• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Folate supplements necessary to take with B12 if Red Cell Folate levels are high?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
[ quoteI have this same exact set of symptoms, including the pain under the left breast! By the way, a recent echocardiogram showed everything is fine with my heart.

The reason I asked those questions is my belief that all the symptoms are tied together to some form of histamine overload. When I was younger, my blood pressure was usually around 90/60. Now that I am older and fatter, my blood pressure is still a very normal 120/80! A good deal of the stuff that I currently take is aimed at lowering histamine.

Here is an interesting paper explaining the effects too much histamine have on the body (including cardiac arrest):
nanonug

Can I ask you nanonug what are you taking to try to lower histamine?

hixxy

They don't say where they are getting their methylfolate. Is it really just pure L-methylfolate or does it also contain D-methylfolate?

I read back about the MM Methylfolate suppllement where it is 10mg of methylfolate from a total of 20mg (possible racemix), the b complex doesn't appear to be like this.

I just sent MM a email requesting that they clarify if the high dose methyfolate supplement is a DL racemix and to confirm the manufacturers of the methylfolate in both the products.

hixxy

nanonug

Can I ask you nanonug what are you taking to try to lower histamine?

If you look at Figure 2 on the "Histamine and histamine intolerance" paper, you'll see that there are two mechanism for histamine metabolism: one through diamine oxidase, the other through histamine N-methyltransferase.

Diamine oxidase is usually secreted in the stomach to help eliminate exogenous histamine, that present in food. On the other hand, the enzyme histamine N-methyltransferase is produced by pretty much every single cell in the body to degrade histamine "captured" through the various histamine receptors (H1 through H4, so far).

Right now, I am trying to get rid of excess histamine by both supplementing with diamine oxidase on an empty stomach, and overdriving the methylation cycle on which histamine N-methyltransferase depends. I take diamine oxidase on an empty stomach in an attempt to get it in the blood stream and subsequently degrade plasma histamine. I also take somewhat high dosages of TMG, methionine, methylfolate and methylcobalamin to overdrive the methylation cycle, thus supporting the histamine N-methyltransferase pathway.

nanonug

I just sent MM a email requesting that they clarify if the high dose methyfolate supplement is a DL racemix and to confirm the manufacturers of the methylfolate in both the products.

Hixxy, do you ever sleep, man! :D

Please, share with us their answer, if any. I am curious myself.

hixxy

Hixxy, do you ever sleep, man! :D

Please, share with us their answer, if any. I am curious myself.

I got a good 9 hours sleep or so! It's morning here now. I have no window coverings to block out the morning sun as I can't find any I can tolerate. So I rise with the sun -- not very voluntarily.

I must admit I've been on a bit of a run on these forums over the last few days. I'll get bored eventually... :) Not a whole lot of other things to keep me entertained.

hixxy

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Nanonug thats great thanks for that I think I'm heading in the right direction just need to try some TMG and methionine.
When I am in a well phase I have no problems with my heart, since I had a allergic reaction several months ago all the old symptoms started up, just beginning to resolve now but its taken so much effort to get here.

hixxy

nanonug: I'm curious how badly you flush when taking flushing niacin. Have you given it a go? I don't flush at all on 100mg.

nanonug

nanonug: I'm curious how badly you flush when taking flushing niacin. Have you given it a go? I don't flush at all on 100mg.

It's been a while since I've taken a significant amount of niacin but I did use to flush for quite some time after a fairly large dosage. Too much niacin is a big no-no in anyone with histamine overload issues.