• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effect of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on methylation enzymes

nanonug

This might be of use for those doing methylation protocols. What strikes me is that omega-3 fatty acids end up decreasing homocysteine levels by essentially up-regulating a portion of the transsulfuration pathway and down-regulating the methylation pathway. I am not sure that this is an altogether good thing.

"Effect of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid on gene expression of the critical enzymes involved in homocysteine metabolism"

Abstract

Background: Previous studies showed that plasma n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) was negatively associated with plasma homocysteine (Hcy).

Objective: We investigated the regulatory effect of n-3 PUFA on mRNA expression of the critical genes encoding the enzymes involved in Hcy metabolism.

Methods: HepG2 cells were treated with docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) respectively for 48 h. The cells were collected and total RNA was isolated. The mRNA expression levels of the genes were determined by using Real Time-PCR.

Results: Compared with controls, the mRNA expression levels of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) were significantly increased in the DHA group (p < 0.05) and ALA group (p < 0.05); Significantly down-regulated mRNA expression of methionine adenosyltransferase (MAT) was observed with the treatments compared with the controls; the level of MAT expression was significant lower in the DHA group than the ALA group (p < 0.05); Cystathionine-g-lyase (CSE) expression was significantly increased in the DHA (p < 0.05) and EPA groups (p < 0.05) compared with control. No significant changes were shown in mRNA expression levels of S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolases (SAHH), cystathionine b-synthase (CBS), and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate-homocysteine methyltransferase (MTR).

Conclusions: Our results suggest that DHA up-regulates CSE and MTHFR mRNA expression and down-regulates MAT mRNA expression involved in Hcy metabolism.

This might be of use for those doing methylation protocols. What strikes me is that omega-3 fatty acids end up decreasing homocysteine levels by essentially up-regulating a portion of the transsulfuration pathway and down-regulating the methylation pathway. I am not sure that this is an altogether good thing.

@nanonug - I'm not sure if your conclusion is correct - they say upregulates MTHFR which is the methylation pathway and CSE but not CBS, the latter standing above CSE in the transsulfuration pathway.

I guess Ben Lynch is relying on that study for his StrateGene reports.

Personally I've definetely felt the upregulating effects of DHA.

From the video above another interesting is cocoa :cautious:

Wonder if the culpit is the DHA(or ALA as Ben Lynch suggests) or the Omega-3 to omega-6 ratio :confused: