• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Critical - multiple food allergies

hixxy

What type of reactions do you suffer from? Does it change hour to hour, day to day?
Are you taking antihistamines? (I am not taking any).

I have everything from instant oral, nasal, throat, esophageal inflammation. To rapid neurologial reactions (increased overstimulation, depression, agitation, anger). Also fatigue, and neurological arm pain. All these reactions are rapid -- not delayed.

I effectively react to foods in the exact same way as environmental chemicals.

Very hard to deal with.

maryb;258213]I think this maybe the time where you need to be under the care of your GP. its really horrible, putting things on your lips or tongue and having to spit it out immediately, in a permanent state of fear about food.

Seeing my GP tomorrow, so far, not interested. Given antihistamines and epi-pen. Keeping rational about trying foods, don't want flight/fight type of reaction,
no avoidance to tring minute amount of foods, trying not see food as the enemy or the response, etc...meditation is helping lots to keep from emotional response.

Unless you can manage on brown rice, perhaps rice milk with a few minerals/vitamins added for a couple of weeks. This is not a diet to be advised but I've been in your shoes and done it - until I felt everything had calmed down, adding in every week one at a time, gluten free bread, broccoli, carrots, lamb then beef.
The problem is you have to be very very patient and strict.

Absolutely right, but then, if there is no rotation or diet to go on, if only two or three foods are tolerated at this time. In all honesty, I tried rotation, try adding new foods, etc.. it does not really work. Allergists some years ago would say not to eat for a few weeks, then re introduce, or leave for six months, and well, you were probably told the same, it may work for some.
Antihistamines may help but in your situation I wouldn't try them unless on a doctors prescription, and I would sit outside the surgery when taking the first one, sounds dramatic I know but I also know how quickly adverse reactions can be.

Yes, I was prescribed anti histamines, but I won't take them, can't tolerate either.

I
've had bad experiences too with de-sensitization programmes, worse thing I ever did, but they do work for many I know.

Hope it settles down soon, and you'll get back to where you were.
BtW What was the prduct that caused this latest reaction?

I took Concentrace trace minerals, which worked wonders for the arrythmias and hunger
pangs, but reacted strongly, and it cascaded to worsening of allergies.
I would recommend this product for energy level, nutritional deficiencies,
and those who are chronically ill. But be aware that anyone could have
an allergic reaction to anything at any time, and this prod was incidental.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
PS - I can't tolerate pears even now, and beans of any kind, I lived on rice chicken broccoli and carrots for a long time, now can't tolerate chicken since my last reaction, so things do change.
I had the blood test which showed a bean intolerance so that was spot on. I am going to ask my NAET practioner to test me for beans as they are a good source of protein, see how it goes.
I also think the environment you are in adds to the allergic response so you may be allergic to dust mites and that increases the MCS and food allergies and so on, its a blinking minefield.

hixxy

Interesting. I've got the highest level of dust mite allergy. I've never been desensitised for it. Maybe I'll look into this. On testing it's definitely my worst allergy.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Well honestly that could be worsening things massively, mine was really bad after the immunotherapy treatment, I had to retreat to my bedroom for nearly 6months until I could get the house cleaned up with someone dusting, hoovering and the use of air filters on high power, it took ages but it worked, how possible is that for you? fabric sofas are a big source of dust for me, loose covers or leather are best.

Its so hard investigating your environment and keeping it free of dust when you feel so ill. And as for carpets - don't get me started on those:) I put throws over mine for my dog to lie on and then wash the throws, this illness can make us seem paranoid, don't call Wessley please......

Do try the Qlink - I did and hope it works for you, but make sure you can return if it doesn't suit I just felt really ill from the first time I put it on, no problems with returning it though and money back straight away. We're all so different in how we react to things.

Re antihistamines, I tried a new one recently just half a pill and think it did help its called Zirtek -recommended by someone on PR as an anti-inflammatory, think Piriteeze is the same compound but cheaper, maybe worth a try? I only took it for 3 weeks but it seemed to get me over the worse.

You're right about needing extra minerals, I tried the Nutrimins last year and like a fool went on to have a good 8months and stopped taking them. Just started again last week they seem to suit me fine.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
PS - I can't tolerate pears even now, and beans of any kind, I lived on rice chicken broccoli and carrots for a long time, now can't tolerate chicken since my last reaction, so things do change.
I had the blood test which showed a bean intolerance so that was spot on. I am going to ask my NAET practioner to test me for beans as they are a good source of protein, see how it goes.
I also think the environment you are in adds to the allergic response so you may be allergic to dust mites and that increases the MCS and food allergies and so on, its a blinking minefield.

