• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Surprises from my visit with Dr Rey

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thanks, heaps!

As far as I can tell, my total lymphocyte count is fine -- 1.564 where normal range is 1.000 - 4.200

Where is seem to be messed up is in the CD4:CD8 ratio. The above source suggests it should be about 2:1. Mine is about 6:1. I also appear to be somewhat low in T cells relative to B and NK cells. My looks like about 66% T cells, 15% B cells, and 15% NK cells. (I know it doesn't add up to 100%, but I'm not sure where I'm missing something. Even if the missing 4% are T cells, I'm still at the very bottom of the 70-80% range.)

Not sure what that all means, though.

I think i mentioned it on another thread but if sub sets are high can indicate immune system fighting something? and cd8 is common with ebv and cmv. If sub sets low then immune system tiring out.

Be interesting to see how your dhea/cortisol is going, dhea can help with immune function etc.

I dont think anyone can fully understand t-cells, b-cells etc. b-cells from memory make antibodies to infections/past infections etc where t-cells and nk cells dont make antibodies but fight infections more directly, nk cells i think are a type of t-cell where b-cells are different to t-cells, so adding them may give u a number greater then 100% if that makes sense.

Total lymphocytes although within range are low, i wonder how immunoglobulin/gammaglobulin would improve your immune function??

Heres a link to an old cfs study that might interest u on t-cells, b-cells, coxsackie virus, herpes viruses etc http://www.cfids-cab.org/mess/lymphocyte.htm

cheers!!!

hixxy

Any gp can order a lyphocyte sub set test, if they can understand it is another storie. The basics is that if the lymphocyte subsets are elevated indicated the immune system is fighting something and if low then the immune system is starting to tire, simplistic view, also cd8 lymphocytes are commonly elevated in ebv and cmv infections.

The nk function test in australia was done by bond uni in a research study of cfs, not available outside of that, although the study is over now i did ask them how much it would cost to get this test done privately, they said they wont do it outside of research studies, bugger, otherwise go to the states to get the nk function test done??

cheers!!!

Last time I had a Lymphocyte count done, I had low CD3, CD4 and CD8. I'm getting blood drawn for Lymphocyte subsets next Monday. How useful are the results of this test likely to be? I'm also getting EBV, CMV, HHV-6 serology.

How have you found Dr Deed with being willing to look at new/experimental treatments?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Last time I had a Lymphocyte count done, I had low CD3, CD4 and CD8. I'm getting blood drawn for Lymphocyte subsets next Monday. How useful are the results of this test likely to be? I'm also getting EBV, CMV, HHV-6 serology.

How have you found Dr Deed with being willing to look at new/experimental treatments?

Dr Deed will prescibe antivirals if it looks like ebv, cmv or hhv6 appear to be reactivating. If your positive to any of the herpes viruses igm or igg and have abnormal high or low sub sets, i think he would let u trial antivirals, also antibiotics if theres a possible ongoing bacterial infection. Things like GcMAF im not sure as there isnt alot of info on it yet plus its dam hard to get in australia, same for ritux. but he is uptodate on alot of new things in cfs/me and if there is some proof of a treatment helping and has a good safety progile then i think he would help you out. Immunovir is something he said he has prescribed, the thing is with alot of these treatments in australia is that they are very expensive as they are off label and arent covered by medicare, but some treatments if u search enough like antivirals, u can find cheaper sources online etc.

cheers!!!

xrunner

My TNFalpha and IL 6 are in the normal range.

In what way does IL1beta have a direct impact on the HPA axis? Sadly, nothing in my notes from the doc tells me about IL1beta. I'm still doing a very crude internet search to see if I can understand the causes of these abnormalities. The simple answer I got from the doc is that my results are indicative of my body fighting off chronic infections for a long time. (Is that redundant?)

Well I'm not a doc but I'd agree that the ultimate cause of all these abnormalities, which most of us have, are infections. Then the big question for all of us is which ones?
Regarding IL1b (but other pro-inflammatory cytokines may do the same) my understanding is that it stimulates the hypothalamus to release ACTH which in turn stimulates the adrenals to release stress hormones. With time, this continuous stimulation makes the adrenals less and less able to keep up with constant demand for cortisol, dhea and other hormones. This state of chronic stress response then impact other parts of the our metabolism. That's my understanding on the subject.

SOC

Well I'm not a doc but I'd agree that the ultimate cause of all these abnormalities, which most of us have, are infections. Then the big question for all of us is which ones?
Regarding IL1b (but other pro-inflammatory cytokines may do the same) my understanding is that it stimulates the hypothalamus to release ACTH which in turn stimulates the adrenals to release stress hormones. With time, this continuous stimulation makes the adrenals less and less able to keep up with constant demand for cortisol, dhea and other hormones. This state of chronic stress response then impact other parts of the our metabolism. That's my understanding on the subject.

Thanks, xrunner, that makes a lot of sense.