• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New biomarker test for ME/CFS: NADPH measurement at Riordan Clinic

adreno

PR activist
Biochemical effects of Ribose and nADH Therapy in children with Autism
http://www.la-press.com/redirect_fi...rapy-in-Children-with-Autism.pdf&fileType=pdf

The study found that both NADH and ribose can increase NADPH levels, with NADH being the most effective. Since NADH is converted to NAD before being phosphorylated to NADP (and later hydrolyzed to NADPH), maybe taking NAD would be just as effective. It's certainly cheaper. The advantage of NADH over NAD is that it would donate ATP.

adreno

PR activist
NAD is turning out to be really interesting:

"During chronic CNS inflammation, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) concentrations are altered by (T helper) Th1-derived cytokines through the coordinated induction of both indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO) and the ADP cyclase CD38 in pathogenic microglia and lymphocytes. While IDO activation may keep auto-reactive T cells in check, hyper-activation of IDO can leave neuronal CNS cells starving for extracellular sources of NAD. Existing data indicate that glia may serve critical functions as an essential supplier of NAD to neurons during times of stress. Administration of pharmacological doses of non-tryptophan NAD precursors ameliorates pathogenesis in animal models of MS. Animal models of MS involve artificially stimulated autoimmune attack of myelin by experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) or by viral-mediated demyelination using Thieler's murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV). The Wld(S) mouse dramatically resists razor axotomy mediated axonal degeneration. This resistance is due to increased efficiency of NAD biosynthesis that delays stress-induced depletion of axonal NAD and ATP."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19149604/

SOC

Shall we make it n=3? I'll order some, too.

Any idea what a "pharmacolgical dose" is?

SOC

I just started Equilibrant, so I'm waiting to settle in with that before I start NAD. I do have it, though, ready to go as soon as is reasonable.

hixxy

Just my experience, but I found sublingual NADH supplements to be very short-acting and couldn't be taken on consecutive days without experiencing a severe crash.

I've found this same thing happens with anything that can give a sudden, significant burst of energy. It's like your body burns through all it's stores rapidly and leaves you in a depleted state.

hixxy

Guido den Broeder

Hi Inester,

I am not sure there is a supplement to increase NADPH, but others may know more. I was told that this was typical for low mitochondrial function (if I remember correctly).

As to the quote, not sure what the relation of NADPH oxidase activation is in relation to levels of NADPH. We need someone with more knowledge here! Also decreasing the level of proinflammatory cytokines by down regulating brain macrophage-like cells sounds like a trade off. We don't want the inflammation but we do need the action of macrophages (not sure what macrophage-like cells are) in order to go after pathogens.

This is one of the balances doctors try to achieve when giving GcMAF--it activates macrophages and this produces inflammation, so they try to give a low enough dose to activate enough macrophages to do the work, but not to activate too many which can make inflammation worse. They also give other things to lower inflammation.

Best,
Sushi

Best,
Sushi

What would the effect of Methylene Blue as a supplement be?

SOC

Has anyone tried the NAD yet?

I started NAD (today is the 3rd day) and I'm surprised to find that so far I have noticed a significant positive effect. I feel like I have more energy, but since it's early days I'm not deliberately changing my activity level. Want to make sure the effect lasts before I go messing with an energy envelope that works.

More surprisingly, my HR is noticeably changed. My HR upon waking has dropped steadily from 88 bpm to 78 bpm.
At the same time, my HR supine after being up and about for 5-10 mins has locked in at 104 bpm where previously it varied on a daily basis between 100 bpm and 116 bpm.

This could be a data blip, or it may be related to NAD but not lasting, or it may be the effect of Equilibrant (I started that 6 weeks ago at a low dose). Thought it was interesting enough to share, though. :)

Enid

Thanks Rich - all your hard work and knowledge - what sets this crazy cascade of pathological events will be so nice to know one day too.

adreno

PR activist
How did this NAD / NADPH experiment go? Did anyone get any positive results from it?
I still find NAD helpful. Then again, I seem to prefer all the B vitamins in their active form. B3 seems very important for balancing methylation.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I know the B vits are better taken together rather than in isolation, I would like to try this form of B3 any suggestions for sublingual mixes in this coenzymated form?

adreno

PR activist
I know the B vits are better taken together rather than in isolation, I would like to try this form of B3 any suggestions for sublingual mixes in this coenzymated form?
I take all my B vits individually, but more or less the same time. MB12, ADB12, 5MTHF and NAD sublingually before breakfast. R5P, P5P, pantethine and biotin with breakfast.