Maryb, I do not doubt what you are saying, but according to Failsafe it may not be so straight forward, which is why other MCS sufferers build on the database of safe products and those that are not. Eg some varieties of pears are a no go. And they recommend peeling heavily, so it may be the skin which is not good. Canned pears in pear juice is a no go, but canned pears in syrup is okay. Pears that are not soft are no go.

Broccoli and carrots are also no goers in the long-term, so even if you can tolerate them atm, they may still be adding to your intolerance. Similar story for some beans. I only use dried beans (kidney). I have to quick soften them. Do not soak them overnight. Do not store them in fridge for more than a night. Some of your reactions appear to be related to protein, I agree. One possibility, you are intolerant of amines. Soaking beans over night or storage in the fridge builds up amines.

What they recommend is an elimination diet which was set up and is still run by the Royal Prince Albert Hospital to treat MCS. It is not a fad, but a scientifically reasoned and monitored program: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...5aW6Dg&usg=AFQjCNEGY4wnMOT8qmrbUChmfcR1s13qvw You pear (pardon the pun) down to two or three basic items and overtime add new ones to see if there is a reaction.

PS I also get a reaction to chicken. Failsafe says only get whole uncooked chicken. However the elimination diet recommends skin off and steam. Do not eat fat and do not eat chicken that has been cooked and kept in the fridge. You can, however freeze these products as that slows down production of amines.

Dainty;258167]Quirky,

So glad you posted here. I've been where you are. There were weeks when the only thing I could eat was white rice, and even that had to be blended down into a smoothie and watered down so that I could drink it because my throat was so tight that solid food wouldn't go down. And then I lost even that. Several times I as all the way down to no foods at all, though thankfully that generally only lasted a few days to a week before I was able to find a tiny bit of something that I could get down. I don't have any surefire advice for you, but I can offer a lot of ideas ased both on my experience and on what I've learned since then. (I'm down to about 5 or less foods right now but my diet has now been stable for years.)

Dainty: did you also have the typical allergic reactions with the tight throat?

I use to have the tight throat minus allergic reaction. Some articles I read concluded neurological.

Then, came severe allergies to water, minimal physical exertion, heat, cold, body temperature,
food temperature, all sorts foods since 2002. Resulting in severe nutritional deficiencies.

Since 200s, have been able to only eat between two to 10 boiled foods, nothing else,
no sauces, no juices, teas, nothing else. Now, can only eat brown rice and beef!! Am trying
to introduce foods never eaten before. Trying Chinese/Asian grocery stores.

Its getting to the point where the arrythmias are constant accompanies with
severe hunger pangs, and faint like episodes/weakness

If I were in your shoes right now, the first thing I would try is called a nutrient enema, or rectal feeding. it sounds like the reactions are triggering upon contact with your lips, mouth, or esophegus, and my suspicion would be that bypassing that system entirely could get you a wider range of nutrients. I have never done this myself as I only found out about it a few months ago. But from what I've learned from talking to people who have done it, you can use basically any tube, and any liquid food, though you generally want to avoid really fatty stuff because the fat can't be absorbed that way.

Its a good idea. I will experiment, and puts some foods near the mucous area of the rectum and see if I react. Although, I would think, that if the reaction to pin prick quantity of cheese on lip brought on immediate reaction, it might result in the same, lol. I did at one time have reaction on all external mucous membrane, and you can well imagine what I mean. This happened when a neighbor painted their appartment!!

I'd probably start with something like beef broth and/or rice water since you know you can tolerate those, and if that goes okay then I'd slowly add in other things to that mixture so that instead of getting a totally new food your body is receiving what it's accustomed to plus a bit of something else. Ideally, I'd try to switch entirely over to nutrient enemas for a week or longer to try to give that whole mouth and throat area a chance to really calm down.

Tolerating beef chunks and brown rice cooked in water. Added peas, but can't eat peas yet. Can tolerate in the cooked brown rice and beef. Oh, I can tolerate dates, which is good for potassium and magnesium. As mentioned above, will try a tiny amount of food near the mucous membrane of the rectal area. Need to read more about this before proceeding with nutrional enemas.

There's a lot more that I want to write, so many different directions you could go in with this, but first I have a few questions:
How many foods were you tolerating prior to the recent exposure that knocked you to this state?

