• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

best things for mood

hixxy

In my view, the key to having success with SSRIs is:

1. Avoid the bad ones, especially those that have anticholinergic properties. The SSRIs worth trying are escitalopram, sertraline and fluoxetine.

2. Start low and go slow. SSRIs are often overdosed. 1/4 - 1/2 regular dose is usually enough for a substantial improvement in mood, while avoiding side effects.

Some side effects in the beginning is normal, even for people without ME, and include restlessness, gastrointestinal issues and insomnia. They usually pass after about 2 weeks.

I tried all three, but only tolerated fluoxetine. I started at 5mg, and after 8 weeks increased to 10mg. I have tried 15mg a few times, but do not tolerate that dose. The regular dose is 20mg.

Pre-ME I tolerated Citalopram, so maybe I should give low dose Escitalopram a go. MY last doctor put me on Cymbalta and that was just crapola. I suspect I don't even have low norepinephrine.

adreno

PR activist
Pre-ME I tolerated Citalopram, so maybe I should give low dose Escitalopram a go. MY last doctor put me on Cymbalta and that was just crapola. I suspect I don't even have low norepinephrine.

You can get escitalopram in drops, so you can start with a very low dose.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
A recent study, i think last year said that zoloft and escitalopram had the best effect and side effect profile of the current ad's, supposedly better then the new snri's.
Good dhea levels can also have antidepressant effects too.

cheers!!!

hixxy

Zoloft gave me anger side effects when I tried it 7 years ago. It's apparently a common side effect.

hixxy

BEG

A recent study, i think last year said that zoloft and escitalopram had the best effect and side effect profile of the current ad's, supposedly better then the new snri's.
Good dhea levels can also have antidepressant effects too.

I take 1/2 tablet of zoloft. I couldn't get off Cymbalta (doesn't do a thing for mood but is excellent for pain), so I was prescribed Effexor. However, for some reason I cannot tolerate the SNRI's, so then I started Zoloft, which I tolerate very well.

I do believe in antidepressants. In the 80's, approx. 15 years before Fibro/CFS, I had a clinical depression. It wasn't the melancholy kind, but the kind of depression where you feel absolutely nothing (like a stone), I took a tricyclic antidepressant and it turned me around 360 degrees.

With ME/CFS it's more of a situational depression type thing where moods can be all over the place because of what we're dealing with on a daily basis. Since I've had both types of depression, I can tell you they bear no similarities whatsoever.

Another medication which improves mood is Lyrica. Has anyone else found that to be true?

xchocoholic

5htp, calling or visiting freinds, watching a funny movie or tv show, taking a walk and just getting out of the house. Tc .. X

hixxy

[I take 1/2 tablet of zoloft. I couldn't get off Cymbalta (doesn't do a thing for mood but is excellent for pain), so I was prescribed Effexor. However, for some reason I cannot tolerate the SNRI's, so then I started Zoloft, which I tolerate very well.

I do believe in antidepressants. In the 80's, approx. 15 years before Fibro/CFS, I had a clinical depression. It wasn't the melancholy kind, but the kind of depression where you feel absolutely nothing (like a stone), I took a tricyclic antidepressant and it turned me around 360 degrees.

With ME/CFS it's more of a situational depression type thing where moods can be all over the place because of what we're dealing with on a daily basis. Since I've had both types of depression, I can tell you they bear no similarities whatsoever.

Another medication which improves mood is Lyrica. Has anyone else found that to be true?

I too have had this complte numb feeling depression. I found it by far the wost of all! It makes you completely unable to function as a human being.

hixxy

SaraM

Hormones and amino acids after proper testing, and before taking antidepressants. Vitamins and minerals helped a little but not much.

hixxy

Raising my neurotransmitters nutritionally hasn't worked -- short of fixing methylation. Consequently I can't tolerate testosterone unless I can get my serotonin to go up or I become agitated and aggressive. Testosterone / serotonin ratio is important.

Low serotonin and testoerone supplementation equals mild roid rage!

hixxy

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i cant remember if u said u have tried it, but 5htp twice a day, maybe work up to 100mg twice a day, if it makes u sleepy then take it all at night. With the help of a doc some find very low dose ssri with 5htp can wok really well but there is a chance of serotonin syndrome.

cheers!!!

Bob

The problem with going into full doses is that many cfsers get terrible side effects from ssri's no matter how depressed one is. If i took full doses i woulnt sleep and be severly overstimulated until i got off them.
Also everyone react differently, personally i think tricyclics seem a better fit for cfsers as many arent overstimulating but can improve mood even with low doses as well. the best i have found was amitriptyline at 25mg, i had no side effects at all, no weight gain or increased sedation which are common with this. So i think it does come down to a trial and error thing with these meds and i would considered trying the 5 htp/tryptophan first and then tyrosine added later, if these dont work then look into ad's.

cheers!!!

I fully agree with heaps; I would definitely titrate antidepressants.

I think it's helpful to have this info. But my concern about this dicussion is that it could be dangerous for a patient suffering from depression not to follow the advise from their doctor. A patient with severe to moderate depression can be very vulnerable. So any changes to doses and meds need to be done in collaboration with the prescribing doctor. I just want to point that out, because depression can be a dangerous illness.

helen1

Niacinamide is also a serotonin precursor. My naturopath recommends that with 5HTP. I've found that it works for a while and then doesn't, so I also take st john's wort once in a while too.