• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Folate

Googsta

Doing Well
I'd really appreciate if someone could suggest a good source of active folate.

I want to give high dose vitamin B a try, I haven't had any Methylation Panels & to be honest I struggle to get my head around it all :p.
I take Jarrows Multi 1-3 (it's what I can afford) but it has Folic Acid, is that ok for the time being? i.e can I just take folate as well?

richvank

I'd really appreciate if someone could suggest a good source of active folate.

I want to give high dose vitamin B a try, I haven't had any Methylation Panels & to be honest I struggle to get my head around it all :p.
I take Jarrows Multi 1-3 (it's what I can afford) but it has Folic Acid, is that ok for the time being? i.e can I just take folate as well?

Hi, Googsta.

I believe that Thorne Research 5-MTHF is supplied in Australia from a company based in New Zealand.

You could try spacing the 5-MTHF two hours apart from the multi. Then they won't compete for absorption from the gut to the blood. There will still be competition for transport from the blood into the cells, but enough 5-MTHF will probably be able to get in. If not, you could raise its dosage.

Best regards,

Rich

hixxy

Go http://www.iherb.com/ Googsta. Anything bought inside Australia or New Zealand will cost twice as much and the shipping won't be much or any better either. It's also likely the length of time it takes for them to deliver won't be much better.

So there's absolutely no benefit in buying international brands locally.

In fact, I wouldn't even buy our local practitioner only brands. None of them even provide a full list of ingredients and excipients on the packaging.

nanonug

I take Jarrows Multi 1-3 (it's what I can afford) but it has Folic Acid, is that ok for the time being?

Unmetabolized folic acid is a potential problem. If you are at all able to avoid taking it, that would probably be a good thing. Thorne Research has this product called Methyl-Guard Plus. If you take just one capsule a day, it will give you quite a bit of what you need to keep methylation going at a price that I don't think breaks the bank.

Googsta

Doing Well
Thanks, I totally agree, everyone is getting ripped off/sucked in to the hype.

Love iHerb ;)

Thanks Nano, will definately give it a try.