• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Theory - Histidine Depletion

xks201

An amino acid test I had showed histidine somewhat low. And then I thought about metabolic alkalosis and what the lungs do to decrease PH...they hold on to C02. Everyone here I have talked to seems to have breathing issues...infrequent and shallow breathing. Signs of metabolic alkalosis possibly. And they have gut problems. Signs of malabsorption...low HCL. Allergies and whatnot...creating more histamine depletion by the gut irritants of undigested food. The low histidine initially causes low stomach acid. Then the undigested food causes allergies depleting histidine/histmine further. Histidine should in theory increase the stomach acid and help the problem. Will let you guys know. Rich feel free to comment.

I feel best on digestive enzymes. Histamine acts as a neurotransmitter and wakes us up. I could see how this could be a vicious cycle.

nanonug

And they have gut problems.

In my opinion, this is the source of the problems in most cases.

The low histidine initially causes low stomach acid.

I lean towards low histidine being secondary to too much histamine production. I do have a problem with too much histamine and follow an aggressive methylation protocol to deal with this. However, I am convinced that, short of some mast cell activation disorder, there is an external trigger causing the problems. Last time, in my case, it was helicobacter pylori and bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. This time I am still waiting for lab results...

ukxmrv

I didn't have any breathing or gut problems in the early years of ME. It was an acute viral onset with sore throat, glands, upper respitory infection. Had breathing tests for problems in the UK during the early 90's and mine was fine.

How would low histidine cause the epidemic outbreaks of a viral looking illness like ME?

Not had histidine tested and certainly not saying that you are wrong or not part of the puzzle. Huge group of patients here so sure to be all sorts of causes / reactions etc.

xks201

Not saying it is every cause. I should have rearranged that. But for the people with gut problems I would be interested to see histidine levels.

hixxy

Might be an idea to get a blood histamine done and see if your histidine is low for the same reason as nanonug?

Did you have low levels of any other amino acids? If it was a nutritional problem, you'd think you'd have more than just histidine low.

hixxy

xks201

My histidine levels are low yes. Other amino acids were fine, if not great.