• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy metal detox while still having amalgam fillings

hixxy

Are there any forms of heavy metal detox that are safe while still having amalgum fillings? My MCS is so severe that it's virtually impossible for me to go out and about let alone to a dentist where I'd have to remove my mask and hold my mouth open! I was booked in earlier this year to have my amalgams removed, but had to cancel. I only have 3 small fillings.

Hanna

Would also love to get an answer. I had an amalgam removed last january ( by bio dentistery trained doc), but overwhelmed by exhaustion, so I keep with my last filling for the moment... But I would like to tackle this problem too (chlorella is a no-no for me)

xrunner

I have had all my amalgams removed a few weeks ago. During removal and continuing, I just followed the SMP to boost methylation and part to the Andy Cutler support protocol that doesn't overlap with the SMP, notably milk thistle, chromium, vitamin c. Heavy metals are detoxified through the methylation pathway, so I reckoned that I needed to be safe on that side.
I'm not expert on MCS, but I have read in various places that it may be linked to methylation problems and, if I remember, the Ziem's protocol uses high doses of B12 and other.
Note that Cutler warns against the use of chlorella because it can mobilise mercury but apparently it can't hold it safely which can cause it to be reabsorbed/redistributed and damage in the process. He also says that supplemented glutathione can do the same as other sulfur-based supplements and foods.
I have also used Naet to detoxify mercury from specific body organs and tissues and I certainly felt a difference with this treatment. I doubt it can help with MCS but it can with other sensititvities and overall detox.

undcvr

While you are mobilising the Mercury take a diuretic at the sametime or soon after. The rationale is that Mercury toxins are water soluble, if you have somehow managed to mobilise them, do not allow them to resettle in your system by forcing them out in your urine. You will need your kidneys to work harder and more efficiently for awhile. Any detox supplement is good for that. Pectin, Dandelion or Juniper.

hixxy

MCS is such a pain in the ass. Prevents you from getting the care you need. I have 3 fillings only in 2 teeth, but I also have 2 root canals that I'd like removed, but it's pretty much impossible. I really should have addressed this before I got so bad, but I went to a holistic dentist who is qualified to remove amalgams and he said he didn't think they were a problem, so I left it.

Silly silly. Better to be safe then sorry as I'm now finding out.

I also had a DMPS challenge test done last year, which didn't show significant levels of heavy metals (the range of heavy metals tested for wasn't huge). Thing is, during the DMPS infusion I had major neurological troubles and a worsening of my neurological symptoms for a couple of weeks after. I would expect this wouldn't happen unless something was moving??

nanonug

Thing is, during the DMPS infusion I had major neurological troubles and a worsening of my neurological symptoms for a couple of weeks after. I would expect this wouldn't happen unless something was moving??

That would be my guess. If you have to do it again, it would probably make sense to get a glutathione shot just prior to the challenge/chelation. Although I did my chelation 10 years ago or so, I am pretty sure I always got a glutathione shot prior. But the amalgam fillings had all been removed!

I had no idea. I need more info on this. I can't replace my fillings :(

A few years back I used a bottle of chlorella and didn't think I had bad effects.

hixxy

I had no idea. I need more info on this. I can't replace my fillings :(

A few years back I used a bottle of chlorella and didn't think I had bad effects.

why aren't you able to have yours removed? I truely hope I can improve enough at some point to have my amalgams and root canals remove. I'd be very surprised if they're not causing me problems. I got my root canals the same year my health collapsed.

Money, and maybe other factors.

I have so much amalgam :(

I speculate some people are sensitive and some are not. I don't remember being worse whenever I had a filling break. Or when I had another filling added. If it was a delayed crash, maybe I didn't make the connection. IMO that may mean nothing because I suspect the first few fillings would have the most impact.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have wondered about this issue for some while as well. I wonder if i had a heavy metals test and was found to have them in my body (but not high mercury) and needed to chelate, would i have to have the fillings removed? would chelating without removing them pull the mercury from them into the body?

It would probably cost me a few thousand pounds to have mine replaced, plus extensive travelling and costs of travel etc to find a holisitc dentist who would do it properly - i live in a remote part of Britain with no dentists like that near me. I couldnt afford to have them replaced. Wish that i could contemplate it - but then i dont know if it is even worthwhile.
all the best, Justy.

hixxy

It's almost impossible to know if it's going to beneficial until you've had it done and done the clean up process afterwards. I have really really severe grinding problem. Even when I'm awake and MCS reactions make it far worse. The grinding got a lot worse after some antibiotics years ago, but no amount of fixing my gut has been able to rectify it. I suspect all this grinding has been releasing lots of mercury from my amalgams. My bite is pretty much destroyed.

@hixxy - I second the Cutler supports (not chelators). I have not heard of any chelators that are safe to take with amalgam. Anything that moves mercury may take the metal out of your teeth!

