty slowly, and taking a highly purified amino acid which can be absorbed pretty much instantly. Taking individual amino acids is very different from eating a general food protein source such as meat as shown by all the medical / therapeutic uses that amino acids are put too (e.g. see "The healing nutrients within" by Braverman et al.).
To get the therapeutic effects of free form amino acids, you have to take them on an empty stomach, because they compete for absorption. So if you take the aspartate with food, you should be fine.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
To get the therapeutic effects of free form amino acids, you have to take them on an empty stomach, because they compete for absorption. So if you take the aspartate with food, you should be fine.

Maybe. Maybe not. The powder will still be free form and amenable to quick absorption, where as the food will have to be broken down first.

I started taking mag aspartate which was available through a local new zealand manufacture. I was taking about 600mg. I started noticing quite bad headaches an hour or so after taking (it took about 2months to work out). My girlfriend also noted the exact same thing.

It appeared at least in the brand I tried (Thompson) caused issues. From reading about it non natural forms of aspartate can cause issues (I believe it relates to a GABA balance). I eventually replaced with combination of forms without issue:
For me magnesium is single most effect supplement in terms of boosting energy and relaxing the body for sleep. I was injecting it for about 2 months however I suffered bad injection lumps.