Since 2002. Fluctuates. Apples (not now), Conference pears (not now) Edam & soft goat cheese (no longer),
celery, cabbage (recently), chicken (not for about 6 yrs), lamb (no longer), broccoli (no longer), yogurt (no longer),
cottage cheese (not recently), fish (not since 2002), raisins on/off (not now), pomegranates (must try again), dates
on/off, watermelon on/off (no longer), carrots raw, on/off (not sure now). Raw cucumber (not now). Green peas (not now)
string beans (not now) All cooked in water only. Sea weed (not now).Hemp powder (not now), ImmunoPro (don't know now). Onion
(trying again now boiled with rice and beef).

Tried various teas
such as jasmine tea, Chinese teas, (no coffee which I love), rosehips tea.

As for Vits, could toleratre some a few years back, and recently, Vit C, wheat germ oil, vegetarian Q10, TMG, but not
recently.

Now: beef and brown rice, not too sure about brown rice, seem to react slightly. Can tolerate Himalayan salts.

Has the amount of foods you can eat gone up and down multiple times over the years or has it been a steady decline?

Not greatly increased since 2002. Since the recent exposure, down to three foods. Brown rice, slight reaction.
The reactions fluctuate, one day can eat apple the next not, can change throughout the day.

Was there any time in the past when you did react either to beef or brown rice?

Yes, I did react to brown rice in the past. And no to beef.

Do you feel like you're getting enough to eat despite the severely limited diet?

Not, very hungry and arrythmias, dizzy, faint like, weak.

What is your weight like? Over? Under?

Fluctuates, but now overweight could be the hypothyroidism, untreated,
can't tolerate any of those meds.

A quick note about NAET: while many have experience remarkable success with it to reduce widespread food sensitivities including more than one friend of mine, my experience with NAET actually worsened my food allergies/sensitivities. The doctor administering it acknowledged that we had to stop because it was clearly making things worse rather than improving it. That was the time I had multiple instances of temporarily not being able to eat anything. So while it can help a lot, there are also risks to be weighed when considering it. There are several other ideas of treatment that I could toss out but I'll wait until I hear back from you.
Hang in there. *hugs*

I would not consider NAET at the mo, can't afford it, and the risks are not worth it. Not when I am down to two foods, MCS now very severe too...I will keep trying minute amount of food daily.
Thanks for taking the time for your input.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I understand what you're saying about the pears Rusty, Dr My-hill told me lamb and pears were the safest foods, maybe try them again peeled, I never eat canned products and everything I make is fresh on the day, if I can't cook I just have gluten free toast for the day and don't worry about it.

Funnily enough I tested positive on 2 blood tests (4 years apart) for intolerance to eggs, as well as feeling ill if I tried one. The NAET practioner I saw recently said I wasn't allergic to eggs, I've had 2 over the past 3 weeks, just the whites though, and been okay, so things definitely do change in what you are sensitive to, without you realising.

RustyJ

Absolutely right, but then, if there is no rotation or diet to go on, if only two or three foods are tolerated at this time. In all honesty, I tried rotation, try adding new foods, etc.. it does not really work. Allergists some years ago would say not to eat for a few weeks, then re introduce, or leave for six months, and well, you were probably told the same, it may work for some.

The main purpose of an elimination diet for many is to identify those foods which are problematic. Not specifically for a cure. It may take years to bring system back into balance. For some of us, this may not happen. But if I know that I can eat fresh whole chicken by steaming it etc, then I would happily do that if it meant my diet was a little less restrictive. If I know to avoid chicken that has been kept in supermarket fridge for a week then all the better. The point is that if amines are a problem, then you can take the first steps to getting around it.

Problems even with potatoes. Brushed potatoes are spraying with chemicals. Some varieties are high naturally high in chemicals.

Old 'fresh' chicken and other old meats is very problematic and would explain viable reactions. How do you know what is fresh? Maybe we need to go back to killing our own food.

I understand what you're saying about the pears Rusty, Dr My-hill told me lamb and pears were the safest foods, maybe try them again peeled, I never eat canned products and everything I make is fresh on the day, if I can't cook I just have gluten free toast for the day and don't worry about it.

Funnily enough I tested positive on 2 blood tests (4 years apart) for intolerance to eggs, as well as feeling ill if I tried one. The NAET practioner I saw recently said I wasn't allergic to eggs, I've had 2 over the past 3 weeks, just the whites though, and been okay, so things definitely do change in what you are sensitive to, without you realising.

maryb: tests are unreliable. Allergies for me change all the time. The most reliable is food testing. My blood tests show no allergies, yet I am. Further investigations showed tests to be unreliable. I also did a hair test through a TCM doc in London, some were accurate, no longer relevant, since I can now
only eat two foods.

