• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else find their ability to spell is completely messed up?

taniaaust1

Yes for sure! I completely mix words up. Make horrible grammatical errors I wouldn't have once made. I can remember some times when I substituted completely unrelated words and what I've been trying to say has turned into complete rubbish.

With the ME I used to have all my spelling all scew up but it dont tend to manifest in that way for me any more but rather does that huge word substituation thing.

Words which have no meaning to the one my brain is thinking to write.. and often not even alike it in looks appear a lot in my typing (hence all the edits.. Im editing due to whole word mistakes not spelling mistakes)

I dont get it now but I also went throu a long stage where my I'd always be finding the OPPOSITE words typed to the ones Im trying to type. eg "her" instead of "him".. "you" instead of "me" "up" instead of "down" " etc I went throu a huge issue with that opposite word problems..
You have no idea how often I have to completely rewrite posts on here or come back and edit them. I think I'm the edit king. Sigh.

lol you cant be.. I am the edit king :p .
I often have to edit my posts a crazy number of times, I think most of my posts are edited.

Another tidbit. When I'm at my worst, my handwriting looks like a toddlers!

My hand writing is so screwed. I cant write by hand much at all and end up having to do bigger letters as I go my hand struggles to keep coordinated and struggles not to start shaking on me. Large writing is easier for me then try to write normal size. Before ME I had very nice hand writing.

edit.. I also have an issue with extra words appearing which arent meant to be there. That is why this post has been edited

second edit. Now Im finding words completely missing in another place. That is the other issue ME I have.. words mid sentence missing.
Before ME my typing was very good. (I used to be able to accurately type at 67 words per minute)

hurtingallthetimet

yes ive even appoligized in post before because i know sometimes what i write must be hard for others to sometiems read..

i use to be a great typer fast and spelled good, when i did misspell i could quickly and easily correct it and i was able to use proper format..

it is embarassing how bad its gotten i forgot words to say at times also...i think it has to do with alot of things my memory the fog and stiff painful fingers and hands

*GG*

I forgot to vote yesterday and was reminded by my mrs that morning before she left. I didnt realise until the news was on talking about the elections, straight away i realised, and i was winging about being bored, now i may cop a fine for not voting, --it happens i guess.

cheers!!!

What, you can be fined for not voting? Never heard of such a thing!

GG

taniaaust1

What, you can be fined for not voting? Never heard of such a thing!

GG

Yes it sucks.. in Australia we are forced to vote.. even if we think the polititians are lying idiots.

Ive been fined before too for forgetting to vote.. I tried to refuse to pay the fine but then got a letter saying if I didnt pay it, they'd take away my car licence.. so I was forced to pay it!!!

(I'd wanted not to pay it as I was hoping then they'd take me court to try to make me.. where I would of brought in my memory issues as a reason along with my religious beliefs, which should make me not have to vote if I dont want to.
If they had been going to take it to court I may of got a permanent excemption for not voting.. its lousy to threaten people with taken car licence away instead).

Wally

Yes. Writing has become very difficult (word mix-ups, run-on sentences, grammar mistakes, memory lapses, writing/typing at a snails pace, bone crunching fatigue for trying so hard to communicate, overall inarticulate expression of thoughts/ideas/questions that are swirling around in my brain). Oral communication is easier for me, but some of the same problems do crop up and it is much more difficult to push the "preview" button or hurry to press the "edit" button before anyone notices. :Retro redface:

I use to be a lawyer, so it is painful to see the decline in skills that once came so naturally. I have talked to other people with this illness who were in the same profession and their writing skills are still pretty sharp. I guess it just depends on where the damage/inflammation has decided to play "Marco Polo" in our bodies. Perhaps we could design a symbol that would stand as an automatic apology for the variety of mistakes that may appear in our postings. :D

Googsta

Doing Well
Hixxy, I wouldn't over tax yourself worrying about spelling errors here, everyone understands :D.

I was a superb speller, my handwriting always received compliments & I remembered everyone's telephone number.
Now I can't remember my own telephone number.

I read the same info again & again but it just won't absorb, the more I try to rush problem solving the worse I become.
I forget my left & my right alot, it's not unusual for me to have my wedding ring on the wrong hand.

There's alot more I forget but I won't get sidetracked, let's just say it makes life interesting.....& I provide a never ending supply of comic releif to my husband :p

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
yes, especially i, e or words with oi or io i seem to get them the wrong way around and same with ie and ei. SOmetimes when typing i will be thinking to far ahead of what i am typing and miss words, i reread it and sometimes i cant understand what im trying to type. But the last 18months i reread posts alot to check for this and find many mistakes. sometimes i know i have spelled(rereading this i spelled spelled wrong, lol) something wrong but just leave it. or if i read someone elses post and cant understand a word i look at the keyboard and insert a letter into the word i dont understand that is close to the letter that doesnt look right.

cheers!!!

I'm just like you heaps those i and e words and the ous type words give me a fit. Thank goodness for spell check while I have am making an attempt to wean off of it a little bit. I try to read something in a book or a magazine everyday in hopes that it will not deteriorate any more. Then if I do know how to spell the word, I'll hit the wrong key on the keyboard. I'm going to get one of those keyboards on TV that has great big yellow keys and the letters that are the same size as the key!!

Another things is knives and forks. Instinctively you should know which hand holds which. But for periods of time (usually over a month) I sit down to meals where I just sit there swapping them from one hand to the other trying to work out which goes where. Not only cannot I not remember, but I can't feel what is right. Bizarre, like two different mechanisms or types of memory fail at the same time.

This happens to me with the gas pedal and brake, I panic for a second but it's usually OK to tap one lightly and get your answer. I get confused with left and right a lot and some other things that are more like your example.

> Does anyone else find their ability to spell is completely messed up?

yed

LOL thanks for the laugh.

SOC

Do you find words inexplicably transforming themselves when you type?
an --> and
than --> that
they --> the
is --> it

I must need a new keyboard. :angel: