• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any hormone experts out there?

hixxy

I've attached some testosterone, estradial, dhea blood work I had done last year.

What is going on??? My DHEA is never low, but testosterone and estradial are very low.

Do I have a conversion problem or something?

I'm currently waiting for adrenal saliva test results to return 7am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm cortisol and 7am DHEA.

hixxy

Attachments

• hormone 1.jpg
    hormone 1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 30
  • hormone 2.jpg
    hormone 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 25

xks201

Women's ovaries primarily produce testosterone. Your ovaries are deficient. You need hormone replacement therapy. This is why you are tired. I told you to look at hormones. You need testosterone as well as estrogen. This is not a DHEA conversion problem. You just have good adrenals and bad ovaries.

L'engle

moogle
I've attached some testosterone, estradial, dhea blood work I had done last year.

What is going on??? My DHEA is never low, but testosterone and estradial are very low.

Do I have a conversion problem or something?

I'm currently waiting for adrenal saliva test results to return 7am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm cortisol and 7am DHEA.

hixxy

Did they test anything called 'sex hormone binding globulin' (SHBG). For mine, the hormones were normal, but the SHGB was elevated a bit, indicating, as you say, a problem with using the hormones. That doctor recommended I take DHEA anyway. I tried the 7-Keto variety (against that doctor's advice, as she felt the original form would be more effective), and though it helped a bit, I didn't bother making the 5 hour journey to renew the prescription. I've had trouble importing DHEA and 7-keto DHEA into Canada, but I may try it again. Otherwise pregnenolone. I've tried thyroid extract too but it gave me crashed adrenals.

I'm not sure what a doctor would recommend for your case. Maybe others could illuminate a bit more.

xks201

High SHBG does not mean that it is a DHEA conversion problem to my knowledge. It means that your liver makes a lot of SHBG protein. That happens generally due to exposure to exogenous estrogens (meat and dairy, plastics)...all around us today. There is a drug that lowers it but good luck getting it. SHBG binds up testosterone and estrogen, essentially inactivating it. If it is lower it is better. Your total T and estrogen are low so fix that.

hixxy

Women's ovaries primarily produce testosterone. Your ovaries are deficient. You need hormone replacement therapy. This is why you are tired. I told you to look at hormones. You need testosterone as well as estrogen. This is not a DHEA conversion problem. You just have good adrenals and bad ovaries.

If only I had ovaries xks201! Instead I have testicles.... :D

hixxy

Did they test anything called 'sex hormone binding globulin' (SHBG). For mine, the hormones were normal, but the SHGB was elevated a bit, indicating, as you say, a conversion problem. That doctor recommended I take DHEA anyway. I tried the 7-Keto variety (against that doctor's advice, as she felt the original form would be more effective), and though it helped a bit, I didn't bother making the 5 hour journey to renew the prescription. I've had trouble importing DHEA and 7-keto DHEA into Canada, but I may try it again. Otherwise pregnenolone. I've tried thyroid extract too but it gave me crashed adrenals.

I'm not sure what a doctor would recommend for your case. Maybe others could illuminate a bit more.

SHBG is in the second attached image. Sorry they're so small they're kind of hiding there.

hixxy

hixxy

High SHBG does not mean that it is a DHEA conversion problem to my knowledge. It means that your liver makes a lot of SHBG protein. That happens generally due to exposure to exogenous estrogens (meat and dairy, plastics)...all around us today. There is a drug that lowers it but good luck getting it. SHBG binds up testosterone and estrogen, essentially inactivating it. If it is lower it is better. Your total T and estrogen are low so fix that.

I tried testosterone therapy only to find it made me agitated and aggressive even at low doses. This is presumably because I have very low serotonin and it blows the testosterone/serotonin ratio out.

hixxy

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Are u considering going on testosterone therapy. Just a guess but maybe your body is cranking up dhea production to try and increase your testosterone. Your cholesterol low? as this can be a cause of low T as well, increasing fat intake can help. Have u had cortisol, progesterone and a recent thyroid test(i know u are going to get more thyriod labs), also a vit d test as well, these are things that can effect hormones. Progesterone test can help indicate if your pregnenolone levels are low and if cortisol is high u mayb have something called pregnenolone steal going on which can occurr under high stress conditions. Progesterone test is used as pregnenolone tests are hard to get or not accurate but dr deed can do alot of this stuff too?
http://vimeo.com/3818805

cheers!!!

hixxy

Are u considering going on testosterone therapy. Just a guess but maybe your body is cranking up dhea production to try and increase your testosterone. Your cholesterol low? as this can be a cause of low T as well, increasing fat intake can help. Have u had cortisol, progesterone and a recent thyroid test(i know u are going to get more thyriod labs), also a vit d test as well, these are things that can effect hormones. Progesterone test can help indicate if your pregnenolone levels are low and if cortisol is high u mayb have something called pregnenolone steal going on which can occurr under high stress conditions. Progesterone test is used as pregnenolone tests are hard to get or not accurate but dr deed can do alot of this stuff too?

cheers!!!

I tried testtosterone threapy. Made be very agitated / rude / angry. Kind of like a milkd roid rage. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I believe it's because my serotonin is through the floor. Serot
onin/testosterone balance is important.

Maybe I will get a full updated hormonal workup done by Dr Deed.

hixxy

hixxy

hixxy, dude or chick? , sorry, your name is very neutral hard to tell what sex?? If male ignore PCOS

It's often a problem for me telling what sex people are on here. Sex mentioned on the left hand side near the rest of our details would be handy.

hixxy

taniaaust1

I tried testtosterone threapy. Made be very agitated / rude / angry. Kind of like a milkd roid rage. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I believe it's because my serotonin is through the floor. Serot
onin/testosterone balance is important.

Maybe I will get a full updated hormonal workup done by Dr Deed.

hixxy

Im a female with a testosterone deficiency since Ive had ME/CFS (I used to have too high testosterone before ME/CFS). My gyno put me on testosterone to try to get my levels normal and it had the same reaction on me as you so Ive said no to another testosterone implant.

I think I may try it sometime again but in a wee wee amount as testosterone anger and aggitation isnt good (does it come in cream?)

adreno

PR activist

cheers!!!

Only tiny amounts of T are produced by the adrenal cascade. In males, T is mainly produced in the testes, in females in the ovaries. Messing with progesterone, pregnenolone or DHEA is not going to raise T levels significantly. T levels are mainly under the control of the HPTA, not the HPA. As an example I have high T, but low cortisol and DHEA.

hixxy

Im a female with a testosterone deficiency since Ive had ME/CFS (I used to have too high testosterone before ME/CFS). My gyno put me on testosterone to try to get my levels normal and it had the same reaction on me as you so Ive said no to another testosterone implant.

I think I may try it sometime again but in a wee wee amount as testosterone anger and aggitation isnt good (does it come in cream?)

As far as I know the cream is the best way to do testosterone therapy? I used the cream.

hixxy

hixxy

Only tiny amounts of T are produced by the adrenal cascade. In males, T is mainly produced in the testes, in females in the ovaries. Messing with progesterone, pregnenolone or DHEA is not going to raise T levels significantly. T levels are mainly under the control of the HPTA, not the HPA. As an example I have high T, but low cortisol and DHEA.

Care to share from T? I've got DHEA to spare....

hixxy