As for pears and lamb, its recommended, but I can't eat those either.

Its very difficult since there are so many other variables to take into account.

Digestive system, immune system, environment, weather, food temperature, body
temperature and more.

IMO, the symptoms you guys are describing sounds more like mast cell activation disorder, than MCS.

adreno: I am reading up on mast cell diseases (MCD) I met a met on FB who had similar problems for 20 years.
Its only recently that iit was found he suffers from MCD. I will read up today and ask my GP to test for this. Its very similar. The man is on steroids, which I would rther not take. I would probably look to other options to treat. At one point, he could only eat one food which was canned. Can't remember which one now.

adreno: do you think what I am describing could also be MCD?

What are the two foods you are able to tolerate?

Exactly, when do you get the allergic reaction? Immediately after food touches your tongue, throat or stomach?

now, beef and brown rice (boiled), and dates!!

Reaction can be touching lips, inside lips, in mouth chewing or throat. Sometimes, as for peppers and blueberries,
some seed oil caps, severe pain in abdomen lasting for many hours.

nanonug

I still take a H2 antagonist (for stomach produced histamine) - ranitidine, rather than a proton pump inhibitor. Many of my issues seem to be histamine-induced, whether or not there is an underlying cause I don't know.

I don't understand this. Taking a H2 inhibitor is a sure fire way of increasing histamine levels in your body. Not as bad as a proton pump inhibitor, though. On top of that, your body wil also have to deal with partially digested food proteins, potentially leading to increased allergies and things such as small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

In my case, increasing methylation and taking diamine oxidase are the two tools I use to deal with histamine overload symptoms.

Quirky, I'm not an expert, but I believe it could be MCAD. You could try a mast cell stabilizer. I wouldn't recommend steroids.
I found this from someone who suffers MCAD:

http://alwayswellwithin.com/practical-guides/wellness/mast-cell-activation/

Thanks for the link. What made you think it could some type of MCD?

Do you know anyone who suffers with it? Which are the best tests to ask the GP,
who is stingy with the budget...How can I present it to the GP so that he does the
necessary tests, and what is the best test to request?

RustyJ

Hi mary, be careful with gluten free breads, they still have corn starch (high in sulphites which are used in the processing) most flours also have added sulphites. High sulphites may be implicated in the breakdown of the methylation cycle and gives me immediate burning and bloating. I now only eat rice bread (Britts) toasted with salt for flavour. It is virtually impossible to find a flour that is completely sulphite free, which means that even home baking is difficult.

For breakfast I was buying rice flakes to make a porridge, but I think there is a problem there. So I make my own from rice. Tastes better and a lot cheaper. Most other cereals are a no go, apart from some organic millets and buckwheat. Still a minefield brandwise, which is where failsafe community comes in. If they come across a product that is bad, they tell everyone by posting on the site.

Also at Failsafe you will find which pears are best. One other fruit I can have is skinned Red Delicious apples sparingly (all other apples are high in salycilates), and the occasional banana (even though I get a reaction)

There are problems with allergy tests (that's all I will say). Only way to be sure is to avoid completely most sources then introduce gradually to identify, it's too confusing otherwise.

Here is a list of low salycilate low amine foods which show you what a minefield it is: http://www.happytums.com/images/Salicylates_And_Amines.pdf

What most people don't realise is that it is the high amines in cocoa, that make it difficult to tolerate chocolate. If you have problems with chocolate, then an amine problem with proteins will be your first elimination.

adreno

PR activist
Thanks for the link. What made you think it could some type of MCD?

Do you know anyone who suffers with it? Which are the best tests to ask the GP,
who is stingy with the budget...How can I present it to the GP so that he does the
necessary tests, and what is the best test to request?

Sorry, I'm not an expert. You are going to have to do your own research.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Quirky I do agree blood tests are unreliable to a degree, they show some food intolerances but not others, eg. I test okay for berries, but if I eat a strawberry, the following day my left eyelid will be practically on my cheek making me look like I've had a stroke.
I tend to use them as a guide around stuff but not to the letter ever, food testing is definitely the only way to be sure.

nanonug

the symptoms you guys are describing sounds more like mast cell activation disorder

Is MCAD supposed to have this near-instant, at-a-distance effect? Simply putting a drop of yogurt on your lips and mast cells degranulate right away in your throat? I am far from an expert on MCAD but this spooky action at a distance is really confusing to me.