• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New York Times coverage of XMRV and ME/CFS

leelaplay

This started from another thread. When I actually saw the list of stories in the NYTimes, I was so impressed by their coverage I thought it deserved its own thread. They're really on top of the story.

1. Oct 8 09 in the Research Section
Virus Is Found in Many With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

2. October 9, 2009, in the Consult Blog
The Mystery of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

3.October 12, 2009 in the Health Section
Could a virus be the cause of chronic fatigue syndrome?

4. 4. a) October 13, 2009, in the Consults Blog
Behavioral Treatments for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

b) Update | Oct. 14 . Questioning the mind-body view of chronic fatigue syndrome and EMDR. See Dr. Friedberg’s response below.

5. October 15, 2009, in the Consults Blog in the Health Section
Readers Ask: A Virus Linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Dr. Nancy G. Klimas, answers questions on the recently discovered retrovirus and clinical care of chronic fatigue syndrome

6. Oct 20 09 in Opinion
A Case of Chronic Denial by Hillary Johnson, author of Osler’s Web

7. Nov 11 09 in Giving Section
A Big Splash From an Upstart Medical Center

hmmmmmmm - a morning of creating this post?? Ah well, it really makes me feel good.

I seem to have become a letter writer. I think I'll write to the NYTimes to compliment them on how well they're covering this on-going breaking story. If anyone feels like doing the same, here's the general address for comments on news coverage:
nytnews@nytimes.com

and the site that lists everyone you could write to - publishers, editors... is here

The list might be useful to attach to other letters as well.

islandfinn:)

Wayne

Thanks Island Finn for NYT Article Links

hmmmmmmm - a morning of creating this post?? Ah well, it really makes me feel good.

Dear Islandfinn,

I was just thinking this morning, after seeing the latest NYT article, that it would be nice to see how many they've done so far, and how to easily access them. Lo and behold, here it all is, neatly packaged and ready to access. (I would never have gotten around to doing it.)

My first thought when I saw your post was, "wow, this must have taken some time!". And it looks like it did. And I thank you so much. For this post and the many others I've seen from you that have useful information.

Kind Regards, Wayne

leelaplay

thanks for the thanks tee and maxine - not needed, but nice to see

good catch levi - methinks you have a mind like a steel trap - mine is more of a steel sieve

wayne - what a lovely note - find myself wanting to hang my head with red cheeks, scuff the ground with my sneaker top and say "aw shucks"

have enjoyed your posts as well.

warm regards back