Methylation with activated charcoal might be good for "natural" detox. Caledonia might be able to talk methylation more.

@justy - Chelating for a while might show a difference. I remember reading about how doing chelation first would change hair/urine test values for some folks. Amalgam would need to be removed prior to chelation.

@SickOfSickness - Dr. Cutler talked about how the mercury level is highest in the blood about 6 months after removal. You may not notice an immediate effect.

(Edit: Oops. I totally did not realize how dated some of these posts were.)

Last edited:

sregan

I had my final 2 (I had 12+ at my peak) removed about 2 years ago by a member of the IAOMT.

I initially responded very well to chlorella before the amalgams were removed but that initial reaction was to remain that. Later attempts were not as successful. One guy suggested that the solution was to take more chlorella. Makes sense if it mops up the Hg the body will release more (just like Cutler tells us how to take DMSA) so you need more of the chelator to grab it.

One thing that got me thinking is that WHILE the chelator or sulfur or whatever is removing mercury what is removing the combined chelator/mercury? If it's passing through the bladder you're probably fine (Pectasol?)

If it's supposed to go the liver/bile/bowel route then the possibility of being reabsorbed is something to seriously consider. The bowel is very permeable and the use of a binder to grab the chelator+Hg is something to be considered. (Charcoal, Bentonite, etc)

I read not to take chorella and cilantro if you have amalgams. I still have old amalgams. I got two out, months apart. I didn't take any supplements for removing them. I didn't have problems after removal. I can't get the others out for years.

ahmo

My understanding is that it's cilantro you should avoid, as it mobilizes mercury, could send it into brain. But chlorella mops up metals that are in the system.

I've used footbaths w/ clay and charcoal to move things out of the body. But now I rely on coffee enemas. I really feel it when toxins, including metals, are being released, and clogging liver. A week ago I had an old crown removed. I avoided cilantro during my focussed detox of metals, because I didn't know whether there was any amalgam under them. Since this removal, my body is requesting (per self-testing) metal magnet products, which it hasn't for the months since a major detox event in May. I can only assume there was, indeed, something noxious underneath.

I've compiled my posts re coffee enemas in a blog post. I began adding chlorella to the water enemas before and after the CEs. These last days my body has wanted not just 1, but 2 Tb chlorella in each of those.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/my-detox-story-coffee-enemas.1616/

When my current fulvic/humic metal magnet runs out I'll be switching to zeolites. Here's some info from my compounding chemist.
http://www.custommedicine.com.au/health-articles/zeolites/
Zeolite has shown to attract mercury, cadmium, lead, arsenic and other heavy metals first because they carry a much greater positive charge than other molecules. Minerals with a lower positive charge such as calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium have a lessor affinity.

Zeolites also have an unusual property called their ‘cation exchange’. They are able to attract and hold higher positive charged molecules and release lower positive charged particles that they may have attracted previously back into the surrounding environment. This cation exchange can be measured and varies from one zeolite to another depending on how the zeolite was originally formed.

It is negatively charged and therefore attracts and captures harmful substances with a positive charge which includes heavy metals and certain organic toxins. Zeolites travel through the body as crystal cages attracting heavy metals and other toxins like pesticides, dioxins and PCB’s just as a magnet would attract iron filings. The zeolite-toxin inclusion complex then both pass out of the body within the next 6 to 8 hours or so.

As previously mentioned Zeolites generally have a low affinity for calcium, magnesium, potassium etc and a high affinity for lead, mercury, arsenic and cadmium. Unlike other chelators, zeolites actually prefer mercury and lead to the essential minerals. The toxic minerals are structurally much smaller than the essential minerals and therefore fit better into the crystalline cage structure- they actually push the good minerals out. Atomic absorption spectroscopy studies have revealed that the selectivity of zeolite for toxic minerals is in the following order (highest attraction first):

Found this in google. I think it means Chlorella is bad for me. "Chlorella can mobilize mercury from inside the brain and from non-neurological structures (muscles, ligaments, connective tissue and bone)."

This makes cilantro sound good but other sources say not to use with existing amalgams. "Shown in clinical trials and research to mobilize mercury, lead tin and other toxic metals stored in the brain and spinal cord and moves them rapidly out of those tissues. This is a revolutionary discovery and makes Cilantro the first known substance that mobilizes mercury from the CNS (Central Nervous System)."

Spirulina may be ok.

Just by pure coincidence I was reading a book last night which is saying the most dangerous forms of Mercury, (Incidentally Mercury is a substance we all eat in food every day), is methyl mercury and apparently it's very nasty stuff.
Whether this is important when taking sub-lingual methylcobalamin, or in detoxing as you are discussing, I have no idea. But it's a curious thought.